HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:17 am 

Looks like the Conservatives aren't wasting any time. Lisa Raitt has put signs up throughout the town yesterday after the announcement. I was in Burlington and the Hamilton area late last night and didn't see a single election sign. Clearly someone couldn't resist in town. Wonder who's next to litter to corners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:32 am 

:?: What do you expect? The election campaign has started. :?

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am 

The election was called yesterday... Makes sense to see signs no?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 am 

Let the slagging war begin...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 pm 

I'm aware the election campaign has started but literally hours within the announcement they were there.
Usually when parties hear this they need to get signs made and such, no? I expected at least a couple days before we saw this.

Now that she's running and not running to the private sector for a job, where does she stand with the CN rail issue?
Last I heard she's been dodging the issue and not giving a clear answer where she stands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:42 pm 

thenay wrote:
I'm aware the election campaign has started but literally hours within the announcement they were there.
Usually when parties hear this they need to get signs made and such, no? I expected at least a couple days before we saw this.

Now that she's running and not running to the private sector for a job, where does she stand with the CN rail issue?
Last I heard she's been dodging the issue and not giving a clear answer where she stands.

Everyone knew the election was coming soon so having a plan to place signs is not a miraculous achievement, it's to be expected. She no doubt had signs kicking around from last election anyways.

As far as CN goes, and as frustrating as it is, apparently Raitt is doing what I guess one expect her to do in her position. She is waiting for the environmental study to come to a conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 pm 

Id say that the fact she has signs up already shows her level of attentiveness and dedication, unlike some of the other cadidates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:21 pm 

I am surprised she is actually running considering she has not helped us in the slightest with the CN issue by completely dodging it. Yes the environmental study is an important part but as our LOCAL MP and her role as the TRANSPORTATION minister, I don't understand how she justifies it has nothing to do with her. I hope she tanks completely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 am 

thenay wrote:
Looks like the Conservatives aren't wasting any time. Lisa Raitt has put signs up throughout the town yesterday after the announcement. I was in Burlington and the Hamilton area late last night and didn't see a single election sign. Clearly someone couldn't resist in town. Wonder who's next to litter to corners.

The Liberal candidate is much worst.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:23 am 

Jeff and Priscilla wrote:
I am surprised she is actually running considering she has not helped us in the slightest with the CN issue by completely dodging it. Yes the environmental study is an important part but as our LOCAL MP and her role as the TRANSPORTATION minister, I don't understand how she justifies it has nothing to do with her. I hope she tanks completely.

Do you expect that she would just issue a "proclamation" that CN can't do an intermodal because she says so? she is on record saying they must follow all policies and procedures, and that she wants them to work with the town.

If she had gone heavy hand, we would have heard all about abuse of power by the government and our local MP.

Try focusing your energy on the ones who knew the intermodal was coming for the last 18 months, but wanted it keep quiet during the municipal election - even though Krantz said they were "blindsided", it was known at least at regional council, of which he is a member, that this was coming.

As far as I know and have read (always subject to correction), Lisa was at least honest with her comments. our local politicians, not so much!

As for the election signs, the date of the election has been set at Oct. 19th for quite some time. the only question was how long would the campaign be. Once it leaked last week that the election campaign was being called on Sunday, every candidate should have had their signs ready to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:34 am 

Didn't want to start a new thread so I though I'd ask here.

I've read that 50% of all monies spent by the parties on the campaign, is reimbursed by tax payers. also this reimbursement is not taxed (like charitable donations) so we lose any revenue we could have gotten back this way. So in a way the tax payer is almost paying twice here? The media is estimating that Harper dropping the writ this early will cost taxpayers in excess of $100 million dollars.

How is this CPC fiscal responsibility?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:37 am 

rickp wrote:

Do you expect that she would just issue a "proclamation" that CN can't do an intermodal because she says so? she is on record saying they must follow all policies and procedures, and that she wants them to work with the town.

No, but she could table a motion to abolish the antiquated law that gives railroads rights to bypass local council approvals. A law that was in place to protect crown corporations, which CN is no longer. Hiding behind an EA is a cop-out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:55 am 

No signs yet for Lisa Raitt, but lots of signs for the Liberal candidate Azim Rizvee in our neighbourhood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 am 

Sandeep wrote:
rickp wrote:

No, but she could table a motion to abolish the antiquated law that gives railroads rights to bypass local council approvals. A law that was in place to protect crown corporations, which CN is no longer. Hiding behind an EA is a cop-out.

Well that’s a completely unrealistic expectation.

She could have also gone on a hunger strike and whipped herself bloody in the streets of Milton until Harper agreed to personally intervene.

Instead she did exactly the same thing that any MP from any party would have done in the same situation. Shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am 

Azim is putting out mural sized signs along Derry. Is there some restriction on the size of these things? You could hide a CN intermodal behind one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next