HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Provincial politics?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 pm 

I noticed a local councilor is trying to get on the ballot for the upcoming provincial election for the PC’s. Does anyone else think someone who is collecting a 100k salary from local tax payers should be spending his time applying for another job.

Zee caught some flack when he announced he was going to run for the Liberal nomination; if I remember correctly he was honest and upfront about it prior to the local municipal election… it just doesn’t seem right to me, the average person can’t openly apply for jobs and take time to interview for a new job while on company time.

Why not make it clear when he was running for local office back in 2014? This is clearly something that has been planned for many years…

So much for fairness for Milton.

Post subject: Re: Provincial politics?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:41 am 

So you plan to quit your job before finding another one? That doesn't make much sense to me if you have bills to pay each month. When I had a chance to hire for a position at my office each of the candidates were currently employed and didn't quit just so they could interview with us. He is still out there working hard for the community as far as I can see. And will most likely do so if he gets a new role in the next provincial election. Optics are good in my books. Local councillors are ideal candidates for provincial positions because they know the residents, they know the local issues and can represent those issues at the province.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:29 am 

First up, Z was straight up, no question. He almost lost the last election because of it. I think the reason he got flack was because he was trying to become a federal MP, which if became the candidate, and ultimately won the election (Liberals lost locally), then he would be resigning about 1 year into his 4 year mandate. Cluett is trying to become the candidate for the PC's locally as an MPP, which has the same election cycle as municipal elections. So while for a period of time, he'll be doing double duty, I think the thought is you don't need to resign and can prevent the need for a by-election mid-term (by-elections are just annoying.. who wants to pay for another election when we just voted in that guy).

So that is just the history lesson and why some people may be less annoyed. That said, do you want your elected officials to enter politics as unemployed bums? Or do you want us to pay not only MP/MPPs but also failed candidates of parties to run? (there are subsidies to the parties)

It reminds me of people that are upset when people go looking for work but don't tell their bosses/work that they are looking. In the best of scenarios, its good of people to be straight up with their boss, but at the same time, if it doesn't work out, then it could be catastrophically bad for them. Most people look for work while they already have a job.. thats just the way it is.

miltonbeny wrote:
I noticed a local councilor is trying to get on the ballot for the upcoming provincial election for the PC’s. Does anyone else think someone who is collecting a 100k salary from local tax payers should be spending his time applying for another job.

Zee caught some flack when he announced he was going to run for the Liberal nomination; if I remember correctly he was honest and upfront about it prior to the local municipal election… it just doesn’t seem right to me, the average person can’t openly apply for jobs and take time to interview for a new job while on company time.

Why not make it clear when he was running for local office back in 2014? This is clearly something that has been planned for many years…

So much for fairness for Milton.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:39 am 

I guess I have different expectations from a local and regional councilor earning far more than he would earn in the private sector than the accounts payable clerk you hired that is looking for $18 an hour. I don’t want him to quit, but he should be held accountable for his gutless posturing. This benefits nobody but himself and when you’re in a public office and your create an identity of fairness for Milton and rejecting salary increases because you feel it’s right thing to do but then are willing to collect a paycheck from Milton tax payers to campaign full time for another job is the same as stealing.

He is my councilor and I have voted for him in the past but if he gets nominated he will be fully committed to campaigning and abounding his responsibilities to the community. We have plenty of grassroots issues that need attention and I never thought he was just another wannabe career politician.

Maybe I’m wrong but I was just surprised no one else commented on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm 

I believe that the local councilor would still do a decent job for Milton.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:45 pm 

miltonbeny wrote:
I guess I have different expectations from a local and regional councilor earning far more than he would earn in the private sector than the accounts payable clerk you hired that is looking for $18 an hour. I don’t want him to quit, but he should be held accountable for his gutless posturing. This benefits nobody but himself and when you’re in a public office and your create an identity of fairness for Milton and rejecting salary increases because you feel it’s right thing to do but then are willing to collect a paycheck from Milton tax payers to campaign full time for another job is the same as stealing.

He is my councilor and I have voted for him in the past but if he gets nominated he will be fully committed to campaigning and abounding his responsibilities to the community. We have plenty of grassroots issues that need attention and I never thought he was just another wannabe career politician.

Maybe I’m wrong but I was just surprised no one else commented on it.

Are you tony lambert? You sound like tony lambert. Total paranoid conjecture with big words used incorrectly and incomplete thoughts are a trademark of tony lambert. I hope you are tony lambert. I miss tony lambert. This forum needs another tony lambert.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park