HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: winter tires
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:38 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Personally I just hate anyone handling the aluminum rims and putting them through all the salt and snow. To each his own.

Not just that, but every time I go for tire replacement which includes unmounting/mounting, the technician ALWAYS scratches my wheels. It's unbelievable.

I am sure the children at Costco appreciate you bringing your car in to learn on, though.

Always remember: experienced, high quality mechanics almost never prefer to work at chain shops or dealerships.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:56 am 

^ Well that was a pretty wide swipe. I suppose you never had to start at the bottom, work hard and pride yourself on a good job?

I have never had a bad experience at Costco and have been using them for many years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:04 pm 

Reputable tire shops also scratch rims - seen it several times.

This is why I go to megawheelz - the owner is a family friend and takes care of me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:09 pm 

any good local tire shops? Need winter tires for my maxima

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 pm 

Deep wrote:

This is so true. Any wheel or tire service I need now for my summer alloy wheels, I go to a friend who works at a dealership who can do it well. I will gladly pay extra to not get my wheels scratched and nicked.

I refuse to believe the excuse that it's unavoidable, because if that were the case, how do brand-new cars delivered to dealers not have scatches on the wheels? I also learned how to do it in high school auto mechanics and never scratched any of the teachers' alloy wheels when I was the poor fool who hooked them up with free service.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Deep wrote:

This is so true. Any wheel or tire service I need now for my summer alloy wheels, I go to a friend who works at a dealership who can do it well. I will gladly pay extra to not get my wheels scratched and nicked.

I refuse to believe the excuse that it's unavoidable, because if that were the case, how do brand-new cars delivered to dealers not have scatches on the wheels? I also learned how to do it in high school auto mechanics and never scratched any of the teachers' alloy wheels when I was the poor fool who hooked them up with free service.

Some places have mounting machines with metal tire pusher-onner-thingies, as opposed to hard rubber ones that are better for alloy rims. This makes the job a little harder. Other shops have kids doing the tire changes who are more likely to drop the wheel "good side down."

In the end it's just careless mistakes that result in damage to property, and this is less likely with more experienced mechanics - who come at a cost.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:10 pm 

Wolverine wrote:
^ Well that was a pretty wide swipe. I suppose you never had to start at the bottom, work hard and pride yourself on a good job?

I have never had a bad experience at Costco and have been using them for many years.

Of course. Everyone starts at the bottom, makes mistakes, and (usually) learns from them. Auto repair is no different.

I thank you for helping train the experienced mechanics of the future with your car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:21 pm 

^ We are talking tire change overs Hodor... Not a transmission rebuild... Grab a bit of perspective...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

Wolverine wrote:
^ We are talking tire change overs Hodor... Not a transmission rebuild... Grab a bit of perspective...

Worked in a shop when I was in high school. Have stayed in touch with the 'shop life' ever since. Believe me, I have too much perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Dropping a wheel on its face.

In the end it's just careless mistakes that result in damage to property, and this is less likely with more experienced mechanics - who come at a cost.

A tech did that to one of my summer wheels too and wouldn't admit it, and I was pissed, but then it's like what do you do? Yeah, they can re-finish it, but then you don't have another wheel to roll on for a week or two.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Dropping a wheel on its face.

A tech did that to one of my summer wheels too and wouldn't admit it, and I was pissed, but then it's like what do you do? Yeah, they can re-finish it, but then you don't have another wheel to roll on for a week or two.

Seems crazy but I take a picture of every one of rims with a "date note" on it, before they go into storage at the shop or are being swapped. I do the same thing with the exterior/interior of the car if it's going in for a larger service where they may have my car for more than a few hours. AND I have a big "DO NOT WASH!!" sign that goes on my dash so they don't have kids scrubbing my car down with a dirty rag.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:23 pm 

Burrcold wrote:
Seems crazy but I take a picture of every one of rims with a "date note" on it, before they go into storage at the shop or are being swapped. I do the same thing with the exterior/interior of the car if it's going in for a larger service where they may have my car for more than a few hours. AND I have a big "DO NOT WASH!!" sign that goes on my dash so they don't have kids scrubbing my car down with a dirty rag.

Great idea! Especially on the do not wash sign. I went to Team Honda earlier this year and asked not to have my Civic washed (told the service advisor and the appointment booker to note it on the work order) after servicing, and they did it anyway and dried with a regular towel that left water marks, which really annoyed me.

I too take a photo of the odometer. I will do that for the wheels, but in my case, it was very obvious the guy dropped my wheel on its face.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:45 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Burrcold wrote:

Great idea! Especially on the do not wash sign. I went to Team Honda earlier this year and asked not to have my Civic washed (told the service advisor and the appointment booker to note it on the work order) after servicing, and they did it anyway and dried with a regular towel that left water marks, which really annoyed me.

I too take a photo of the odometer. I will do that for the wheels, but in my case, it was very obvious the guy dropped my wheel on its face.

Those plastic bags you can get for your wheels will help protect them from scratches a little bit as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Those plastic bags you can get for your wheels will help protect them from scratches a little bit as well.

Costco puts bags on my tires too 8) The vehicle that gets the tire swap is a mini van, it really doesn't matter what happens to the rims. Nothing too fancy on that one. The other vehicle is taken to an authorized machanic for the type of vehicle and the price reflects it.

Some vehicles deserve the extra expense others are just used till they die.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:22 pm 

Have you guys already put your winter tires on? I usually have them on by this time of year but held off due to the unusually warmer weather.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next