HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Floating deck
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:51 pm 

Lancaster, deck will be about 18 inches. It's a low level deck and why I think the blocks might be the right choice. I'll we what the pros say at HD and Rona. Thanks for all the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm 

lancaster wrote:
I have built very large floating decks some 20 years ago for a friend, and its as solid as the day we built it today. We also did not use any concrete for posts back then. I just stamped down the base soil, and put down big concrete slab down, then put one of those $7 concrete post holder on top to hold wooden post. Floating deck is the only way to go, unless you want to save a few bucks and pin it to brick wall. When you remove it from wall, good luck with all the broken bricks and holes. No i am to old, so let pros do same thing.

I agree with this...did one a couple years back myself in the exact same manner and never had any issues even with furniture and a spa on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 am 

this has disaster written all over it. first of all I'm curious how you plan to buy 12x24 deck lumber for $1000 bucks. You clearly haven't factored in things like carriage bolts (which are usually a buck each), posts, screws etc.

personally i would attach it to the house and use concrete footings dug by a professional. There is a reason professional deck builders do it this way. As other posters have stated a deck that size will look like a wave pool after the first good rain storm if it is sitting on deck blocks.

also the deck rules are clearly stated in the bylaw available on the town website. I don't believe there are any setback requirements if the deck is less than 0.6 meters off the ground. Don't rely on this forum for information of this sort. go directly to the source.

just because something "can" be done a certain way doesn't mean it should. As a home buyer interested in buying your home in the future your deck would be a turnoff and to me would say you are cheap, cut corners and do DIY projects you aren't qualified for. I'm also assuming based on some of your other comments that you won't be digging up the grass and laying landscape fabric and gravel under the deck? Would make me wonder what other repairs/upgrades in the home are cheap and what maintenance hasn't been done.

Have it done properly once and you will thank yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:45 am 

thegrandfromage wrote:
this has disaster written all over it. first of all I'm curious how you plan to buy 12x24 deck lumber for $1000 bucks. You clearly haven't factored in things like carriage bolts (which are usually a buck each), posts, screws etc.

personally i would attach it to the house and use concrete footings dug by a professional. There is a reason professional deck builders do it this way. As other posters have stated a deck that size will look like a wave pool after the first good rain storm if it is sitting on deck blocks.

also the deck rules are clearly stated in the bylaw available on the town website. I don't believe there are any setback requirements if the deck is less than 0.6 meters off the ground. Don't rely on this forum for information of this sort. go directly to the source.

just because something "can" be done a certain way doesn't mean it should. As a home buyer interested in buying your home in the future your deck would be a turnoff and to me would say you are cheap, cut corners and do DIY projects you aren't qualified for. I'm also assuming based on some of your other comments that you won't be digging up the grass and laying landscape fabric and gravel under the deck? Would make me wonder what other repairs/upgrades in the home are cheap and what maintenance hasn't been done.

Have it done properly once and you will thank yourself.

Voice of reason...