HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Turntable Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am 

I have a bunch of vinyl that just arrived but I just realized I cannot play them.

Firstly, anyone got a turntable that works? If you like I will give you money for it.
Alternatively, is there a place in town where I could purchase one?
Additionally, where do y'all buy records?
Lastly, who's got a good collection and wants to share some music?

Last edited by Hodor on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I need a turntable
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 pm 

man...i just typed out a huge post, and it got deleted somehow...ill try again.
anyways, if you are looking to purchase, you cant go wrong with uturn audio - http://uturnaudio.com/
at 150 for the base model, you cant go wrong.
ive had mine for just under a year,and love it.
you will need to consider what you are going to be listening to it through too.

as for where to buy, places like hmv, sunrise, the beat goes on all sell new and mainly reissues, at insane prices.
as for local, and new and used selections, burlington has looney tunes, and paul the owner is a fountain of knowledge, and has a huge used section which is great to go through
hamilton has the cheapies and dr disc, which are both great, again with new and used, they do also carry a lot of less mainstream music too, which is great..
hamilton also has hammer city records, but they are very focused on punk and hardcore, with a decent reggae/ska selection too...both new and used.

toronto obviously has a bunch, but i dont really head downtown too often.
online, as well...discogs is a great site.

i could go on for a while, i have thinned out a lot of my collection over the years, but still am always on the hunt and love digging.

any other questions, or anything feel free to pm me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:32 pm 

technics 1200 or bust...

but you probably ain't scratchin'...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:04 pm 

Ahhh.. so this is why you were looking for “dad weed.” Someone is looking to trip out with his head phones on whilst listening to The Velvet Underground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Qo2-vQXQ4

Ok, so this is your chance to school me. Why go vinyl at this stage of the game in 2016?

First off, I get the difference between digital sound and a true sound wave, but to the average rube, is the difference that stark? I’m not convinced.

2nd, we’ve won the music war. Whether you use Windows’ Groove, iTunes or Play, you can have the world’s musical library in an app for $10 a month, and if you supplement that with YouTube, you get additional access to every live version, bootleg, acoustic version and just about any other rendition of any song ever recorded.

Why start paying premium dollars again for said music?

3rd. Everything sounds better on Dad weed. No premium needed!

Ok. Your turn. Go!

(That we’re wealthy suburbanites with everything and always need to find a new way to spend our cash is an acceptable answer – but I’m hoping for more!!)

Barb.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm 

my 2cents.
the you are really only going to notice a big difference if you have audiophile gear. while a decent system you will get that nice, warm feeling, which digital just doesnt give.
if you are going to use sh*t equipment, just dont bother, and stick with digital.
a side note - pretty much every record you buy now comes with a download code, so you can get the best of both worlds.

2nd - for me, the album, the whole album, including cover, lyric sheets or notes, or anything included with a record is the full experience...putting on a record, sitting and looking at the cover and everything is great...its art...the other part, for me and many others is also the collecting aspect of it...rare, out of print records, different pressings on different colours, or special "tour only covers", hand screened, whatever...its fun to search for a certain pressing of a certain record, and when you finally find it, you get to fill that hole in your collection.
in regards to paying premium dollars again...i get it...but the actual artist makes pennies on that kind of stuff...so if i order directly from them, or at a show at least they get a couple bucks instead of a couple cents.

3rd i agree...not much better that dad weed and a good set of headphones and a whiskey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm 

Ok, that’s a fairly reasonable response. I can remember being a young lad and reading lyric sheets – albeit mostly from cassettes – but I can get on board with that.

I can also get on board with collecting. I can’t see myself doing it, but I can understand the allure.

What speakers are you running with? I’ve committed myself to Bose at home - both plug in and portable - which will likely make you want to puke by the sounds of it. I know it’s a brand a lot of audiophiles loathe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:59 pm 

speakers are my next upgrade.
right now, just some cheap bookshelf speakers.
most of my listening is done through these headphones - http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio- ... ifi-hd-600 which are glorious.

a lot of audiophiles are for sure not into bose...as far as im concerned, if the listener enjoys it, then thats all that matters...at the end of the day, your set up is only as good as its weakest link.
i would rather have not great speakers at first and put the money into the record player...some of the cheaper record players being sold are sh*t, and will eventually destroy your records.

even entry level audiophile equipment can be very expensive...which is why those uturn record players are so popular...entry level at a price you cant beat...they started on kickstarter, and now they are very big...all great reviews in audiophile sites.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm 

saying all that, i do not consider myself an audiophile...i cant afford to be one. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:32 pm 

Sennheiser eh?

Last year's CES show had them unveil a set of $50 000 headphones. Not sure if you saw that or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-IaLkpncU

I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:37 pm 

yeah, i saw that.
im on a couple record collecting message boards, and some of the equipment is on that level of mind blowing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm 

And your favorite album?

Can be either from your collection, a wish to have, or both.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:47 pm 

thats a tough one.
i im not sure i could narrow it down to one.
i have a few different, for different reasons.
ill try and narrow it down to 3.

hot water music - fuel for the hate game is one of them.
grade -...and such is progress ( or any grade record for that matter)
and a bit more recently, the dirty nil - smite.

how about you, favourite album?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm 

martin prince wrote:
Ahhh.. so this is why you were looking for “dad weed.” Someone is looking to trip out with his head phones on whilst listening to The Velvet Underground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Qo2-vQXQ4

Ok, so this is your chance to school me. Why go vinyl at this stage of the game in 2016?

First off, I get the difference between digital sound and a true sound wave, but to the average rube, is the difference that stark? I’m not convinced.

2nd, we’ve won the music war. Whether you use Windows’ Groove, iTunes or Play, you can have the world’s musical library in an app for $10 a month, and if you supplement that with YouTube, you get additional access to every live version, bootleg, acoustic version and just about any other rendition of any song ever recorded.

Why start paying premium dollars again for said music?

3rd. Everything sounds better on Dad weed. No premium needed!

Ok. Your turn. Go!

(That we’re wealthy suburbanites with everything and always need to find a new way to spend our cash is an acceptable answer – but I’m hoping for more!!)

Barb.

In this day of streaming everything (Spotify and Apple Music), we no longer actually own anything anymore. CDs are stupid, they pretend to be durable but scratch up and get lost. Vinyl is just something special - they're big, tangible items that are nice to hold, look at, and use.
It's nice to flip a record on and just listen to the tracks in order. No itchy skipping-tracks trigger finger, just a good beer, some great music, and getting high as f**K.

Also, most of the albums I want to buy are from bands who aren't very popular - so this, along with tshirts and whatnot are really the best way to support them. They aren't making anything from the streaming services, that's for sure.

I mean, this just came in the mail and it's cool as sh*t. I can't wait to read lyrics again while I listen to the music:

Last edited by Hodor on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm 

martin prince wrote:
And your favorite album?

Can be either from your collection, a wish to have, or both.

I must have listened to The Wall a thousand times, if not two thousand. Being front row centre for roger waters' show was incredible, and having a copy of that actual record in my hands - even just to listen to a borrowed copy - would require me to change my pants.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:16 pm 

aaaaand, there's something neat about listening to my parents' old records. When Peter Frampton is laying down his mind-melting mouth-guitar-lyric-thingy in Do You Feel Like We Do, there's something just a little more special knowing that my folks were tripping balls listening to the same record when they were young.