HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 pm 

I too get that monthly craving for Halifax donair and the last few times have actually been the best ever for me. I get the donair subs though, and the donair pizzas occasionally. When they're not busy they'll fry the onions on your sandwich too and ohh man its good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 am 

Went to THAI HOUSE a couple weeks ago, and we were pleasantly surprised. Really good.

Otherwise, it's PASQUALINO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:15 am 

Thai House is awesome. We get delivery from them once a week!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:54 am 

I really liked Thai House as well as we used to go to their other location in Port Credit. Last two times I went to the one in Milton, the curries were super watery and bland. I find for a takeout place, you don't get the best bang for your buck either.

If we are in the mood for something different, we have had great experiences at Bombay Grill. Always seems like we get more food for about $10 - $15 less there, and leftovers for the next day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:39 am 

No they are definitely not the cheapest. $50 easy delivered for 2 people.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:04 pm 

For Thai, we really like 'Toss Thai' on Steeles (good for dine-in or delivery).
Not fancy, but good.

I agree with the other posters, though.
Milton is severely lacking in 'date night' restaurants.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:56 pm 

We don't have extra cash for food which taste and cooked better at home anyway. But...

Sushi Ya Japan on Martin for take out.
http://www.brydenspub.com/ for something nothing special, but wings.

For OP I recommend to have a walk on the old Main Street. Short walk but many busy and different places to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:16 am 

We still find the Grand Chalet on Steeles & Hwy25 to be good for quality and value especially if it's group dining (B'days etc) Everyone that likes lamb raves about the spiducci's!
The other place of note is Casa Americo on Main St. Again good quality and they have a great lunch menu.

All the restaurants seem busy especially Fri/Sat nights so I'm thinking house poor may be a stretch in the current debate.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:21 am 

Love Pasqualinosn still haven't tried Marquee, something always seems to come up.

That place where Saucy was appears to have changed owners again?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:50 am 

Has anyone tried pita nutso for shawarmas ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:55 am 

We've had our fair share of visiting restaurants in town. Everyone's opinion is going to be different, but I'll give you a run down of what we've enjoyed and haven't.

Pasqualinos- fantastic, but pricey. You get what you pay for though so if you want a tasty fresh meal, this is your place.

Thai House- one of our faves. Love Thai and this is authentic. Friendly staff too.

Joya- went there this weekend and it was great! Family run and food was very good. Our kids loved it too.

Grill Daddy- great for breakfast. Do not like Sunset Grill at all, especially the one at Bronte and Derry, food is just terrible.

Oshima Sushi- was alright. Our daughter who loves sushi enjoys going there the most.

EddieOs- drinks are good but I don't get the hype about the food. We have had a problem all 3 times we've been there. Hubby won't go there again after our last visit-no apology from the manager, food not taken off the bill even after being sent back twice. We have friends that have had similar problems there too. We won't go back.

Rad Brothers- good food, we like the atmosphere.

Casa Americo- been there twice and enjoyed the food both times. Very friendly wait staff and attentive.

Osmows- this is our favourite Shawarma place, we used to drive to Streetsville to get it. I can't comment on the others because we've never been.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:01 pm 

Everyone's tastes vary, so here are my favs:

Breakfast: Louie's - best greasy spoon around. great for lunch also.

Pizza/Pasta: Always had good experiences at the Port (Portabello) for pizza and pasta in a sit-down setting. Take-out I like Luigi's, but have had good luck with the place on Main in the Carriage plaza.
Halifax Donair for their special Donair pizza.

Done well at Casa Americo for a nice night out Italian fare.
Rad Bros has the best burger in town IMO, as well as their Jack Daniels wings are great if you like tangy.

I'm not much for heat, but I do like the Hood & Grill. Must eat-in, not the same when take-out (perhaps a time to serve thing).

Mamma Mila's is worth a try for a cafe style lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:56 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
You'll find more options using the search function old posts but here are my top faves in town only:

1. Vietnamese - Pho Miltom
2. Shawarma - Hood and Grill (best shawarma meat, but he is cheap on wrap fillings and there is little selection of vegetables, but he makes his own hot sauce, dressing and hummus)
3. Shawarma- Shawarma Corner (so-so meat, but excellent selection of wrap fillings)
4. Sushi/Japanese - Aji Sai and Oshima sushi for all you can eat, and Sushi Ya for an a la carte place
5. Louie's Diner - For a mom n pops grease spoon and breakfast

I actually like Shawarma Corner the best. The chicken is awesome, great portions with the shawarma salads & their salad dressings & garlic sauce are one of the best I've tasted. The restaurant itself however, has more of a fast food vibe to it.

The Hood & Grill is a close second, & the restaurant although dated looking has more of a sit down & eat there ambience.

I like Osmow's third......it's still great but I think the other two place do a better job.

Someone asked about Pita Nutso.....it used to be "the place" to go....it's not anymore. Maybe locations outside of Milton are better....I don't know.

Paramount Fine Foods is just too corporate for their own good. I'm sure it was a great restaurant at its roots in Toronto way back when, but most of the locations I've tried just aren't up to par with the competition.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm 

The Worx - really good burgers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm 

newermiltonian wrote:
Galitos is awesome if you like spicy chicken like Nandos.

Recently went to Galitos. I'm not sure why this place is awesome. the chicken was dried out and not very tasty. I had to have it swimming in sauce to make it some what palatable. the sides, i had to toss, could not stomach it at all.

Driving out to Brasas's i think is still worth it.