HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:52 pm 

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/5814566-town-of-milton-will-have-to-pay-to-rebuild-playground-destroyed-by-book-burning-brothers/
Quote:
The Town of Milton is on the hook for over $41,000 after two Milton students burned their school books at Brookville Park, setting the entire playground on fire.

Quote:
On August 2, two brothers, anxious to rid their backpacks of school books and paperwork, went to the park to burn the material, and accidentally set the playground on fire.

According to Milton Fire Department (MFD) Chief Dave Pratt, after the fire was extinguished police found the names of the boys on the school books and visited their homes.

“To the boys’ credit, they did go home and tell their parents what happened,” Pratt told the Champion.

The $41,141 to replace the playground structure is being funded from the Town’s insurance reserve.

I hope the parents pay some of that back. They should have contacted the police once the boys told them, instead of waiting to visited by the officers. I'm really glad no one was hurt. Time for us all to chat with our kids about fire safety.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:23 pm 

That should read 'Milton Taxpayers on the hook'. They should definitely be on the hook for some of it. Even if its a token amount of $500 per kid so there is some consequence. So sad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:43 am 

Ask those parents to pay for the increase in the insurance premium of the Milton Parks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:33 am 

so if those kids burned down the school by accident, the parents should pay for an entire school?
Insurance is there just for this situation, it's foolish to not use it.
Those kids spent the entire summer volunteering at the FD. I think they learned their lesson.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 am 

I have to agree. I think kids make mistakes and we shouldn’t go looking to draw blood every time it happens.

If the police feel like the kids are from a good home and just slipped up, then a summer doing fire safety classes seems perfectly appropriate. I don’t see why we need to punish the parents too. Just making sure this never happens again is good enough for me.

40K is nothing. That’s like the salary of one teacher doing no work over the summer break. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:27 pm 

I don't see anywhere people asking for them to pay the full amount. I think Annie was looking for the parents to pay 'some', and I threw out $500/kid.

'All summer at the firehall' -- It happened in August, so maybe 'all August', but they had all of July to F around and dream about setting playground equipment on fire.

Sounds lax to me, but whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:26 pm 

Kids perceive things differently.

I remember doing 200 hours of community service as a teenager and to me it was the single worst thing imaginable at the time, and a real game changer as far as my behavior went. A month in firesafety seems fair for something that seems to be a legit (although careless) accident.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:00 pm 

Hey Chief, here are the kids that started that park fire last week. You want to say something to them? Maybe assign them some chores?
I cant imagine those kids were feeding the dog and sliding down the fire pole all month.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:40 pm 

The punishment for the kids seems fine. The story sounds like the parents didn't come forward after their kids confessed to them, which if true should have been addressed further by authorities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:25 pm 

I'm going to venture a guess that whatever 3rd party insurance the Town has on a play structure is for liability only. They will be dipping into an "insurance reserve" fund which is usually just a pile of taxpayers money held in reserve for these incidents. However you want to label it, this is taxpayers money. I personally would rather have seen that 40 grand go towards finding a replacement for whoever is in charge of timing the lights and road planning in Milton.

also - don't be fooled by this kid gloves article. No doubt the town will be coming for their pound of flesh from the parents. There are avenues they can pursue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:26 pm 

Am I the only one wondering how a playground is that flamible?? It shouldn't be that easy to accidentally torch a play structure. Lots of kids play with fire at playgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm 

Lets punish the little bastards. They burn down our playground, we should burn down their school.
That will show them.
Lets see how they like being ignorant.

PS
The above is a joke, please do not burn down any schools.

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Non draco sit mihi dux!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 pm 

LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:
Am I the only one wondering how a playground is that flamible?? It shouldn't be that easy to accidentally torch a play structure. Lots of kids play with fire at playgrounds.

Exactly what I was thinking. If it was wood I could understand it burning so fierce, but that thing is painted metal and a little plastic. Is the paint and plastic that flammable? Or did the kids burn more then a few books. The fire in that photo looks pretty large.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:11 am 

Theres no way the whole thing was metal or plastic. There had to be a section we cant see in the photo made of wood. I'm not familiar with that park.

I'm wondering if it was the wood chips that caught fire?? That would make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:36 am 

bremer wrote:
I'm wondering if it was the wood chips that caught fire?? That would make a lot of sense.

That makes a lot of sense, didn't think of that. Those wood chips can catch and spread fire super easy, especially with the heat we've had this summer.