HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm 

I'm looking to repair our leaky shower faucet by replacing the cartridge. It is a Delta 1400 series. The replacement part is # RP19804. Home depot has a non-oem part but has to be ordered in (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.repl ... 56667.html) and can take up to 7 days in shipping. I was told by home depot that I should call Delta as the cartridge is usually replaced for free under warranty, however I am not the original owner of the home and have no documents.
I still tried calling Delta l but no one seems to be picking up for the 30mins I've stayed on the line, while at work.

I'm okay with spending the $40-$60 for the part if I can get it immediately or max a 1-2 days wait. Can anyone refer any local plumbing supply stores you may have dealt with, in some similar situation?

I will be making calls later this afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:43 pm 

Go to home hardware and get it for free.

Home Depot says "they stopped sending them to us" but they are full of sh*t. Milton Home Depot is just on a mission to not have what you need and will stop at nothing to achieve this goal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:53 pm 

You can try Wolseley on Steeles/5th Line to get an OEM part, but try calling Home Hardware first.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Go to home hardware and get it for free.

Home Depot says "they stopped sending them to us" but they are full of sh*t. Milton Home Depot is just on a mission to not have what you need and will stop at nothing to achieve this goal.

You sir are a BOSS. Called home hardware and the guy working at plumbing stated that if they can't repair my cartridge they'll replace it, unsure if for free but I'll gladly pay. I was in shock, I said to him "replace it as in...get it today?" He follows with "We'll give you one right when you come in". Felt embarrassed and joyful at the same time.

Will not be going back to home depot if Home Hardware serves me well, co workers of mine mention they only shop there for this reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 pm 

you can call delta and they'll ship one out to you for free

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 pm 

denti wrote:
you can call delta and they'll ship one out to you for free

Thanks, I am also okay with having to purchase one if I can get it same-day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:38 pm 

HD guy asked me "do you have the old one with you" and I did, so he took me to a secret cabinet and replaced for free.
Told me they have a problem with contractors coming in and taking them all for free, then charging their clients for the part.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
HD guy asked me "do you have the old one with you" and I did, so he took me to a secret cabinet and replaced for free.
Told me they have a problem with contractors coming in and taking them all for free, then charging their clients for the part.

interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 pm 

I'm in the same boat with a leaky faucet, but I can't get my handle off - the set screw is seized and won't budge despite trying everything in the book. I might have to just break it off!

Good to know the cartridges are free to replace.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:07 pm 

Louman wrote:
I'm in the same boat with a leaky faucet, but I can't get my handle off - the set screw is seized and won't budge despite trying everything in the book. I might have to just break it off!

Good to know the cartridges are free to replace.
Try getting some CLR on and around the screw, if that fails the last thing to do is drill out the screw, you only need to get the head off as the rest of the screw is in the cartridge that you are replacing anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 pm 

Careful with the new one.

I went to the secret HD cabinet and got a replacement for my shower last year. Replaced it with the new one, everything is good.

But the new one’s “Hot” isn’t as hot as the old one, and I basically have to crank the shower as far as it will go to get a shower as hot as I like it. In the winter months when the cold water is colder, there are days when my showers are almost cold. I end up cranking up the water heater to compensate. But then the hot water everywhere else in the house is scalding hot.

I think this is anti-scalding design gone too far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:54 pm 

bremer wrote:
Careful with the new one.

I went to the secret HD cabinet and got a replacement for my shower last year. Replaced it with the new one, everything is good.

But the new one’s “Hot” isn’t as hot as the old one, and I basically have to crank the shower as far as it will go to get a shower as hot as I like it. In the winter months when the cold water is colder, there are days when my showers are almost cold. I end up cranking up the water heater to compensate. But then the hot water everywhere else in the house is scalding hot.

I think this is anti-scalding design gone too far.

Pop off the "decorative" cover plate. There's a beige-ish piece that you use to set the maximum hotness. I have mine set so that max is my perfect temp - it's glorious, no more fiddlin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:14 pm 

I got mine at Home Depot a couple years ago but after reading this thread I'm not surprised. Home Depot is a joke, but they do have great skilled employees. Must be management or something that changed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:22 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Pop off the "decorative" cover plate. There's a beige-ish piece that you use to set the maximum hotness. I have mine set so that max is my perfect temp - it's glorious, no more fiddlin.

Your freaking kidding! I never thought it would be adjustable. I feel kinda dumb. I'll never make fun of an excessively large man with a limited vocabulary again! Spanks!

Weekend project time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:05 am 

not sure if you need to take the decorative cover off. if you still have your old vale take a good look at it. there should be a white thingine on the front where you lift, turn and set it back. that would control how much hot water comes out. atleast mine had that and was able to adjust the hotwater from there. which means you'd have to take the valve back off