HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fence craziness
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:48 pm 

We finally finished getting a fence. You can not believe the crazy hassle it is to organize people to pay for a fence. Mind you, most people want a fence but it only takes 2-4 people to mess up an entire 2 street fence project.

my neighbour behind me did not want to pay for example. I am lucky lucky though, her backyard only split half my backyard and only cost me an extra $260. But I feel bad for the neighbours beside her that had to pay for the full Fenceline extra $600. And please don't tell me the town has a bylaw... Read the bottom of the web page before replying.
http://www.milton.ca/en/build/fencebylaw.asp

There must be a way to make getting fences easier with new homes.

Anyway this was a very poor experience for me.

Post subject: Re: Fence craziness
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:25 pm 

I like the last part of the link. There's a bylaw, BUT Please note that the Town of Milton does not enforce this by-law.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:44 pm 

Miles wrote:
I like the last part of the link. There's a bylaw, BUT Please note that the Town of Milton does not enforce this by-law.

It doesn't mean the By-law isn't enforceable - just that any action must be taken under the Provincial Offences Act, not through the Town of Milton.

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:46 pm 

The Home Hunter wrote:
Miles wrote:

It doesn't mean the By-law isn't enforceable - just that any action must be taken under the Provincial Offences Act, not through the Town of Milton.

Well, you can't say that wording helps when it comes to scaring all the shithead dirtbags who don't want to pay for something that will benefit them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:50 pm 

Hodor wrote:
The Home Hunter wrote:
Miles wrote:

Well, you can't say that wording helps when it comes to scaring all the shithead dirtbags who don't want to pay for something that will benefit them.

Agree, and my response probably seems a little harsh - didn't mean to come across like that. Just went through paying for a fence where four neighbours wouldn't contribute (paid for it all myself) - so feel the OP's pain.

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 pm 

We had the same issues last year. We've been trying for the 5 years I've been here and it was always an issue. My next-door neighbour last year tried again. I told him I would pay to build his and mine if no one agrees, because he did all the work to organize it. Sure enough 35 of the 38 agreed and the fence company almost didn't do it. I lost my mind, and called them up and told them I'd find a private contractor (it really ticked me off because I also did a deal with them to do a deck that cost me $13k), so this was a pretty big job. Some neighbours got involved and the last 3 caved. Its really surprising because most of the fence contractors will do terms/payments for people. Up to like 6 months from my understanding. Yet some just don't want it. Maybe because they love the large football field they roam around in without any fences up back there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:26 pm 

No, they know the fence is coming, they are just too selfish to contribute.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:20 am 

Its the same basic attitude where they drop litter in parks because 'someone else will pick it up for me' or working 'under-the-table' because 'someone else will support the government for me'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 am 

Problem is most people don't even have a budget for these types of expenses and when they come up they are super annoyed or surprised... Just imagine what will happen in a few years when the crappy mattamy roof they have needs to be replaced... 20 year shingles are more like 12 in Canada and that warranty is not even worth the paper its written on...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 am 

You should have spray painted the side of the fence facing the neighbor who didn't want to pay
"hot pink".

Since it is your fence and you have paid for it. They can not touch your fence. They can not hang or lean anything against your fence. Ensure they stay clear of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:52 am 

Ms President wrote:
You should have spray painted the side of the fence facing the neighbor who didn't want to pay
"hot pink".

Since it is your fence and you have paid for it. They can not touch your fence. They can not hang or lean anything against your fence. Ensure they stay clear of it.

This is the stupidest and most-frequently cited piece of false fence advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:36 am 

That will only work if you install the fence on your property (not on the property line).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Ms President wrote:
"hot pink".

This is the stupidest and most-frequently cited piece of false fence advice.

Prickly Pete! Whats up? I see your half ass, dumb witted comments haven't changed. Still stale as ever I see. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:39 pm 

DRiFT_645 wrote:
That will only work if you install the fence on your property (not on the property line).

If there is only one person paying for the fence. I would advise the install of the fence be 6 inches away from the property line. Putting it right on the property line would give that neighbor rights to the fence.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 pm 

Ms President wrote:

If there is only one person paying for the fence. I would advise the install of the fence be 6 inches away from the property line. Putting it right on the property line would give that neighbor rights to the fence.

That just gives the welcher more lawn and the person who pays for the fence less lawn. After all, the welcher still has use of the fence because it is only a barrier between lots.

Painting it an undesirable colour is also a waste of time and money because the welcher can just paint over it even if it is not on their property.

IMO this is the responsibility of the fence company and decent home owners should not have to pony-up and pay for welchers neighbours.

Maybe fence companies need to consider this when quoting fences and offer a rebate to ALL of the home owners if everybody pays up. This way one home owner is not stuck with paying the entire cost because his neighbouring idiot welcher does not pay up.