HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 am 

Hello, guys,

Enough is enough. I heard our school bus driver screaming and press horn to the driver who passed the flashing school bus again and again since September, 2016. Of course, it happen this morning again!

It is all about educations.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... fety.shtml

Drivers travelling in [b]BOTH[/b] directions must [b]STOP[/b] for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing.

PLEASE stop your car when the school bus flashing, it is about life or death.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 am 

Except when there is a median, in which case oncoming traffic is NOT required to stop.

I also suggest that instead of pressing the horn and screaming, reporting drivers who don't stop for a school bus might be a more effective way to deter people from improperly passing. Or report that this is a chronic problem in that area, so that they can maybe have an officer there to catch people in the act. 6 demerit points is a big price to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:11 pm 

JLB wrote:
Except when there is a median, in which case oncoming traffic is NOT required to stop.

I also suggest that instead of pressing the horn and screaming, reporting drivers who don't stop for a school bus might be a more effective way to deter people from improperly passing. Or report that this is a chronic problem in that area, so that they can maybe have an officer there to catch people in the act. 6 demerit points is a big price to pay.

School buses should have dash cams.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 pm 

cov-canuck wrote:
JLB wrote:

I really don't understand why they don't, they should also have written on the back of the bus. This bus is equipped with a camera, violators WILL be fined. They should operate just like a red light camera, when the flashing lights goes on/stop sign comes out, the camera takes photo's $350 fine comes in the mail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:18 pm 

justagirl wrote:
cov-canuck wrote:
JLB wrote:

I really don't understand why they don't, they should also have written on the back of the bus. This bus is equipped with a camera, violators WILL be fined. They should operate just like a red light camera, when the flashing lights goes on/stop sign comes out, the camera takes photo's $350 fine comes in the mail.

FYI, the fine for passing a school bus when the stop sign arm is extended is much higher. The charge is the same as impaired driving or stunt driving.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:56 pm 

They're comparing using a camera to catch drivers passing a school bus, with a red light camera (no demerit points but $350, whereas 3 demerit points are added if you're caught in the act by an officer).

First offence passing a school bus with arms flashing is between $400 - $2000 and 6 demerit points, but they can't issue demerit points for an offence if there isn't an officer there to witness / issue the ticket. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's because the registered owner of the car is getting the ticket when they use a camera, regardless of who was driving it.

It's still a good idea though.. risk of actually getting caught (and a penalty that hurts enough) are good deterrents for the average driver.

ETA: re the above comment - impaired driving and dangerous driving are a criminal offences. Stunt driving and passing a school bus both fall under the Highway Traffic Act.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 pm 

Why don't they just make the flashing stop sign that swings out a giant arm that extends across the whole road?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am 

Hello, guys,

My bus stop does not have a median.

Dash camera is a good idea, BUT it was difficult to recognize the license plate number when you turned your family car like a weapons.

The message is very simple, PLEASE don't do it again, NEIGHBORS!

Suggestion:

Using color spray from school bus to the lower part of the car (NOT the window), make sure the driver is safe to drive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:01 pm 

How do you know your neighbors are reading this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:23 am 

SEE something, SAY something, to PROTECT OUR YOUNG

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... in-halton/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:34 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Why don't they just make the flashing stop sign that swings out a giant arm that extends across the whole road?

That's a great idea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:36 pm 

BeeBee wrote:
Hello, guys,

Enough is enough. I heard our school bus driver screaming and press horn to the driver who passed the flashing school bus again and again since September, 2016. Of course, it happen this morning again!

It is all about educations.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... fety.shtml

Drivers travelling in BOTH directions must STOP for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing.

PLEASE stop your car when the school bus flashing, it is about life or death.

Are you in the Laurier and Commercial Street area? They do the same thing there. Happens almost every day. Bus driver is yelling and honking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:07 pm 

MiltonBorn wrote:
Hodor wrote:

That's a great idea.

Why don't they just make the bus driver get out and play crossing guard? Or a volunteer parent? Or buy yourself an orange vest at Canadian Tire and make yourself a red octagon sign on a stick?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park