HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:16 pm 

^^yup. Sounds like a crap country. I would hate to live in a province where 30% of people don't have a family doctor. Oh, never mind I do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:49 am 

Actually guys, I think Iceland is the best place to live right this moment. Their government is holding the bankers hostage and forgave the population of its mortgage debt. That's such a cool thing to do for your people. What hero's.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:43 pm 

Backyard hero wrote:
Actually guys, I think Iceland is the best place to live right this moment. Their government is holding the bankers hostage and forgave the population of its mortgage debt. That's such a cool thing to do for your people. What hero's.

I believe the government forgave 25% of debt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:05 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Backyard hero wrote:

I believe the government forgave 25% of debt.

I know, and they didn't even bother to include student loans.
All we need is to legalize weed and we'll have the best best spot in town.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:30 pm 

Their total mortgage debt was 1.28Bln... TOTAL. Our is hovering around 1.25 trillion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:19 am 

Hoplite wrote:
glocklover wrote:
the US is still where innovation happens, it is the incubator for the world. From Apple to tesla, to Boeing, Silicon Valley, Internet, space travel, and on and on.

WAS a place where innovation happened, not anymore. Now they think a clock taken apart and put into a briefcase is innovation and warrants scholarships and a trip to see the president. Sad.
Russians were the first into space. US innovation in regards to space travel has slowed to a crawl to the point where Russia is eons ahead. The US is so far behind that American astronauts need to hitch rides from the Russian Soyuz to reach the international space station.
Russians are charging 83 million US per ride per astronaut.
Also, don't forget that the Americans recruited Nazi scientists (led by Wernher von Braun) to invent rockets for them. Most notable the Saturn V which in turn was used for the Apollo program and got the Americans onto the moon.
Airbus has overtaken Being in sales. Boeing is basing it's hiring practices on making the company diverse which is fine and dandy, but meanwhile Airbus based its hiring on best man/woman for the job.

So much misinformation in that post I couldn't resist...

The Soyuz was developed during the cold war (most notably in the mid to late 60s) - it's "cheap" and reliable space launch/delivery vehicle that has seen incremental updates over the decades. It's not exactly eons ahead -- Space X (a private US company) is well on their way on squashing this soviet relic.

Russians also "recruited" German engineers/scientists to kick start the soviet space program and please don't be naive enough to think that Wernher single-handendly developed the Saturn V.

Boeing and Airbus sale figures link. Both companies are massively backlogged with sale orders. Boeing is currently leading the arguably more important delivery metric.

LOL RE: insider knowledge on hiring practices of both companies.

I won't argue America's decline as an undisputed world leader. But stating the it's a "has been" in innovation is simply unfunded BS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:44 pm 

Nope. Soviet where late to get "brains", Americans where only few hours ahead and they took people from the research base, Soviet came to get only FAU 2, drawings and documentation.
This is why in terms of the rocket engines science Soviet and American schools are different. Korolev never succeed with working rocket engine before WWII, they copied and improved german rocket engines after war. In short, Soviet rockets are similar Soviet cars, photo cameras, refrigerators and such. They are copies. Some of them were done with help from originators, but rocket engines (main part of the rocket) were done with error and trial, required of manufacturing of many copies to learn and improve.
I remember how at the end of the eighties they won tender to supply pumps for some american oil contract. All other bidders lost because Soviets have this pumps already in stock made for something similar, but within space related industry years ago.
During Soviet time all was designated for military and space. Ministry of agriculture had zero quota for stainless steel, while territory around Baikonur was covered with rocket engines made from highest quality steel, gold and silver...
After collapse of USSR most of the places where leased, sold to commercial sector, not only space program related, but industries supporting it. People who worked where moved on, some went to work for NASA or elsewhere. Some places are still in space research and developing programs, but it is underfunded and not so many young people are willing to come.
BTW, some people who worked at R&D for Pratt and Whitney at St. Petersburg (Leningrad) not so long time ago where relocated to work at Mississauga plant and live with their families here. And in relation to this topic they are still totally brain washed. West is the Enemy for them after they came here with all of their families. They are watching not even RT, but ORT, which is Russian propaganda channel. Hate propaganda.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:06 pm 

@kf095

Cool post but I don't agree with your comment that soviet were late to get the brains. Von Braun and gang were the key innovators, true, but there were many engineers and technicians left behind in east Germany post war that were forced to resettle and work to kick start the Russian rocket program based on the original V2 designs you mentioned. After Korolev and gang mastered the basics, the German were relegated to menial tasks.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/a4_team_moscow.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:30 am 

spirytus wrote:
Hoplite wrote:
glocklover wrote:
the US is still where innovation happens, it is the incubator for the world. From Apple to tesla, to Boeing, Silicon Valley, Internet, space travel, and on and on.

