HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:13 pm 

While you're at Bergsma's, look into this line:

http://www.sansin.com/decks_and_exteriors/decks/

I'd like to dip a toe into the world of the "upper tier" finishes, to see if it's actually worth it to spend up to 2x the price of common retail lines as found in riff-raff establishments like HD and CTC. The bigger difference may be to choose between oil and water-bases.

Last edited by B&T402 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:37 pm 

Yer, oil is a chem-bomb I can do without too. Although it's said to be more readily absorbed into wood fibres, and be less prone to adhesion / flaking problems. It won't banish trapped moisture though, and application temperature is still important. Apparently it tends to fade over time, and that's what prompts re-coating every 2-ish years, the same time interval I've used with water-based.

Here's what I've used twice (2011, 2013) and as I said I'm not really disappointed with it. Mainly due to the fact that I have made the correct mental adjustment: I'm going to always need to re-coat this thing. That's ok, I kind of like doing it.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cil-woo ... tre/916455

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:41 am 

Here's your basic process if you want max results with minimum effort.

Step1: Powerwash thoroughly using a light or medium tip (depends on the softness of your wood) with an ECO-friendly deck cleaner. If the wood is getting damaged, then use lighter setting and pull nozzle further away from surface. This is not to strip, but to clean, so you dont grind the dirt into the wood when you sand. Rinse thorougly and let stand minimum 2 sunny days to dry.

Step2: Sand all surfaces thoroughly with a 120 to 150-grit sandpaper (again, depending on the softness of the wood) to remove all loose stain and open the pores of the wood to receive the new product. If you have a large deck then the floor sander is a good option, but will cost you $100+ to rent with appropriate pads and sandpaper sheets. Use palm or orbital on railiings and small areas. Blow away all dust with shop-vac or leaf blower. Then sweep to pick up any remaining dust.

Step 3: Apply a high-quality solid stain that is rated for walking surfaces (not all are). The solid will cover the old crap like paint, but will penetrate and stick like stain. Use a stain brush or pad. Do not use a roller. Wait prescribed drying time for your product and apply a second coat in same manner - likely next day based on the size of your deck. Wait prescribed time on label before putting your bbq or furniture back.

Do not apply in direct sunlight or high-heat. Morning or evening shade is the best.

If it rains, wait at least a day to apply stain. 2 or 3 if heavy rain.

The best solid stains I've used are Cabot (Sherwin), Flood (Dulux), and Pratt & Lambert (Comfi). Do not use Behr - it lifts within 2 yrs.

GL with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:53 pm 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a company to refinishing my deck?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:11 pm 

Prickly Decks?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 pm 

Dan Drmanic wrote:

The poster before PP`s post is Paint by Numbers, a painting contractor. I presume they are for hire to do decks, unless the purpose of him giving out advice is to stop getting deck calls :wink: Worth a call at least to start, I`ve heard they`re good.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
Prickly Decks?

Screw that. Of all the bullshit DIY's I've done, this one is the most annoying. Dependant on weather AND time? Yeesh.

And the lattice. Dear god so much lattice.
:D Don't worry it's dark out now, it will look much better now, go get another beer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 am 

B&T402 wrote:
Dan Drmanic wrote:

The poster before PP`s post is Paint by Numbers, a painting contractor. I presume they are for hire to do decks, unless the purpose of him giving out advice is to stop getting deck calls :wink: Worth a call at least to start, I`ve heard they`re good.

Thanks for the props!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:20 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
Burrcold wrote:
Prickly Decks?

Screw that. Of all the bullshit DIY's I've done, this one is the most annoying. Dependant on weather AND time? Yeesh.

And the lattice. Dear god so much lattice.

But you make it sound so appealing!

prickly_pete wrote:
Painting lattice sucks giant anal-sex-in-grade-2 balls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:16 am 

All this lattice talk reminders me of our fence in our last house. We wanted to stain before listing and had someone do it. Got a real friendly visit from the neighbour behind (who was always a treat) that some stain got on her side. Ugh!

Fortunately our guy was a straight up guy and dealt directly with her to remedy on his dime. I'm guessing she milked it good. Probably Had him repaint The deck, the fence, her upstairs bathroom, the kitchen....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 am 

We are in the process of re-staining our cedar deck - just getting all the prep work done. Does anyone have any updated (from this thread or from recent experience) advice on which stain to use? The vertical boards on our deck have held up well in regards to stain. We have been sanding the stain off but some boards are perfectly fine. The floor boards have been stripped completely (did this last year - large deck) so we will give them a clean and sand. Our thoughts are to do a bit of a two-tone deck with a deep mahogany colour on the verticals and a semi-transparent on the floor boards. Has anyone tried some of the new stains at Bergsma?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:41 pm 

I would probably use something like this - http://www.behr.com/consumer_ca/products/wood-stains-finishes-cleaners-and-strippers/behr-premium-transparent-waterproofing-wood-finish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm 

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/penet ... timber-oil

I used this September 2016 to pretty good effect, thinking I'll continue with it going forward, or at least this type of material now that they are making oils to comply with VOC laws here. 10 YO declasse PT pine. It states it's good for cedar.

There is no perfect product when it comes to this subject, but this wil be better than peeling / flaking coatings, which I believe I'll never deal with again. Quite spendy, almost double the cost of other stuff. A tad slippery for a few weeks after application, beware. A very slight colour fade in open exposed areas, but nothing severe.

After fastidious surface prep, it went on the easiest I've ever experienced, roller and rags. Cleanup was extremely easy, I just tossed it all (once dried) which I think is the smallest environmental impact considering how much solvent you would need to drain to save a roller. Same as other products too by the way. Going to let it go into 2018, and we'll see what my recoat interval will be. I won't bother to be surprised if I'm doing it at the same as water-based, but surface prep should be easier *knocks wood* I'll try to make this my last entry on this thread, getting a bit sick of dealing with this. Next deck will be composite.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm 

Let's talk about decks baby, let's talk about all the good things that May be