HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:44 pm 

No, silly. I won't have to actually own the car anymore. I'll just pay monthly for access to a pool of vehicles that just show up when I need them like Uber.

No more oil changes, no more cleaning it, no more maintenance inconveniences. Garage becomes a giant sex dungeon and/or student barracks.

It's gonna be awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:00 pm 

Hodor wrote:
No, silly. I won't have to actually own the car anymore. I'll just pay monthly for access to a pool of vehicles that just show up when I need them like Uber.

No more oil changes, no more cleaning it, no more maintenance inconveniences. Garage becomes a giant sex dungeon and/or student barracks.

It's gonna be awesome.
Ya, a man cave for all men, but wait, Mattamy will just build homes on 20 ft lots with no garage, kids toys all over the front lawn, lawnmowers on the porch. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:12 pm 

Tinfoil wrote:
The counterargument to this is why would you voluntarily buy more cars than you have room to store them, or conversely, why would you buy a home here if you cannot store your existing fleet of cars at your new home?

The conflict is arising because there is a collision (no pun originally intended) between 'old-school' values like 'one or more cars for every Canadian driver, no matter what the resource impacts are' with newer practicalities like 'there is only so much land to build on, and more and more demands for its use'.

...and the counter to that would be: Shouldn’t a home that costs north of $600 000 come with some basic things that cover the needs of suburban life? Do you have kids? Is there a possibility that one of them may want to own their own car before they move out? Maybe some people have functioning in-laws that move in that need to get places? There’s lots of stories out there.

If it was a small issue limited to a couple houses I’d say you’re mostly right. But this is not one or two houses we're talking about here. It’s a systematic issue all over town. That suggests to me there's a legit issue on the table that's being missed at the concept stage. Namely: Single file parking with a sidewalk lots are an abject failure.

Although Hodor's autonomous Uber counterpoint is quite good; its going to take some time for it to become ubiquitous. Till then, our wheels will continue to spin - on our lawns. (that’s a funny joke!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:57 pm 

Ok, I guess, everyone has a point. But folks, lets be practical here. Some of the houses that Mattamy built have double garages, but they have it staggered and the walkway that the town built is smack right in the middle. So this makes essentially one spot not suitable for parking even a motorcycle, let alone a car!! And when the lower portion of the driveway is big enough to hold two large sized Sedans or two Honda Pilot, why wouldn't we park there rather than park on the street? Sounds logical?? We are clearing up the space on the streets for people to drive un-obstructed.

Update: Called the city and they said they come out to ticket on a complaint basis!!! Now watch, more complaints are going to flood the city and eventually everyone some way or the other in the Town of Milton will get affected!!! It's just a matter of time that people start realizing that the city is causing a lot of inconvenience to people or all the streets of Milton turn into a 15 Hr parking limit zone!!! Yes, the other way to get around this issue is to get a 15 Hr parking permit for the streets affected (as told by the city parking enforcement authority) and park on the street!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:11 am 

pintomk wrote:
Ok, I guess, everyone has a point. But folks, lets be practical here. Some of the houses that Mattamy built have double garages, but they have it staggered and the walkway that the town built is smack right in the middle. So this makes essentially one spot not suitable for parking even a motorcycle, let alone a car!! And when the lower portion of the driveway is big enough to hold two large sized Sedans or two Honda Pilot, why wouldn't we park there rather than park on the street? Sounds logical?? We are clearing up the space on the streets for people to drive un-obstructed.

Update: Called the city and they said they come out to ticket on a complaint basis!!! Now watch, more complaints are going to flood the city and eventually everyone some way or the other in the Town of Milton will get affected!!! It's just a matter of time that people start realizing that the city is causing a lot of inconvenience to people or all the streets of Milton turn into a 15 Hr parking limit zone!!! Yes, the other way to get around this issue is to get a 15 Hr parking permit for the streets affected (as told by the city parking enforcement authority) and park on the street!!!

The town definitely made those aprons large for parking cars on purpose. There's no other explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 am 

There IS another explanation.

The Town simply places nearly all of the sidewalks at the edges of their rights-of-way as near to the property lines as practicable, to create a visible 'claim' and minimize future grief:

In some cases, the roadway allowances are wider than others, because those corridors have been designated for possible multi-lane expansions at some point in the future.
If the extra lanes are added, then the grassy boulevards (and driveway 'skirts') are reduced to make room for them.

The BUILDERS, on the other hand, are motivated to cram as many McMansions as possible into every hectare to maximize profits. So they design really large homes on really small lots, and take advantage of the perception that the Town-owned land beyond the sidewalk is 'there for the taking' by the home-buyers for their inalienable use.