WAS a place where innovation happened, not anymore. Now they think a clock taken apart and put into a briefcase is innovation and warrants scholarships and a trip to see the president. Sad.
Russians were the first into space. US innovation in regards to space travel has slowed to a crawl to the point where Russia is eons ahead. The US is so far behind that American astronauts need to hitch rides from the Russian Soyuz to reach the international space station.
Russians are charging 83 million US per ride per astronaut.
Also, don't forget that the Americans recruited Nazi scientists (led by Wernher von Braun) to invent rockets for them. Most notable the Saturn V which in turn was used for the Apollo program and got the Americans onto the moon.
Airbus has overtaken Being in sales. Boeing is basing it's hiring practices on making the company diverse which is fine and dandy, but meanwhile Airbus based its hiring on best man/woman for the job.

So much misinformation in that post I couldn't resist...

The Soyuz was developed during the cold war (most notably in the mid to late 60s) - it's "cheap" and reliable space launch/delivery vehicle that has seen incremental updates over the decades. It's not exactly eons ahead -- Space X (a private US company) is well on their way on squashing this soviet relic.

Russians also "recruited" German engineers/scientists to kick start the soviet space program and please don't be naive enough to think that Wernher single-handendly developed the Saturn V.

Boeing and Airbus sale figures link. Both companies are massively backlogged with sale orders. Boeing is currently leading the arguably more important delivery metric.

LOL RE: insider knowledge on hiring practices of both companies.

I won't argue America's decline as an undisputed world leader. But stating the it's a "has been" in innovation is simply unfunded BS.

Russian made rockets send US military satellites into space.
http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-01-27/gop-lawmakers-seek-to-end-purchase-of-russian-rocket-engines
http://www.space.com/26551-us-military-launches-russian-rocket-engines.html
"We decided to rely on a foreign supplier — with probably the most advanced rocket engine in the world, by the way..."

The fact remains that the Soyuz is still in use and Americans rely on it..
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/science/space/06gap.html?_r=0
http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/expedition-46-soyuz-approaches-space-station-for-docking

I am not taking away anything from Space-X, but the fact remains until they secure a contract, the US will use Russian rocket for space travel.

I don't claim to have "insider knowledge" of hiring practices of Boeing. The information is freely available on the Net.
"Boeing receives more than $10 billion annually in government contracts and is required to comply with federal equal-opportunity and affirmative-action laws. A violation of these laws could strip Boeing of lucrative defense contracts."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:47 am 

spirytus wrote:
@kf095

Cool post but I don't agree with your comment that soviet were late to get the brains. Von Braun and gang were the key innovators, true, but there were many engineers and technicians left behind in east Germany post war that were forced to resettle and work to kick start the Russian rocket program based on the original V2 designs you mentioned. After Korolev and gang mastered the basics, the German were relegated to menial tasks.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/a4_team_moscow.html

Both US and the Soviet Union ran operations on recruiting Germans after the war...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Osoaviakhim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:48 am 

The fact that the Russians have “probably the most advanced rocket engine in the world” just shows how little innovation has occurred in the space industry over the last 40 years, and had nothing to do with any American decline.

The space shuttle program ended unexpectedly. That’s not an indication of the decline of America. It’s an indication that they put all their space eggs in one basket, and then dropped the basket. They’ll make new eggs. If you’re going to make broad conclusions like declaring America has lost it’s edge, you need to look at the sum of the parts.

At this point, I really don’t see any contenders who could take it’s place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:11 pm 

Soviet/Russian and American were very similar in terms of stagnation. Surprisingly change come from Obama administration shifting from Soviet/Russian/China/India government subsidised space programs and commercializing the industry.
Nothing new.
In another industry where I'm much more involved the private enterprise vs government control made huge difference.
Soviet television was another knock-off, copies. While in the free world it was RCA with Sarnoff and AMPEX with Poniatoff. Both are from Russia.
Even back to rocket engines. Soviet where translating and implementing works of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hrennikoff.
Russian-Canadian, one of those who originated finite elements method.

Free enterprise and private sector manufacturing rules, but here it is stagnated by green non-real-hydro scam on provincial level and new coming tax which is ideology scam from newly elected in Ottawa a.k.a emission tax.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:30 pm 

I am surprised at the second best country ranking.

If you have no job, 'no intention on finding a job', and want social handouts. Yes a good country compared to others.

But if you want a decent living. And want to enjoy life, it is a horrible country.

Taxes are too high.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:55 pm 

Richardv wrote:
I am surprised at the second best country ranking.

If you have no job, 'no intention on finding a job', and want social handouts. Yes a good country compared to others.

But if you want a decent living. And want to enjoy life, it is a horrible country.

Taxes are too high.

You don't make a decent living and you don't enjoy life?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 am 

So despite what the left wing nut jobs said, the Conservatives were doing things right. Lets see how long Canada stays in the top 5 under junior trudeau.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next