HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 am 

The right move for sure. We cannot possibly sleep in hot conditions - that is for suckers. Like not having an ice maker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am 

My AC broke down due to the same reason. I use magic chop stick to push the fan running for few days to stay cool, which it means fan & compressor are good. The capacitor is 45/5. 370. I find A1 electronic nearby sherway gardens sell all types of AC capacitor. each cost about 24 dollars. The contractor will charge 100 for checking & part & labor as addition. I am going to buy one more as spare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:54 pm 

mike_milton wrote:
My AC broke down due to the same reason. I use magic chop stick to push the fan running for few days to stay cool, which it means fan & compressor are good. The capacitor is 45/5. 370. I find A1 electronic nearby sherway gardens sell all types of AC capacitor. each cost about 24 dollars. The contractor will charge 100 for checking & part & labor as addition. I am going to buy one more as spare.

$24 is a good average price for these. I paid $40 plus $20 tip cause it was a sunday after 3 pm. Someone here thinks I was being cheap but it was total opposite I didnt want my AC down.

I notice you said 370 volts. If you have a 370 volt unit upgrade the cap to 440 volt the only difference between the 370 and 440 is the 440 volt has more insulation (less likley to fail) a good HVAC person would do the same.

I only changed mine myself because I fully understand what I was doing and know it was done right and safe. Good job on changing yours too.

Also a tip dont only kill the power to the ac but also the furnace when doing this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm 

My AC is Carrier & works for 10 years so far. The original capacitor is 45/5 & 370. Therefore I bought an exact after market part. there are lots of you tube video. At least I survived & did not get myself BBQed. :wink: