HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Express Lanes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:06 am 

I witnessed an interesting debate last night at Walmart...

* Single customer waiting in a fairly busy "Express - 12 items or less" line with a handful of items
* Couple gets in line behind her pushing a cart that obviously has more than 12 items
* Single customer comments about them having too many items and perhaps they should use the regular lane to avoid delaying the other customers that have joined the line after them
* Couple emphatically states that the limit is per person, they have less than 24 items so mind her own business
* Debate continues and the couple eventually decide to split up their transaction - he takes the cart with 12 items to the first cashier, she grabs the rest and heads to a second cashier

So, who's right?...Per transaction or per person?

Post subject: Re: Express Lanes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:48 pm 

That should be 12 items or less per transaction. It wouldn't be fair for one family with 4 adults bringing 48 pieces of groceries in one cashier. However, if they split them up into 12 items per head, and wait to which cashier each one would be assigned to, there won't be any issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:16 pm 

Miles wrote:
That should be 12 items or less per transaction. It wouldn't be fair for one family with 4 adults bringing 48 pieces of groceries in one cashier. However, if they split them up into 12 items per head, and wait to which cashier each one would be assigned to, there won't be any issue.
Makes sense but the division of product needs to be BEFORE they get in line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:12 pm 

That is exactly the type of thing I'd expect to find at Walmart. The correct way to react to this when you see it happening is "HA HA HA - Walmart!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:44 pm 

Hodor wrote:
... The correct way to react to this when you see it happening is "HA HA HA - Walmart!"

In order to react in that explicit fashion, you yourself must also be in Walmart.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm 

I was in line Walmart last month. I am sure I had at least 20 items in my cart. So I joined a normal line. It was pretty busy. A staff person came up to me and asked me to move to the express lane. I said, I have too many items, she said it was fine and I moved.

I understand this isn't what OP is asking.... But not everyone is bad. There are staff people running around telling people to move into the express.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:41 am 

Wyl wrote:
I was in line Walmart last month. I am sure I had at least 20 items in my cart. So I joined a normal line. It was pretty busy. A staff person came up to me and asked me to move to the express lane. I said, I have too many items, she said it was fine and I moved.

I understand this isn't what OP is asking.... But not everyone is bad. There are staff people running around telling people to move into the express.

Well, IMO Walmart staff members should be opening up a cash register instead of telling customers to line up where they do not belong and where they could be subjected to angry looks from other customers.

Other than family, friends, photos, and memories, TIME can not be replaced. It's about time stores got that through their heads and respected customers time by not wasting it.

When in a store, picking the fastest cash line is a crap shoot. Who knows if you will end up behind a couponer or where some item does not scan a product properly for the customer ahead of you. Where ever it can be done, in smaller stores I think "bank style" lines should be implemented where there is one line of customers feeding multiple cashiers. Unfortunately this would only cause havoc in larger stores where then people would be running with carts to get in the line ahead of other people.

The bottom line is that stores like Walmart must have more cashiers. Obviously the morons with 20+ items got in the express line because other lines where slower.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:05 am 

Stores like Walmart have 30 lanes & 3 cashiers working on a normal night
They just like to make themselves look bigger than they really are

But really the lineup disaster you see at every store from Walmart to Costco would be much better served by a single queue
Look at how say Winners does it. Enter primary queue then get directed to next cashier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:14 am 

I guess it requires more space, but it seems so much more efficient to have a single queue. MEC does the same thing and its always fast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 am 

If the register count is quite high, the single-queue can use up LESS space than reserving enough room for three or 4 carts per checkout.

And the customers can get the 'illusion of progress' as the single line seems to move along better.

However, many customers would be completely turned off if they see a disney-like line snaking back and forth full of waiting customers.
Some chains with lower top-volumes like the single queue. Others go with multi-queue.

There's actually a lot of science and research behind their choices.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:11 pm 

mt_42,
Its not a matter of who is right or wrong, its what is in a persons best interest as far as safety is concerned in these situations. One simply does not know what type of person they are about to be dealing with when they're about to tell a stranger what to do. I think single lady should have minded her own business. I've seen a simple statement escalate a full on boxing match one too many times.
Although, on the flip side. There was one occasion that I was in an express line at a grocery store that I don't frequent. I was too busy on my phone that it wasn't until I was about to have my items scanned that I had noticed the small tiny sign that said express. I felt pretty bad for the person behind to have to wait. I let the individual go in front of me and the cashier was kind enough to scan my items that exceeded their limit. Had someone said something to me, I would have appreciated it. At the end of the day, its a chance you take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:14 am 

nspace wrote:
I guess it requires more space, but it seems so much more efficient to have a single queue. MEC does the same thing and its always fast.

It does require space but seriously look at a Walmart / Superstore
More cash registers never used than in use

Plus queue area can be used to promote impulse items