HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:36 am 

i've had great experiences with car star in oakville off of trafalgar road and the qew. great work and they don't take any short cuts.
the one in mississauga on argentia is meh/ok. haven't been to the one in milton though.

don't take your care somewhere you don't trust. but do work with your insurance company. you are paying them after all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:36 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
If you're in a collision (hopefully never), you don't have to go with the first unsympathetic vulture who drives up your way. You can call your CAA or better yet, call your insurance company and they can dispatch a tow truck. You can also have the car taken to your shop of choice, and don't sign anything if things aren't clear to you.

That said, I have a Q: Has anyone ever been confronted by one of these shady tow truck guys, and they told you they *have* to tow you off because you're blocking the road? How did you handle it?

Also, police officers are buddy-buddy with a lot of tow truck drivers. One of my officer friends told me this. An officer who gets called to a scene will also call his preferred buddy to get on scene, so it's one fascinating industry filled with kick-backs, and I pray to the Heavens I never get involved in a collision on a major road.

justagirl wrote:
Insurance is paying I would get it towed to the dealership of the make of your car. The dealership has shoppes and they deal with your type of car. You will get the correct parts cause they made your car and I am sure they deal with insurance on a daily basis.

I did in fact get into accident and I took my car to the dealership, they repaired the damage and I had no problems with my insurance. Everything was taken care of and done for me, it really was a hassle free experience.

Very few dealerships own a body shop or have an on-site body repair business arm. The majority sublet your car out to a local shop that does the work for them. Most times, it's good work, but it's not like taking your car to the dealership means you get "factory-approved repairs."

The whole chain is full of kick-backs.

The cop knows the tow-truck driver.
The cop carelessly hands out charges.
The tow truck driver knows the shady criminal/traffic lawyer.
And shady criminal/traffic lawyer knows the cop.

Yeah going to the dealership for body-work is a good way to involve a middleman who overs 0 value to the entire process. They aren't doing anything to your car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:47 am 

I've worked with dealers before. Only some dealerships have a good body shop. Many are crap. It's a myth that dealerships do the best collision repairs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 am 

So I was in an accident a few weeks ago, that left my car a "total loss". I mean, not a fun time, but gave me some insight into the insurance process.

I let the first tow that arrived take my car (after the OPP assessed since it was on the 401 - cool chick, didn't lay charges, and just wanted to get the cars off the road). 3 tow trucks showed up for the 3 cars, and they were all decent guys. They towed it to the Milton reporting centre. They then towed it to the whatever the hell shop they felt like. I was pretty shocked, so I didn't care at the time or think to ask the insurance co first. My insurance co (TD Meloche Monnex) got things moving quickly. They said if the car was repairable, they would transport it to their preferred vendor if I was ok with that. The benefit of this is that TD would guarantee the work. But if I wanted to move it to my own mechanic that wasn't a preferred vendor, that was fine too. You just have to work with your adjuster/appraiser to get it moved and agree on the cost of the repair.

Since my car was quickly written-off, I just had to collect my plates, sign some forms, and TD picked it up for scrap.

Since I'm on a tangent about insurance now, I highly recommend looking at adding the "43 endorsement" to your auto policies if you buy a brand new car. It covers the FULL replacement cost of your car, not just the current value. I totaled my 2013 Buick, and got a 2017, and all I had to pay was licensing. Caveat - that coverage is expensive. But it just saved me a WHOLE lot of money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 am 

If the Lyons guys show up to tow you, tell them to get lost. That place is DICEY. Before you've agreed to anything they will have your car ripped apart and pressure you into using them.

I like Abrams towing myself. Good guys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm 

If you are willing to drive 15 mins north, Arnies body shop in Norval is great. Solid old school guy, small business and doesn't screw around. He also likes beer, so that can sweeten the deal!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 pm 

I've heard great things about Arnies. Never met the guy but good rep.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm 

DRiFT_645 wrote:
I've heard great things about Arnies. Never met the guy but good rep.

Only sh*t thing for you folks is his distance from Milton. Had him do a few things for me over the last couple of years. Competitively priced, great work, good turnaround time and the dudes that sit in his shop all the time (I think its a local hang out) have some funny stories. Brought in a 12pk last time I was there and tipped a few with them, good times.

