HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:48 pm 

BACKGROUND
I have a flat vaulted ceiling at the front of my house that rises 21" from the living room ceiling and is 43" deep and spans the 13' width of the room. My house is a Mattamy Nettlebrook/Pilgrim.

DILEMMA
I'd like to have it vault to a peak which I estimate it would rise another 4' in the centre and it would taper to the edge. The reason I would like to do this is to replace a faded fake window with a real window for extra light indoors and more curb appeal. Their is no second floor above this part of the house so it appears doable.

QUESTIONS
Is this a good/bad/neutral idea?
Who could I call to give me an estimate to do this kind of work?
How do vaulted ceilings get ventilated so shingles do not heat up (I am looking at re-roofing my place)?

I'm guessing I could get Koski glass to make a custom window.

Looking forward to receiving some recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 pm 

Sounds very very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:06 am 

First you will need an structural engineer to look at the project and put together a plan. Then you can cost it out. Some engineers may not be interested in the job because their initial work will be from the attic. To make life easier for the engineer you could pull a large area of drywall off the ceiling and move the insulation off to the side but this would commit you to the job before you know the final cost and complexity of the job as well as leaving a hole in the ceiling.

IMO this job is not worth it. Maybe have a sun tunnel installed and somehow improve the faux window at the front of your home.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:27 am 

I would do it...
You have probably created enough equity in your house to cover the costs and it would look much better to have a real window instead of those fake windows that are everywhere. If you are doing it for yourself and are not planning on getting the costs back upon the sale of you home then go for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:55 am 

I have floorplan blueprints (not sure if they are for my elevation) and was wondering if the structural engineer could work with those to determine the feasibility of the plan? I called Koski glass and they said to make a custom window with a curved top would cost about $2,000. If I can find a more reasonable custom window I think this project would be worthwhile for me. Any ideas who can make a custom window for a reasonable price?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:32 pm 

KGC,

I think you would be better off buying a new home on the corner of Aylmer and Cedar Hedge. There are two foundations to choose from with lots of dirt in the yard to ensure you have some decent grading. They also have a pondside view.
You could then build the complete home to your spec and design, as opposed to trying to change and modify someone else's design.

After all, it appears the builder is not able to sell them and build them in a timely fashion. I think you would be done the build before they will be.

:) All in jest of course. Cheers! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:19 am 

Have you considered installing a Sun Roof instead? It would be much cheaper and you will not run the risk of ventilation issues in your attic.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 am 

justagirl wrote:
Have you considered installing a Sun Roof instead? It would be much cheaper and you will not run the risk of ventilation issues in your attic.

What's a sun roof for a home ? Sun roofs are on cars. Do you mean a skylight ?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:31 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
justagirl wrote:

What's a sun roof for a home ? Sun roofs are on cars. Do you mean a skylight ?

Lol yes Ski-light! Need that morning coffee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:05 pm 

I'm not looking for a skylight or sun tunnel (for that part of my house at least). I simply want to convert the faded, cheap looking fake window with a real window. Their is a custom window manufacturer in Mississauga who I may contact. I think they use aluminum frames which may be cheaper to customize than vinyl.