HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:37 pm 

Good! This is the sort of stuff you want on the internet.

Try forwarding them a link to this page and tell them to show where in the photos they see no evidence of leaks.

I'd probably just get a lawyer to send them a letter demanding action. It's not terribly expensive to have that done and it might get them to take you more seriously if they think a lawsuit might happen.

This is exactly why I'll never buy a house from a builder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm 

Quote:
"While ice damming is not a warrantable issue through Mattamy Homes or Tarion, due to it being preventable through Homeowner maintenance"

This is such a crock, makes me so angry. What a joke.

Good luck, buddy. Keep at it, and not just in here. I think you need to make some calls, some big ones. I don't think I've seen an episode of CBC's Marketplace on new home builders. Though, would they or any other media touch such a sacred cow as the Canadian real estate racket?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:35 pm 

Thanks.
My next step is post it on facebook and add mattamy tag. If things still not get solved, I will go to the lawer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:52 pm 

Milton_Eric wrote:
As for my dinning room leaking, Mattamy can't explain how ice damming water passed the wall enter my lower floor dinning room. They just refuse to fix. Here is Mattamy reply.
"While ice damming is not a warrantable issue through Mattamy Homes or Tarion, due to it being preventable through Homeowner maintenance"

Actually,,, the Ontario Building Code specifically requires that roofs be installed to prevent leakage from ice damming so Mattamy and Tarion are both wrong. They are wrong because Tarions rules are irrelevant when OBC rules are more stringent.

And BTW, ice damming is only really preventable when insulation in attics is done properly and Mattamy homes have numerous and common insulation problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 pm 

Great, Andy, Thanks for this info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 am 

The government should set up a Karma agency that secretly scours the country for people who treat others like crap. Once identified, they screw with you by having you audited, ‘accidently’ placed on no fly lists, or suspending your license for no reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 am 

Bring in a second opinion. It may cost you a bit but you can throw it in the face.

We had an issue when we first moved in with MOLD growing in our basement. Mold spores were higher inside my house then they were outside. They tried everything not to deal with it. I even called Tarion and they sided with the builder saying this was our doing - no surprise there. I called a remediation company to test the air and type of mold growing and it was bad. Threw the report at them and told them " I don't have a problem?" Others on my street had the same issue and they just listened to the builder, but I fought tooth and nail and got a full remediation done on my home $$$, air ducks cleaned, money for damages to my belongings etc.....

Don't give in to them. Like someone mentioned earlier the simple fixes, no problem. When it something that will cost them, they try to weasel their way out of fixing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:26 pm 

IMO, one of the leaks is between the wall and the roof where the downspout discharges on the roof. IMO, it is leaking because there is a problem with the "step flashing" behind the siding. Only way to fix it is to take down the wall and re-do the flashing. The cheater repair would be to extend the downspout to the lower gutter but that will just make the leak not as active.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:10 pm 

My heartbreak, below is what Mattamy replied me today and they still refused to repair the two leaks:

1. In regards to the ice damming; your home was built in accordance to the Ontario Building Code and passed all municipal inspections. Mattamy Homes considers this issue resolved and will be taking no further action.
2. As described earlier, no leak was found in the master bedroom so no further action can be taken at this time.

But I will not give up. I will share all the photos on my facebook to let people know how Mattamy build a leaking house and not repair it. I will file it on Tarion form. I will ask my lawyer send a letter to Mattamy. I will meet Mattamy at the court and let Judge to tell who should responsible for the leakings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:16 pm 

Mattamy is lying. From the photos I can see the leak is casued by defect in work and also Mattamy didn't put enought insulations that caused the ice dam leaks.
It's Mattamy's responsibility to repair the leak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 pm 

Milton_Eric wrote:
My heartbreak, below is what Mattamy replied me today and they still refused to repair the two leaks:

1. In regards to the ice damming; your home was built in accordance to the Ontario Building Code and passed all municipal inspections. Mattamy Homes considers this issue resolved and will be taking no further action.

At the final stages of construction, municipal "inspections" are fairly brief. As for the statement "your home was built in accordance to the Ontario Building Code", that has yet to be determined but, after all, if it was built properly you would not have leaks.

Something is strange about this whole thing. Mattamy warranty people can be difficult sometimes but not usually this aggressive in their denial of a clearly obvious problems.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:45 pm 

Thanks. I received the denial from the Customer Care Manager Chris and the warranty manager is in the CC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:50 pm 

I have a question, how does Mattamy know the ice dam is not defect of the work or materials, etc?
Also my another leaking in bedroom few days ago, that can't be ice dam. Mattamy also refused to fix because they came it was dry. They didn't even go to rooftop check.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:17 pm 

Here are more pictures showing the quality of Mattamy home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next