HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St. Jacobs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:08 am 

Haven't been for a long time so we made the 45 min drive just for an outing. We were impressed with the meat market in the building as they were selling antibiotic free pork, beef and chicken for pretty reasonable prices. The cold cuts were also amazing. The lunch options were also very tasty.

We went back a few weeks later with a cooler bag and ice and loaded up on sausages (they were excellent) , ground beef, and brisket. There were some organic vegetable stalls as well. The outside market had pony rides, interesting unique vendors, and lots of fruits and veggies.

Nice family outing and great meat prices. If you do go, make sure you leave EARLY...like 7:30am or sooner. Start with the building as the place is easy to navigate until about 10am when the world and a platoon of strollers arrive. It's difficult enjoy the experience inside building then. Leave the outside for later.

Post subject: Re: St. Jacobs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 am 

i actually found the opposite from you. i hadn't been in 10yrs or so and went last year. i couldn't believe how commercial it's become. seems most of the produce isn't from local farmer or the local farmers has turned into a corporation. finding a local farmer there was far and few between.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:15 pm 

Denti: I tend to agree with you. I had visited the St. Jacob's area several times during the last 25 yrs. or so and have also noticed a great change at the market, although it's still an enjoyable day outing that's not too far from Milton. It used to be that the vendors were almost all the local Mennonite farmers selling their home-made cheese, baked goods, meats, grown veggies, furniture, etc.etc. But now I find the produce not much different than what one would buy at other organic and local farmers and stores in the Halton region both in prices and selection.

Last time there, we spent the better part of an hour trying to find a parking spot. So for sure try to get there really, really early if you're short on patience and not into huge crowds of people. These days, we prefer to spend more time just walking and browsing around downtown St. Jacobs instead of the farmers' market.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 pm 

Y'all should be visiting block 3 brewing when you're there. Their brewmaster is quite talented.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:55 am 

I agree about the vegetables comment however my mission was meat.....It's kind of like the Milton market on Sat. If you go before mid July your just getting Ontario Food Terminal US produce. Same in all markets. Although even though the fresh home grown stuff emerges mid summer, there are still vendors that only sell the commercial stuff. Might as well shop at Sobey's as you spend $20 and get a $10 gift card. Sweet deal, don't know how they can do this. Anyway, I bought a small package of stewing beef for almost $10 yesterday...I'll be going back to St. Jacobs for another meat run soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:50 am 

AB wrote:
I agree about the vegetables comment however my mission was meat.....It's kind of like the Milton market on Sat. If you go before mid July your just getting Ontario Food Terminal US produce. Same in all markets. Although even though the fresh home grown stuff emerges mid summer, there are still vendors that only sell the commercial stuff. Might as well shop at Sobey's as you spend $20 and get a $10 gift card. Sweet deal, don't know how they can do this. Anyway, I bought a small package of stewing beef for almost $10 yesterday...I'll be going back to St. Jacobs for another meat run soon.

That's good to know as I will be moving closer to St. Jacobs soon. I will look in that area to find a new butcher shop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:18 pm 

Milton Sat. Market has at least one local meat provider. Beef from Milton. One of the best burgers we ever tried as well.
Also, by the time you'll drive to St. Jacobs and back all of the possible savings are - burned gasoline.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 am 

Last time I looked for meat in the Milton market it was on the $$ expensive side especially if your buying over 10 lb. at a time. I was just suggesting some alternatives for a well priced source of antibiotic free meat at pretty good prices. Between the market and the town of St. Jacobs, it makes a nice family outing. GO EARLY though or it will be like kids day at the Ex.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:51 am 

OK! We will try to go with kids.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:11 pm 

AB wrote:
Last time I looked for meat in the Milton market it was on the $$ expensive side especially if your buying over 10 lb. at a time. I was just suggesting some alternatives for a well priced source of antibiotic free meat at pretty good prices. Between the market and the town of St. Jacobs, it makes a nice family outing. GO EARLY though or it will be like kids day at the Ex.

Have you tried Agram? Fairly local (15 minutes north of Milton straight up Trafalgar). Antibiotic free, incredible meat and prices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:20 am 

I haven't tried Agram yet but I'll take a drive and check them out. Maybe they have a web site?