HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:13 pm 

Assaulted & utter death threats to his wife
Domestic disputes
Fired from his coaching career over incident with player (Ford claims a "dispute" but others allege he physically assaulted the teenager, shaking and slapping him on field)
Racist against Italians
Racist against Asians (Koreans, Taiwanese, Japanese)
Claimed only gay people or needle sharing druggies need worry about AIDs
Claims only women who sleep with bi-sexual males can get AIDs
Anti-cyclist comments
Drunk driving arrest DUI
Marijuana possession arrest
Disorderly conduct (drunk at Leafs game)
Drunk St Pats incidents (more racism, more assault, more general idiocy)
Crack smoking & video scandal
Conflict of interest trials
Privacy trials
CBC Comedian event

Come on
I would not wish death on anyone but this guy was a loser from day 1
He was a joke far larger than Tony Lambert ever was (and heck he even has same arrest record, assault + DUI)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:05 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Assaulted & utter death threats to his wife
Domestic disputes
Fired from his coaching career over incident with player (Ford claims a "dispute" but others allege he physically assaulted the teenager, shaking and slapping him on field)
Racist against Italians
Racist against Asians (Koreans, Taiwanese, Japanese)
Claimed only gay people or needle sharing druggies need worry about AIDs
Claims only women who sleep with bi-sexual males can get AIDs
Anti-cyclist comments
Drunk driving arrest DUI
Marijuana possession arrest
Disorderly conduct (drunk at Leafs game)
Drunk St Pats incidents (more racism, more assault, more general idiocy)
Crack smoking & video scandal
Conflict of interest trials
Privacy trials
CBC Comedian event

Come on
I would not wish death on anyone but this guy was a loser from day 1
He was a joke far larger than Tony Lambert ever was (and heck he even has same arrest record, assault + DUI)

You must work for the Toronto Star :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:37 am 

samsvoc wrote:
You must work for the Toronto Star :evil:

It just amazes me anyone can say stuff like "he was really a good person"
If they want to post "he was a good manager of taxpayer funds" then ok

But a guy who beats his wife, kid, random teenage kids, does drugs, and drives drunk among other things is an idiot who needs rehab
Most of the general public sat back and laughed at his antics without considering the lives he was destroying

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:00 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
R.I.P. Rob Ford and BTW, when I phoned you and left a message wishing you good luck early on in the mayoral election that you won, you did not need to phone me back and thank me, but I always appreciated that.

You think he's reading this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:39 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:

Yes, isn't that amazing. It must bother you that so many people are willing to forgive him and remember him for all of the good things he did.

A man called into a radio station yesterday. He lived in a city owned property with about 400 other people. The water had been shut off for 3 days. In desperation the guy called Rob Ford and within 2 hours the water was on. This is a whole building of people who will remember and love Rob Ford for that moment in time. There are many hundreds, maybe thousands of stories like this. Apparently he built admiration one person at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 am 

I never had a problem with the guy, he was a great source of entertainment :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:52 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:

Yes, isn't that amazing. It must bother you that so many people are willing to forgive him and remember him for all of the good things he did.

A man called into a radio station yesterday. He lived in a city owned property with about 400 other people. The water had been shut off for 3 days. In desperation the guy called Rob Ford and within 2 hours the water was on. This is a whole building of people who will remember and love Rob Ford for that moment in time. There are many hundreds, maybe thousands of stories like this. Apparently he built admiration one person at a time.

Very well said Halton Home Inspector.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:27 pm 

I always liked Rob Ford as he was unlike other politicians. He wasn't a part of "I scratch your back you scratch mine" political establishment, and that was his undoing.

Another mistake he made was he didn't pay obeisance to the powerful media, especially Toronto Star. After that the Star made it its corporate mission to destroy him. I'm sure there is a lot of dirt on a lot of politicians that we don't know about, because the media doesn't talk about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:07 pm 

He was great for the average joe.

My parents happened to live in one of the city owned buildings where water and garbage was a problem. Not only did Rob Ford get services restored to the building, but personally went to each apartment to apologize and hand out his card.

In my opinion, his only political downfall was that he wasn't drinking the "corporate Toronto" kool-aid... But did want to help the people who really did need a helping hand.

Help 1000 people, and gets remembered for a dozen mistakes, and a dozen lies... With the grand finale at the end of a crack pipe.

The big question I have though is related around the economy and the dollar dropping (although rising now).

I wonder if behind all the smoke and mirrors that if Rob Ford's days in office directly impacted the drop of the dollar?

Hmm?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:01 pm 

Yes... This was indeed a role model for all children.

I agree with a comment above. If you want to praise his policies, I'm in. But the innocent big hearted guy.. Come on. For every nice thing, there is a story or racism, domestic abuse, drug abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm 

What good things did he do? He was a frugal money manager sure but most of his political horses failed big time. His ignorance on most subjects was astonishing (as an example check out some of his subway vs light rail debates)

Quote:
As far as political successes go, he had none, really, unless you count getting garbage privatized on one side of the city as a notable accomplishment. The fact that he "spoke to" many people is only notable in what it reveals about people. It reveals nothing positive about Ford's impact on politics, Toronto, or on Canadians.
"A dedicated man of the people," he was called, in a statement from "his family" (I do not know which members of his family prepared this statement). No. He was not a man of "the people," he was a man who was out for himself and others like him: white middle- or upper-class men.

Quote:
Rob Ford combined this lack of civic knowledge with hungry political ambition to create the absolute worst kind of politician. He relentlessly celebrated his own civic ignorance and did so at the expense of others.

His near-total lack of knowledge about the job he was supposed to do is not debatable. Bear in mind that, when Rob Ford’s conflict of interest case went before the courts, his defense was that he had no idea he had done anything wrong because he had never read the councillor’s rules handbook (despite holding municipal political office for a dozen years by that point). Instead, he offered his own creative and completely wrong idea of what constituted a conflict of interest—after having been warned multiple times that he was in a conflict and should not speak, and did so anyway. He really did think that he had reduced the city’s planned debt (he did not), and saved the city a billion dollars (he did not), and that he had spearheaded policies that lowered unemployment (it increased over his watch), and that there was a crisis of wasteful spending at City Hall (KPMG audited the city and found very little).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:26 am 

Even some of his fiscal frugality is questionable in my mind. He showed up late or not at all, sent city employees, on city time to coach his football team, used city resources like city busses for his football team, hired friends for made up jobs. He ran on the whole "gravy train" mantra but could never actually found a gravy train (except the one he created for friends) even once he took office. About the only thing he did that saved the city money was privatizing garbage West of Yonge but that would have had the same affect if the city had been able to fire all its workers and hire new ones at half the rate anyway. A great idea but imagine where our society and economy would be if more places did that.

My favourite thing the Ford brothers did was when they went to a subsidized high rise and started "making it rain" with $20 bills lol! So third world, banana republic but I guess it works for certain people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:47 am 

Guy's dead yet still people are arguing about his political performance. What a legacy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:27 am 

Hodor wrote:
Guy's dead yet still people are arguing about his political performance. What a legacy!

I totally agree with your statement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:39 am 

Ms President wrote:
Hodor wrote:

I totally agree with your statement.

That's wonderful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next