HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:52 am 

Any of you had any issues with sump pump running continuously - non stop?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 am 

Do you mean the pit is dry and the pump is sucking air 24/7 for a whole year?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 am 

B&T402 wrote:
Do you mean the pit is dry and the pump is sucking air 24/7 for a whole year?

Its not completely dry but there is about 2 inches of water and it has been running continuously for about 1.5 days. Working with the builder to check it out but apparently its not a high priority item for them

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 am 

Sounds like your float is stuck, or your switch has failed. I would unplug it right now til you get it sorted.

In the mean time, a little light reading:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=milton+f ... jwTw4K-gDQ

Here's more!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c2w1Bwg5RvU

Last edited by B&T402 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 am 

B&T402 wrote:
Sounds like your float is stuck, or your switch has failed. I would unplug it right now til you get it sorted.

In the mean time, a little light reading:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=milton+f ... jwTw4K-gDQ

You could add this also to your light reading....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68188&p=548423&hilit=sump+pump#p548423

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67784&p=545823&hilit=sump+pump#p545823

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65085&p=533679&hilit=sump+pump#p533679

Delayed Closing date April 18, 2017
Moved in date May 18, 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 am 

newhome wrote:
Any of you had any issues with sump pump running continuously - non stop?

Yes, on your street there are many busy sumps. Some of which can be improved or repaired and others will just be busy sumps.

Some sumps in a neighborhood will never run, others will run after a rain or snow-melt, and an unfortunate few will run constantly and likely need a back-up system.

You could have any number of issues that will cause a sump to run often, including but not limited to - your home is lower in the ground than others, a leaky municipal water line feeding your sump, poor lot grading, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:46 am 

They checked out it and there was a layer of dirt which they removed/cleaned and the pump is working fine now. But there is a part that is bad which they have ordered it and they will install it once received. I wasnt home and I am not sure what part would work without a layer of dirt and breaks down once there is dirt accumulated at the base of the pump. Maybe floater switch.

I am also wondering where did that dirt come from?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:16 pm 

Our terra-formed lots are backfilled with clay, right down to the footings, so any mud you see is clay silt. It comes in steadily, extremely fine particles suspended in the water that accumulates in the pit. It falls to the bottom and stays there untill you clear it out every so often. I've cleared mine out twice over 5 years, most recently when I ditched the builder's item and put in a submersible pump, 2015. I've got the pump sitting on a penny paver just to give it a bit more leeway as silt accumulates down there.

How much are we talking here? If it was just a half inch or so, that should not have been a problem for any pump even the basic builder's jobs. In a one YO home, if you had a massive dump of clay in there, that's builder negligence, and should never have been handed over to you that way. That could mung your pump up, but that should not have caused it to run steadily (I took you literally). But since this seems to have been a sudden onset problem it was probably your float switch kakked out, or your float ball hung up somehow. Clay down there wouldn't do that, seems like a coincidence, sez me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 am 

newhome wrote:
They checked out it and there was a layer of dirt which they removed/cleaned and the pump is working fine now.

It's hard to tell from your original post whether you just have a busy sump that pumps water a number of times a day or whether the pump has for some reason started to run constantly without shutting off.

But, if it is the second scenario where the pump is running constantly whether there is water or not then the removal of dirt from the sump pit likely had nothing to do with your sump running constantly. In this case then it is much more likely that the sump pump was not set up properly and that the float that controls the pump ended up stuck in the ON position causing the pump to run constantly. This is definitely a problem because pumps left running for extended periods of time with no water to pump can overheat. If you google - halton sump fires - you will see that this can be a real problem.

Mattamy often likes to make up weird excuses when things go wrong. In your case they implied that by them removing some dirt from the pit that they fixed the problem but in reality it was a poorly set up pump that caused the problem. It's better now because they repaired the faulty installation, not because dirt was removed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
newhome wrote:
They checked out it and there was a layer of dirt which they removed/cleaned and the pump is working fine now.

Quote:
It's hard to tell from your original post whether you just have a busy sump that pumps water a number of times a day or whether the pump has for some reason started to run constantly without shutting off

I think i was pretty clear with the symptoms - it was running continuously, non-stop, without cycling, without breaks, continouly trying to push the water out to the exterior.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 am 

UPDATE - SOLVED [I Think]

I had extended the discharge pipe by installing an extension pipe available at home depot specifically for sump pumps. These extensions are good and work just fine in terms of discharging water away from the foundation when it is not freezing weather.

What happened was that the water froze in the extension pipe when during cold temperature and it had no where to go. I removed the extension pipe and it has worked just fine since then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm 

newhome wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
newhome wrote:

Quote:
It's hard to tell from your original post whether you just have a busy sump that pumps water a number of times a day or whether the pump has for some reason started to run constantly without shutting off

I think i was pretty clear with the symptoms - it was running continuously, non-stop, without cycling, without breaks, continouly trying to push the water out to the exterior.

Well, "running continuously" could mean any number of things :? but the added "non stop" you added just now helps. Anyways, the good news is that for now it is working properly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

Quote:
Well, "running continuously" could mean any number of things :? but the added "non stop" you added just now helps. Anyways, the good news is that for now it is working properly.

Well, I am not sure what you are talking about. There are no edits to my original first post. The 'non-stop' was there from the very beginning. Even your post from "Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 am" that quoted my 1st post has the 'non-stop' word in there. So i am a little confused right now.

'Running Continuously' mean only one thing - to me at least

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

Whatever :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:46 pm 

I think we need Carl to weigh in on this.