HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 am 

Not sure if anyone can help me out, but my fridge freezer has been giving me issues. I have a Kenmore and its about 6 years old. The freezer motor has been constantly running for a couple weeks now and certain foods don't seem to be properly freezing. For example, bread does not freeze and ice cream is soft. Weird thing is, a couple days ago i checked and the bread was fully frozen so i thought things were fine. But i checked today and the bread had thawed. Meat seems to be fine and I am able to make Ice. Anyone have any ideas? I want to call a technician but want to make sure I have done everything i can do. I tried cleaning the coils underneath the fridge but i can only access the very front coil. I'm guessing i need to get the special brush to access the back ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:33 pm 

If things go wrong, it's a lot of heartache with spoiled or worse contaminated frozen foods. Call these folks to have come a look. They are close by, reasonably priced and very good at minor repairs.

http://www.appliancedepotmilton.com/contact/contact.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:37 pm 

I'd start with a full defrost. Often defrosting the freezer (let it thaw completely for a day) will solve the problem. Of course make sure there is proper ventilation around it. Probably the coils are frozen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:15 pm 

i will try the defrost method. just gotta figure out how to temporarily store existing food

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm 

Have you verified what temperature it actually is inside?

From your post it sounds like freezer is running, but is unable to keep cold enough during hot days

And check the door is actually closed/sealed properly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:08 pm 

any idea on how to check the door is sealed properly? it seems to be shut pretty tight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 pm 

Any frost build up inside the door?
Thats a sure sign that its not sealed properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:05 am 

So i did a full defrost by unplugging overnight. I plugged the fridge back in last night and put the food back in (should have waited to do this).
This morning opened the fridge and everything has thawed and the fridge isn't cold. The fridge is running as the fan is on running. Did i do something wrong? Do i need to wait longer for the fridge to get tot the right temperature?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:19 pm 

so seems like there's a leak in the system and freon isn't flowing properly. will cost $400 to fix.... guess i shoulda gotten the extended warranty....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 am 

What brand was your 'fridge? My bet is Samsung or LG..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:44 am 

it's a kenmore elite. So I'm guessing LG made it? unfortunate since its only about 6 years old. my last fridge lasted 15 years.
the fridge is working fine but the freezer is constantly running since it can't reach expected temperature. It can make ice but can't fully freeze some foods like bread. Thinking about just getting a chest freezer since fridge still works but not sure if that would be the best long term solution....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
popius wrote:
it's a kenmore elite. So I'm guessing LG made it? unfortunate since its only about 6 years old. my last fridge lasted 15 years.
the fridge is working fine but the freezer is constantly running since it can't reach expected temperature. It can make ice but can't fully freeze some foods like bread. Thinking about just getting a chest freezer since fridge still works but not sure if that would be the best long term solution....

What did the experts at Applicance Depot say?

i could pay the $400 to fix, but it will likely fail again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
That's it? No other details? That... makes no sense.

what else should i expect? It's either I say ok and fix it and they'll proceed to get part and fix, or I buy new one. No temp fix can be done

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:37 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
popius wrote:
prickly_pete wrote:
That's it? No other details? That... makes no sense.

what else should i expect? It's either I say ok and fix it and they'll proceed to get part and fix, or I buy new one. No temp fix can be done

Fix what? And why would it just automatically fail again?

I sounds like you need a new fridge then. Not sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for.
To be low on gas you have a leak. To fix the problem the remaining freon must be removed, then nitrogen w/dye (I think) is added, the dye lets the tech see the leak. If there is multiple leaks then the whole system needs replacing, cost is huge so it's time to scrap the unit. A leak fix means welding, dye testing again then nitrogen removed and freon added. It is a time consuming job. As for "fail again" it is very likely to spring another leak but depends on the local of the first leak. Cheap fridges usually use inferior tubing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:38 am 

well i bought a chest freezer for the time being. Im just wondering whether it is ok to let the unit be as it is since the fridge is still running and just put freezer stuff in the chest freezer. problem is the fridge is constantly running so will eventually burn out....
annoyed since the fridge wasn't a cheap fridge.