Its even worse on the OTHER side of the street where there is sometimes no sidewalk, so those home-buyers get even more blindsided when and if the Town decides to widen the road.

If you go back and look that that map I posted earlier, you can see this setup along Clark. There are homes on the north side built so close to their property edge (i.e. the sidewalk) that there is almost no room for ANY large vehicles on private property at all (unless of course, there was somehow some special purpose place designated within the home where a car could be located :) )

Blame the greed of the builders, not the Town.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:57 am 

I agree that this situation is completely stupid but there is a lot of blame to go around.

Builders only build what people ask for. Should they specifically ask the buyer how many cars they have and whether they are going to fill their garages with crap?

I have 2 neighbors who both have 3 cars and park two in the driveway and one on the little sliver at the end of their driveway past the sidewalk. Neither use their garage and dismount the end of the driveway by driving across the grass. Looks amazing!!

I am surprised that the city does not nail them either but I guess because it does not obstruct the view on the road.

At the end of the day if your needs are exceeding your home you have to move. Most people (including myself) have been pressured into buying a house with not much thought and under a tight deadline due to rapid pace of the housing market.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:09 am 

Tinfoil wrote:

I disagree.

The builders merely represent the supply side of supply and demand in this scenario. Right now there is insane demand for homes so they will continue to give us: A) what we're in a frenzy over and B) what they are allowed to build through the Ontario Building Code. So the blame falls on us first for spending north of a half million dollars on something sight unseen. ( so that backs up your earlier point of why would someone buy a home that doesn't suit them)

After that, I personally look to the town or whatever governing body is in charge of creating regulations on how your house is built and how it interacts with the town around it. If something is not working, then it needs to be regulated, because the OBC is what the builders work off. If the book says its ok, they'll do it.

So the builders actually carry the least, if not zero blame, even though it seems like they are the easiest one to point the finger at.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 am 

martin prince wrote:
Tinfoil wrote:

After that, I personally look to the town or whatever governing body is in charge of creating regulations on how your house is built and how it interacts with the town around it. If something is not working, then it needs to be regulated, because the OBC is what the builders work off. If the book says its ok, they'll do it.

No amount of city planning can address the concern we have here. Many of the homes in Milton have very short driveways and multifamilies/basement apartments ( largely illegal and unenforced) are the new norm. This cannot be enforced or built into the equation.

I have found that peoples behavior is largely to remain uninformed and wait till somebody calls me out on it. There are many people who prey upon the fact that there are simply not enough resources to enforce city bylaws and figure what the hell.

These issues as I have said before are going to get worse. Look no further than Mississauga and Brampton. The explosion of people moving into the burbs due to the lack of housing is crazy. Milton is heading this way shortly with a lot less infrastructure.

I have already read that people are going to begin petitioning the city to allow overnight parking. Can't wait!! Our street way thinner than the streets in Misssissauga and Brampton. With a big snowfall and huge snowbanks its going to be a complete shitshow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:36 pm 

Tinfoil wrote:
There IS another explanation.

The Town simply places nearly all of the sidewalks at the edges of their rights-of-way as near to the property lines as practicable, to create a visible 'claim' and minimize future grief:

In some cases, the roadway allowances are wider than others, because those corridors have been designated for possible multi-lane expansions at some point in the future.
If the extra lanes are added, then the grassy boulevards (and driveway 'skirts') are reduced to make room for them.

The BUILDERS, on the other hand, are motivated to cram as many McMansions as possible into every hectare to maximize profits. So they design really large homes on really small lots, and take advantage of the perception that the Town-owned land beyond the sidewalk is 'there for the taking' by the home-buyers for their inalienable use.

Its even worse on the OTHER side of the street where there is sometimes no sidewalk, so those home-buyers get even more blindsided when and if the Town decides to widen the road.

If you go back and look that that map I posted earlier, you can see this setup along Clark. There are homes on the north side built so close to their property edge (i.e. the sidewalk) that there is almost no room for ANY large vehicles on private property at all (unless of course, there was somehow some special purpose place designated within the home where a car could be located :) )

What actually happened with those long aprons:

Original plans had a bike path that was supposed to cut through them - you can see this rough plan with the way the trees were planted along Trudeau on the east side. Path was supposed to split those trees.

Well, once residents got wind of this they put pressure on the town to cancel this idea because they'd all become accustomed to parking on these aprons, and a bike path would obviously eliminate this.

So they changed it, no paths, people parked there for OVER 10 YEARS, and now suddenly "oh sorry bros you cannot park there here's a ticket."

It's ludicrous.