HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm 

http://www.cp24.com/former-toronto-mayo ... -1.2827463

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:22 pm 

RIP and I really mean it. As much as he was a complete and utter disaster as a politician, I never hated the guy, and always had sympathy for him. It's a really sad thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:39 pm 

Very sad indeed. I think he was more of a disaster to himself (in turn it hurt the city) but at least the guy cared about the city and it's not like every other politician doesn't have skeletons in their closet, he just had them all sitting out in plain sight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 pm 

I was a fan of his fiscal values, passion for the city and charisma, but some in the Toronto media made life difficult for him and I hate them for that. Can you imagine someone camping outside your family's house and constantly trying to dig up dirt on you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:36 pm 

Rip fordsy. Only the good die young. What made me love him was how he identified with the small guy.
He took on the big guys with no fear, and his heart was in the right place. When it comes to politics, that trait is worth more than anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm 

I'm not going to wish death or illness on anyone, but let's stop short of putting rose coloured glasses on after the fact and propping the guy up as some hero of the people - because he wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:51 pm 

martin prince wrote:
I'm not going to wish death or illness on anyone, but let's stop short of putting rose coloured glasses on after the fact and propping the guy up as some hero of the people - because he wasn't.

stop being so negative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:21 pm 

martin prince wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion even if some (including myself) disagree. He was my local councillor growing up and I was a huge fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm 

martin prince wrote:

What flatulence. His passion was unsurpassable. And his name doesn't rhyme with
"Fartin piss"

Last edited by Backyard hero on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm 

I love hearing all these radio talking heads tripping over themselves to sing the praises of the guy they threw under any bus they could while he was mayor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:25 pm 

^^ exactly. He went after the big fish. The big fish used their influence and money to turn the media against him. Now the same haters (including mayor Tory) exploiting his death pretending like they liked the guy.

Worst I've seen is TMZ's meme "crack mayor dead". Something like that. Despicable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:34 pm 

Hodor wrote:
I love hearing all these radio talking heads tripping over themselves to sing the praises of the guy they threw under any bus they could while he was mayor.

So true.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:23 pm 

R.I.P. Rob Ford and BTW, when I phoned you and left a message wishing you good luck early on in the mayoral election that you won, you did not need to phone me back and thank me, but I always appreciated that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:29 pm 

If one can see past the crack smoking, racist commentary I'm sure he was a good guy.

RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:35 pm 

martin prince wrote:

Not to you and I, but he in fact was a hero to a lot of people in his region as councillor. People who called in to talk radio today cried, that's how much he's touched some people.

Of course he didn't make the best personal decisions on some aspects in his life, but no one is perfect, and we can all agree that he was a polarizing figure.

Man, every single one of us is headed for death eventually as well. It got him at a fairly young age with young kids and a wife, so that is indeed very sad.