HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 pm 

Milton GO Double decker seems to have been involved in a collision at Derry and Trudeau. Does anyone know what has happened? I saw that Derry was closed from JSP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:53 am 

Hope everyone is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:59 am 

A lady was hit by a car when coming off the bus.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:11 am 

Burrcold wrote:
A lady was hit by a car when coming off the bus.

Oh wow! Is she ok? Did the bus let the person out from the left lane? Or did the car jump the curb?

Or am I totally off?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:14 am 

Never mind.

Found the story.
http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/woman-i ... -1.2989443

Sounds like she was jaywalking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:28 pm 

jaywalking. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

When you factor in the months of rehab after getting hit by a car, the 30 seconds of time you save is not a good investment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:37 am 

So what exactly is jaywalking? The GO bus stop where this happened was at Derry west bound and 4th Line/Cedar Hedge so I guess the lady was trying to cross Derry to go south. Should people who live south of Derry not get off at this stop but rather get off at Trudeau or Miller Way/Armstrong and cross where there are traffic lights? Is this stop only for people who live north of Derry? I wouldn't define crossing there as jaywalking.

When I passed by there must have been at least a dozen police cars and they were putting up police tape across west bound Derry just past 4th line and tape was already up at Trudeau. A police car was blocking Derry at James Snow as well. There was no sign of the victim. From the report they kept the road closed for about 3 hours to investigate. Investigate what? What could they possibly discover or determine by closing the road for 3 hours?

In a momentary lapse of judgement the lady walked out in front of a car and was hit. Perhaps she was late for an appointment or picking up her kids? My guess is she crossed in front of the bus and didn't see the car as it was blocked from her view by the bus. It's sad when something like this happens and I hope she gets better soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:40 am 

gdm894 wrote:
So what exactly is jaywalking? The GO bus stop where this happened was at Derry west bound and 4th Line/Cedar Hedge so I guess the lady was trying to cross Derry to go south. Should people who live south of Derry not get off at this stop but rather get off at Trudeau or Miller Way/Armstrong and cross where there are traffic lights? Is this stop only for people who live north of Derry? I wouldn't define crossing there as jaywalking.

When I passed by there must have been at least a dozen police cars and they were putting up police tape across west bound Derry just past 4th line and tape was already up at Trudeau. A police car was blocking Derry at James Snow as well. There was no sign of the victim. From the report they kept the road closed for about 3 hours to investigate. Investigate what? What could they possibly discover or determine by closing the road for 3 hours?

In a momentary lapse of judgement the lady walked out in front of a car and was hit. Perhaps she was late for an appointment or picking up her kids? My guess is she crossed in front of the bus and didn't see the car as it was blocked from her view by the bus. It's sad when something like this happens and I hope she gets better soon.

Was it a marked corner where she crossed? If not, I'd call that jaywalking...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:36 am 

glocklover wrote:
jaywalking. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

When you factor in the months of rehab after getting hit by a car, the 30 seconds of time you save is not a good investment.

You should tell her this. I'm sure she's just as unaware as the rest of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 pm 

Jaywalking, is crossing in at anything other than a controlled crossing. You and I may do it without a problem for years, but when you cross a highway with a 60k speed limit, and not look carefully bad things can happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 pm 

glocklover wrote:
Jaywalking, is crossing in at anything other than a controlled crossing. You and I may do it without a problem for years, but when you cross a highway with a 60k speed limit, and not look carefully bad things can happen.

Thanks Wiki.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:20 am 

More helpful tips, please!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:47 am 

Quote:

FYI - it's not illegal to cross at an unmarked intersection. While i can't be bothered to look at up the rule's for Milton/Halton raods, i'm sure it's probably very similar to Toronto:

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase ... 49368.html

"Where there is no crosswalk, it is legal for pedestrians to cross, so long as you yield to on-coming traffic." and "The law does not stipulate how far from the nearest crosswalk one must be in order to legally cross mid-block, but the Toronto Police have advised to generally use 30 metres as a 'rule of thumb.' "

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:49 am 

milton411 wrote:
Quote:

FYI - it's not illegal to cross at an unmarked intersection. While i can't be bothered to look at up the rule's for Milton/Halton raods, i'm sure it's probably very similar to Toronto:

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase ... 49368.html

"Where there is no crosswalk, it is legal for pedestrians to cross, so long as you yield to on-coming traffic." and "The law does not stipulate how far from the nearest crosswalk one must be in order to legally cross mid-block, but the Toronto Police have advised to generally use 30 metres as a 'rule of thumb.' "

So with your logic if it weren't marked, she was still jaywalking as she didn't yield to oncoming traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:00 pm 

I hope you all get to the bottom of this important debate in due time.