HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disaster lawn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:32 am 

^ Yes bremer, the water, water, water advice is bad advice, especially if the soil is poor and does not drain well. All you end up doing is rotting the grass from the roots up.

Watering in the evening is also bad advice. Early morning is the best time. The purpose of watering is to moisten the soil not the grass. Watering in the evening leaves the grass wet all night making it vulnerable to rot and disease. Watering in the early morning results in moist soil yet the grass blades dry out during the rest of the morning.

BTW, unless you are over-seeding ( which is a waste of time unless you also spread topsoil ) then watering your lawn is not even needed until the weather gets hot and dry for an extended period of time in the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:12 am 

Nobody will ever agree on the proper procedures for lawn maintenance.

Just keep throwing money and time at the project - that's the important thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:03 pm 

Not sure if I should start my own thread or hijack this one... but anyways I've been reading the comments here since I have the same problem (weed-infested jungle of a backyard). A few questions:
- Is it still ok to try the weed killer (2-4-D I don't remember it off the top of my head). Or is this something that should be done at a specific time of year?

- We also have infant twins so should I be worried about the chemicals affecting them some how?

- if we don't plan on seeding right away since winter will be coming soon, do we just dig up the weeds and let it be muddy?

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing. But the weeds are growing as tall as me and im not sure if I should just cut them or deal with the weeds before spring comes

Please Be kind!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am 

1) Yes.

2) Maybe. After you apply it, it needs to be left alone for 48 hours to be safe. I also like to wait for a good rainstorm before going back in the grass.

3) 2,4-D doesn't leave bare patches. It just makes the weeds shrivel away and die (it's a growth hormone so the plant basically grows itself to death), leaving grass in place.

I would give it a good blast with fertilizer and seeds, then spray the weeds and sit back and watch the magic happen. Repeat in spring and you're golden.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am 

Hodor wrote:
1) Yes.

2) Maybe. After you apply it, it needs to be left alone for 48 hours to be safe. I also like to wait for a good rainstorm before going back in the grass.

3) 2,4-D doesn't leave bare patches. It just makes the weeds shrivel away and die (it's a growth hormone so the plant basically grows itself to death), leaving grass in place.

I would give it a good blast with fertilizer and seeds, then spray the weeds and sit back and watch the magic happen. Repeat in spring and you're golden.

All good advice. I think I am going a step further and putting down a bit of soil too. This summer absolutely destroyed my beautiful lawn. I am also considering an irrigation system for next year too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 pm 

I'm going to recommend everyone reading this check out The Lawn Care Nut. He has a You Tube channel. Look in particular at his spring and fall recovery videos. This year I did manage to successfully eradicate my lawn of weeds. I also switched to an organic lawn fertilizer although the one he recommends, Milorganite, is not available in Canada (shocker). Home Depot here sells a plant-based fertilizer called Purely Organic Lawn Food. It introduces organic matter to your soil instead of just feeding the shoots of grass and robbing your soil of its nutrients like a synthetic fertilizer. Long story short, I have the best lawn on my street now after those two changes over one growing season. Water and correct mowing height as well. Watch his channel!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:55 pm 

Tear sod out
Install fake grass
http://www.astroturf.com/products/3d-series/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:12 am 

I have Spectracide 2-4-D for sale, 7% concentration, attaches to your hose and self mixes. $35 for a brand new container. PM me, lots available

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:15 am 

glocklover wrote:
I have Spectracide 2-4-D for sale, 7% concentration, attaches to your hose and self mixes. $35 for a brand new container. PM me, lots available

Is this the good stuff available only in the US? I'll take a couple

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 am 

Is it this one that you have?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide- ... /100352322

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:58 pm 

^^yes, exactly. The US sourced product. I can't tell you how well it works. We've sprayed once in August, no clover, no dandelions, nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:20 am 

:arrow: Spectracide Ready-to-Spray Weed Stop Concentrate for Lawns that glocklover has can be used two ways. The "ready-to spray" feature is great if your entire lawn is infested with weeds but the bottle will likely be empty after only one application.

:idea: BUT, if you want to get more bang for your buck from this product and if your entire lawn is not a weed infested disaster then buy a pump-up pressure sprayer, mix a bit of the product with water and spot-spray the weeds. This allows you to apply the product only to the weeds and not waste it on the entire lawn.

:arrow: This is a weed killer not a weed-n-feed product.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:02 am 

So my lawn is crap right now because of the backyard renos...however...next year I plan on seeding the crap out of it and fertilizer...gonna need real weed killer, so head over the border and get the good stuff or find someone locally, if you can. Just fyi, my old house I used the Canadian Tire cheapest grass seed and seeded my backayard...nothing but weeds...I get my grass seed from Quality Seed in Woodbridge...and it works...they have different mixes for your needs...I've been using them for 5 yrs now.

The seed always grows and no weeds. Trick with grass is to get the grass to grow thick to create that barrier were the roots interlock so the weeds can't grow...My neighbour has a corner and when he bought the house the grass was neglected. It took him 1 summer to bring it back with fertilizer, over seed (with Quality Seed) and sprinkler system. Looks great now.

Anyone trying to grow grass I would highly recommend before you do anything is invest in a sprinkler system. Grass seed must stay moist to germinate, and grass seed grows better in cooler temperatures, so they recommend in April/May and September/October. Sprinkler systems programed to turn on at night as well helps. I can't remember but there are various type of seed, some germinate in 7 days where others in 30 days...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:29 pm 

The border just moved north. Lots of good 2-4-D available. Drop me a PM. Kill the weeds, fertilizer and overseed. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 am 

Totalpkg wrote:

I get my grass seed from Quality Seed in Woodbridge...and it works...they have different mixes for your needs...I've been using them for 5 yrs now.

Quality Seed bags the TSC brand of grass seed.

Right now TSC has a "Sceamin Deal" on a 10KG bag but our local store ( at Bronte and Main ) only has ONE bag left. It is 40% off bringing the price to $50. It is a good mix. All perennial grasses - 30% Kentucky Bluegrass, 40% Creeping Red Fescue, and 30% Turf-type Ryegrass.

http://www.tscstores.com/GRASS-SEED-TSC-COUNTRY-10KG-P40156.aspx#.V_ZZT9QrL4Y

http://www.tscstores.com/Grass-Seed-C1053.aspx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next