HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Daycare
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am 

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a house in the Milton area around Britannia and regional road 25. I have found on that I really like and am confident I can potentially get it.

I have a couple of concerns being new to Milton and am wondering if anyone can share some light.

How is the daycare situation in Milton. Is it hard to find day care?
How is the Montessori situation in Milton. Is it hard to find a good Montessori school?

We found it very hard to get both in Mississauga. We had to register for September Montessori now. And day care we had to beg and plead to get in for mid-april. Just to shed some light we have a 10 month old, and my wife will be going back to work in April and that cannot be extended.

Thanks for your help.

Milton Newbie

Post subject: Re: Daycare
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:03 pm 

Depends what kind of daycare you're looking for.

Home daycare it's actually pretty easy to find good people, surprisingly enough. Facebook group called Milton Home Daycare or something was useful for this.

Daycare centres if that's what you're after are a little tougher - you need to get on a wait list, and starting "mid season" is a little tricky. I'd get going on the wait lists today if I were you.

Montessori I have no idea because that to me is just a waste of money. These are 1-3 year olds, and what they're "taught" today isn't going to make them a rocket surgeon in 18 years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:24 pm 

Our kids went to the Montessori School of Milton and we have nothing but good things to say about the place. It was a great start for the kids and the management team there is kind and fair - they don't do stupid things like charge you for being late for 5 minutes or whatever.

In terms of cost, daycare and montessori were about the same cost for what we need, so we figured we'd give them some learning versus 100% play time all the time.

Unlike what Hodor may think, we can definitely see a difference in our kids ability to pick up concepts, etc quickly and without relative difficulty. From grade 1 on wards, we've had them in public school and they are now in grade 4 and 2.

We saw a definite difference in our kids versus those who did not do a learning based program. My wife volunteered early on to help with reading assessments in grade 1 and saw the difference in the kids that did have a learning type start versus play only.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm 

so.... deep, you believe there is "montessori" and then "daycare" which is "100% play time all the time" and "play only" and not a "learning based program".

okay, so you really seem like you have no idea what you are talking about. you might have an idea about the montessori school you sent your kids to, but you don't seem to know much of anything about the other child care options that are out there for families in milton, based on what you've written above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm 

dillon wrote:
so.... deep, you believe there is "Montessori" and then "daycare" which is "100% play time all the time" and "play only" and not a "learning based program".

okay, so you really seem like you have no idea what you are talking about. you might have an idea about the Montessori school you sent your kids to, but you don't seem to know much of anything about the other child care options that are out there for families in Milton, based on what you've written above.

We looked at several places and found that there were day care centers that were better than others, in that they offered learning and growth potential. There were also day cares and home day cares, which are in the same category, which didn't. I preferred to send my kids to a more structured environment.

Believe what you will about what I know and what I don't know, I don't really care to be honest. Seems like I hit a nerve with you, so perhaps you opted to send your kids to day care or run a home day care and believe I've insulted you for doing so - that wasn't the intention and apologies if the perception was such.

It was about as insulting as Hodor suggesting that going to Montessori didn't make a difference down the road ;-) *Tongue in cheek*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:31 pm 

You didn't hit any nerve at all, my kids go/went to a peekaboo child care and I've been very happy with all aspects. I don't have anything negative to say about Montessori, I just think it's silly to look at your options as either Montessori or basically "everything else". You can't just lump everything that isn't Montessori into one big category and think they're all the same. But I've seen that from Montessori people before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm 

if all else same, I would also send my kids to Montessori like 'Deep' mentioned as it is a structured environment.

I am not sure why one would get mad or offended for taking this view.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:47 pm 

Oh man, look - it's not about being mad or offended. If being a fan of Montessori means you think that all other child care options are a) the same, and b) all play and non-educational, then you are just plain ignorant. Does this mean I think Montessori schools are bad choices ? Are inferior? No not at all! Im sure the Montessori school or schools you guys sent your kids to are great, maybe the best in town. Or maybe not, I don't know. But if you can't see the logic and rational thinking behind what I am saying, then you have some reading comprehension issues yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 am 

Deep wrote:
Our kids went to the Montessori School of Milton and we have nothing but good things to say about the place. It was a great start for the kids and the management team there is kind and fair - they don't do stupid things like charge you for being late for 5 minutes or whatever.

In terms of cost, daycare and montessori were about the same cost for what we need, so we figured we'd give them some learning versus 100% play time all the time.

Unlike what Hodor may think, we can definitely see a difference in our kids ability to pick up concepts, etc quickly and without relative difficulty. From grade 1 on wards, we've had them in public school and they are now in grade 4 and 2.

We saw a definite difference in our kids versus those who did not do a learning based program. My wife volunteered early on to help with reading assessments in grade 1 and saw the difference in the kids that did have a learning type start versus play only.