And while there, take the time to appreciate how a properly managed town looks and operates by heading up 7 into Georgetown.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:
If you are willing to drive 15 mins north, Arnies body shop in Norval is great. Solid old school guy, small business and doesn't screw around. He also likes beer, so that can sweeten the deal!

Oh, I love that part of town, and it's easy to please some people with beer and cigarettes. Does he specialize in domestics or vintage cars, or can he do modern Japanese well too?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm 

JLB wrote:
So I was in an accident a few weeks ago, that left my car a "total loss". I mean, not a fun time, but gave me some insight into the insurance process.

I let the first tow that arrived take my car (after the OPP assessed since it was on the 401 - cool chick, didn't lay charges, and just wanted to get the cars off the road). 3 tow trucks showed up for the 3 cars, and they were all decent guys. They towed it to the Milton reporting centre. They then towed it to the whatever the hell shop they felt like. I was pretty shocked, so I didn't care at the time or think to ask the insurance co first. My insurance co (TD Meloche Monnex) got things moving quickly. They said if the car was repairable, they would transport it to their preferred vendor if I was ok with that. The benefit of this is that TD would guarantee the work. But if I wanted to move it to my own mechanic that wasn't a preferred vendor, that was fine too. You just have to work with your adjuster/appraiser to get it moved and agree on the cost of the repair.

Since my car was quickly written-off, I just had to collect my plates, sign some forms, and TD picked it up for scrap.

Since I'm on a tangent about insurance now, I highly recommend looking at adding the "43 endorsement" to your auto policies if you buy a brand new car. It covers the FULL replacement cost of your car, not just the current value. I totaled my 2013 Buick, and got a 2017, and all I had to pay was licensing. Caveat - that coverage is expensive. But it just saved me a WHOLE lot of money.

I ended up adding the same thing to my policy as well after my older car got written off this summer. Some guy who was texting hit me full on when I was at a complete stop in a traffic jam. Demolished the entire back end of my car and the crumples in the car extended nearly to the front doors. Because I had stopped with a safe distance to the person in front of me, I was able to steer the car onto the shoulder when he launched me forward and save the other people from getting smashed in front of me. Lots of witnesses stopped to see if I was okay, and cop charged the other guy with careless. That is such a scary situation to be in. T

The insurance company was more than fair about the valuation of my car (also TD Meloche Monnex).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:52 pm 

I've been using Carstar/Aro Motors in Burlington for the last 10 yrs...came recommend by a friend that is an insurance underwriter...never had an issue...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:28 pm 

Hodor wrote:
If the Lyons guys show up to tow you, tell them to get lost. That place is DICEY. Before you've agreed to anything they will have your car ripped apart and pressure you into using them.

I like Abrams towing myself. Good guys.

Can't agree enough. Stay away from them at all cost. This is Lyons body shop in Mississauga, not Johnny Lyons of Lyons Auto Repair in Milton.

I had a very bad experience with Lyons body shop in Mississauga. They will keep your car for ransom and blackmail you and the insurance for as much as they can in storage fees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 am 

nspace wrote:
The insurance company was more than fair about the valuation of my car (also TD Meloche Monnex).

Ditto

We had a vehicle that was on its last legs and ready to buy a new one
We had checked everywhere, online, dealer trades, other comparable vehicles so knew exactly what we would get and how much work from where

Then some kid turned left on red and car being old was total write off since repairs were more than value
Insurance didn't go up and I got alot more for the old vehicle than I would have gotten if I sold/traded/gave it away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:05 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
nspace wrote:

Ditto

We had checked everywhere, online, dealer trades, other comparable vehicles so knew exactly what we would get and how much work from where

Then some kid turned left on red and car being old was total write off since repairs were more than value
Insurance didn't go up and I got alot more for the old vehicle than I would have gotten if I sold/traded/gave it away

Others also have told me the same, you tend to get a higher payout than the market value suggests.

Can you provide the year and type of car that was totaled, the year it was totaled and how much the insurance company payout was?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:42 pm 

Carl wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:
nspace wrote:

Ditto

Others also have told me the same, you tend to get a higher payout than the market value suggests.

Can you provide the year and type of car that was totaled, the year it was totaled and how much the insurance company payout was?

WHAT! Why would you want this information???