HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm 

I just got an email from Start, saying my internet bill went down by $10, and increased my internet speed by an extra 10mps. 8-)

Also, no problems with the service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 am 

those looking should give Carytel a call. Great plans.

Last edited by tomaga on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:52 am 

My friend has them and it's always going up and down. Their customer service sucks too from what I hear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 am 

I absolutely loved START and the service they provided, we did however make the switch to Bell at the beginning of December as the wife really really really wanted tv service. I've come to terms with going back to cable since we got a decent deal, $20 more than what we currently were paying for START (tax incl) and we got decent tv package, same unl. internet, just faster (50u vs 25u) which I don't see a huge difference with since I don't really download a whole lot or game much, as well as home phone "for free" that we haven't even used yet. We even bought a home phone but is still yet to be hooked up because...why.

I'd say go with START, explore a little something called "Kodi" and the world is yours. I just wish START had come out with their tv service that was rumored to come out by fall 2016. I'd go back with them ina heart beat...paying my Bell cancellation fee of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm 

Miltonian2015 wrote:
I absolutely loved START and the service they provided, we did however make the switch to Bell at the beginning of December as the wife really really really wanted tv service. I've come to terms with going back to cable since we got a decent deal, $20 more than what we currently were paying for START (tax incl) and we got decent tv package, same unl. internet, just faster (50u vs 25u) which I don't see a huge difference with since I don't really download a whole lot or game much, as well as home phone "for free" that we haven't even used yet. We even bought a home phone but is still yet to be hooked up because...why.

I'd say go with START, explore a little something called "Kodi" and the world is yours. I just wish START had come out with their tv service that was rumored to come out by fall 2016. I'd go back with them ina heart beat...paying my Bell cancellation fee of course.

I would be interested to know when they jack up your rates, by how much, and what it takes you to get them back down again. Bell is sneaky, but I really want you to win!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 pm 

To hodor's point

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/be ... -1.3941455

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 pm 

I am giving VMedia a shot as I have heard great things about them. Also, because f**K Cogeco.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:33 pm 

Vmedia has really bad ratings everywhere I read about them - I'd reconsider.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 pm 

I think Teksavvy and Start are one of the two 'reputable' non-Bell/Rogers/Cogeco options.

I signed my sister up with Carrytel, simply because she needed the cheapest option and she doesn't rely on it for work or anything. We'll see how things go with that provider. Did the modem rental and no contract so if its a disaster, we pull the plug.

The Rogers deal on Ignite is good, but the problem is that the big guys are trying to kill off the little guys. Once there are less players involved, they will happily return to their regularly scheduled price hikes.

I'm still with Cogeco only because I can't be bothered to changed my Cable TV. I go through the same song and dance at the end of the promotion periods to get my price back where it should be. $59 for Unlimited 60MBs isn't bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:51 pm 

Deep wrote:
Vmedia has really bad ratings everywhere I read about them - I'd reconsider.

Thanks for the watch out. I have a couple buddies with it and don't seem to have any problems with it. They aren't blown away by it, but nothing overly negative either. Kinda just ok.

Unfortunately where I live, Start and Teksavy are not options as their offered speeds are not comparable to what VMedia can (not sure why).

For me, it isn't as much about how good these guys are vs. how bad cogeco is. I feel we need to support more of these little guys to take cash out of the pockets of the Cogeco's and the Rogers of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm 

That's strange - you'd think that if one can offer, they all can offer those speeds.

Maybe give start a call to verify?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:13 pm 

I can not find one company that can touch my Bell Deal or the speed offered. I need a fast upload for my work and back up everything in the house to the cloud, 3 way; Crashplan, Amazons Drive and One Drive (yes I am paranoid about loosing family photos). My internet deal is obviously based on getting the TV and Phone package.

I have FFTH, 25/25 unlimited for $46. And before you ask, it took years of calling and calling to reduce my bill to the permanent discounts on my account.

Anyone try Hero Inc? They are newish on the block and I have read really good things about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 pm 

I have start at 40 down and 10 up for $50. Unlimited

Not so concerned about up speed...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 am 

NotHawthorny wrote:
I am giving VMedia a shot as I have heard great things about them. Also, because f**K Cogeco.

So what are you first impressions of VMedia?

Does anyone else using them have anything to say about the quality, customer service, etc.? I'm sick of Cogeco and the only thing I have left with them is cable TV...I want out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 pm 

Start is getting ready to launch a TV service soon. They're being coy about the details, but worth looking into.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r311835 ... TV-service