Where is this 100% play time all the time? We plan to send our kids for play time only and very little learning.. In my opinion kids needs be kids not little Bill Gates....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 am 

Some kids can't handle a lot of fun during the day because their parents aren't smart enough to teach them stuff at home, or are just too busy watching TV.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 am 

Guys and gals,

This is not meant to become a childcare argument. Some people like myself who have seen kids that go to Montessori and daycare have found that kids who have gone to the first are more advanced for their age. This is completely subjective from seeing my own nieces and nephews.

This does not mean they will be smarter that the kids who went to daycare. This also does not mean that all daycare or Montessori schools produce the same results. Some Montessori claim to be Montessori but do not follow half the practices. Some day cares pick and choose aspects of the Montessori program to use in their curriculum.

Put your child wherever you feel they would get the most out of, and what you are happy with in terms of curriculum, location, center, fees, nutrition, etc.... All this back and forth is just white noise. There are a lot of variables that determine these decisions and none of them may even matter in how your kid turns out.

Now, take a deep breath... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am 

MrPlough wrote:
Guys and gals,

This is not meant to become a childcare argument. Some people like myself who have seen kids that go to Montessori and daycare have found that kids who have gone to the first are more advanced for their age.

Anecdotal and not always true, which then has zero bearing on future success...

MrPlough wrote:
There are a lot of variables that determine these decisions and none of them may even matter in how your kid turns out.

They don't. Turns out that JK and SK at public school is pretty much just your montessori structure. Dunno when they started this, but it sure as sh*t is happening now.

It's daycare. If we really cared, we'd take a few years off work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hodor wrote:
They don't. Turns out that JK and SK at public school is pretty much just your montessori structure. Dunno when they started this, but it sure as sh*t is happening now.

Not even close. Public JK/SK is far more play based than structured.
Most teachers question the value of Montessori learning, and most Montessori schools say their graduates do better than kids left in public system.

The Montessori school up on Tremaine is quite good but they are by far the worst at responding to new parents since the school seems to sell itself.
The Oakville Montessori school is not as good imo (its all indoor play due to location) but is really quite cheap in comparison if money is an issue to parents.
The Waldorf school over on Guelph Ln is one of the best I saw if looking for alternative education.

Daycares vary quite a bit in terms of what they offer, so parents need to know what they are looking for.
I am totally against home daycares since most have no real educational side or structure. No matter how nice the provider is, think about common sense things (such as what happens to the kids when provider needs to cook or even leave kids alone to use washroom during the day).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:22 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Not even close. Public JK/SK is far more play based than structured.
Most teachers question the value of Montessori learning, and most Montessori schools say their graduates do better than kids left in public system.

The Montessori school up on Tremaine is quite good but they are by far the worst at responding to new parents since the school seems to sell itself.
The Oakville Montessori school is not as good imo (its all indoor play due to location) but is really quite cheap in comparison if money is an issue to parents.
The Waldorf school over on Guelph Ln is one of the best I saw if looking for alternative education.

Daycares vary quite a bit in terms of what they offer, so parents need to know what they are looking for.
I am totally against home daycares since most have no real educational side or structure. No matter how nice the provider is, think about common sense things (such as what happens to the kids when provider needs to cook or even leave kids alone to use washroom during the day).

I sit corrected then. I just googled WTF is montessori anyway and everything it described was like my kid's kindergarten class. I'll just go back to not buying this need to teach actual sh*t to 1-3 year olds. If the parents are smart, the kid will be smart. If the parents are morans, then the kid's screwed no matter what special super-smart daycare is cleaning their poopy diapers.

Just pick a daycare that doesn't give you the creeps and won't fill them full of sugar every day and you're golden. Bonus if they go outside a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 am 

Hodor wrote:
MrPlough wrote:
Guys and gals,

This is not meant to become a childcare argument. Some people like myself who have seen kids that go to Montessori and daycare have found that kids who have gone to the first are more advanced for their age.

Anecdotal and not always true, which then has zero bearing on future success...

MrPlough wrote:
There are a lot of variables that determine these decisions and none of them may even matter in how your kid turns out.

It's daycare. If we really cared, we'd take a few years off work.

Really....stop trolling...

First, it is easy to say it's anecdotal when you conveniently drop out my last sentence clearly stating that my observations were subjective.

Two, not everyone has the means to take a couple of years off to be with our kids during these first couple of years of their lives.

Three, throughout history there have been brilliant individuals who have come from humble beginnings and parents who did not have the same intellectual strengths as their children. This just shows how ignorant you really are.

Four, it's a rocket scientist or aeronautical engineer; not a rocket surgeon. Great imagination though.

Five, it's moron not moran. Perhaps you do not believe in spellcheck either.

Six, go high jack and troll some other thread. We, the "montessori people" can then have a meaningful discussion without your constant derailing idiocy.