HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boys tackle box
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:22 pm 

Equipping the 8 yr old for fishing. Tackle box is done, he gets my old one, because that's what he wanted.
So my new tackle box is now full of old Rapala and Mepps which I am willing to share but not gift.
Noticed Walmart is about a third the price of Canadian Tire, but unfamiliar brands.
Is that OK? Are Rapala and Mepps THAT much better for a young boys ammunition box?
Or does a young boy just want bobbers and worms? Quantity of sunfish over quality of Bass wins?
How Can a single bobber be worth $10? Sheesh.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

Post subject: Re: Boys tackle box
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm 

Where ya going fishing? Bobbers worms and hooks are good for actually catching something shitty but rapalas are awesome for actual bass.

The coolest things for kids though are those frogs or mouse things that you can skim across the top of lily pads. Bass friggin' ATTACK those things, and they're always big. Best part is a kid is free to cast them in whatever total mess of weeds you can find and they won't get snagged. They also look neat and are kind of fun to use. Top water lures are my bass method of choice in late August when the water temp is warm and they are feeding voraciously in preparation for the winter. I think the shorter days trigger their "eat everything in sight" mechanism.

Like everything, knowing what the fish will bite depends on where you're fishing and what the clouds are like and what the water temperature is and whether or not Pearl Jam played last night, among other things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 pm 

Ideally canoe trips down the Grande, when there used to be water flowing.
Occasionally we hit the local conservation areas.
So river and docks. He can't sit still long enough to try my patience putting a canoe in a lake. He is clear that rivers are serious sh*t.
I did buy him a mouse, a Rapala mouse, but I can't fill a tackle box at those prices.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Ideally canoe trips down the Grande, when there used to be water flowing.
Occasionally we hit the local conservation areas.
So river and docks. He can't sit still long enough to try my patience putting a canoe in a lake. He is clear that rivers are serious sh*t.
I did buy him a mouse, a Rapala mouse, but I can't fill a tackle box at those prices.

Just go online for your stuff. You also don't need to get everything all at once.

Check this out - it's awesome. https://mysterytacklebox.com/subscribe

You pick what you're fishing for and they send you a box of tackle every month. Good stuff, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 pm 

Cool. I selected sunfish, so they will send me a can of corn and a hotdog monthly.
Have you ever seen a cat eat a sunfish live? It's captivating. They eat the face first every time.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:51 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Cool. I selected sunfish, so they will send me a can of corn and a hotdog monthly.
Have you ever seen a cat eat a sunfish live? It's captivating. They eat the face first every time.

Yeah so do I. Helps keep the fins pointed in the right direction so it doesn't get caught in my throat.

Did you know you can't bite through a fresh trouts belly? I mean, it is literally impossible for humans to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 pm 

Hodor wrote:

Did you know you can't bite through a fresh trouts belly? I mean, it is literally impossible for humans to do this.

is that a revenge thing, or a gimme my worm back thing?
You could probably apply that wisdom to most animals belly. Except worms, they have a soft belly.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:02 pm 

The only suggestion I have is don't do a Google search for "boys tackle box" I can only imagine the results.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:06 am 

Have you ever though of looking at Dollarama? They have some great inexpensive inline spinners. I have used them with great success and at the price point they can't be beat. Stay away from any of the bodybaits as most are too light and don't swim straight.

If you are looking for body baits a great option is the Lunkerhunt brand at Canadian tire. Good quality and a bit cheaper.

Overall my suggestion with kids it better to keep it simple. In my experience lures are often made to attract fisherman rather than fish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:29 pm 

Where you guys finding Trout?
2.5 hrs today with 2 lines in 16 Mile creek for nothing. Just some uuuugly white sucker fish.

-Randy-South Park