HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:23 pm 

I see a lot of cars with no rear lights at night. I'm thinking cars built in at least the last ten yrs have auto lights. Do ppl not know this? My wife's 04 Mazda had auto lights, put on auto the day it was brought home and stayed that way till we sold it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 pm 

Many new "Asian Cars " have DRL on always but not rear tail lights. The instruments cluster lights up at night as well giving " New Drivers" and there are many of them out there false sensation that their headlights are on . Only German cars that I am aware of have DRL and rear tail lights come on all the time but the Germans figured it out and unless you do turn on your head light to 'On" the instrument cluster will always be dark . That makes more sense .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 pm 

Nissan Air wrote:
Many new "Asian Cars " have DRL on always but not rear tail lights. The instruments cluster lights up at night as well giving " New Drivers" and there are many of them out there false sensation that their headlights are on . Only German cars that I am aware of have DRL and rear tail lights come on all the time but the Germans figured it out and unless you do turn on your head light to 'On" the instrument cluster will always be dark . That makes more sense .
I understand what you are saying about DRL and the false sensation but I'm talking about the "Auto Lights" setting that most cars have. Set to "Auto" when it starts to get dark the sensor will turn on all your night time lights and when you turn off the car the timer will turn all lights off.

It just seems ppl don't know they have this feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:11 am 

Why aren't lights just 'always on?'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:14 am 

Most drivers are clueless with cars, often to they point that they wont even notice anything strange when their view isnt illuminated very well at night, and this obliviousness annoys me too (especially when pitch black or in fog, or in heavy rain).

I don't know of any German cars that have daytime running taillights (DRTs), but of all the complex dummy-proof features in cars today like back up cams and blind spot monitors, Im not sure why no OEM has picked the low hanging fruit yet and built in DRTs. Even that curmudgeon Jim Kenzie hates this.

One thing some good technicians and dealers do is they set the switch to auto after finishing servicing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 am 

That's why I actually turn on my lights now right when I start driving (day or night) so I have full headlights and not dimmed DRL and I also get tail lights always on. Interior lights still go on and dependent on ambient lighting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:53 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Why aren't lights just 'always on?'

Nova Scotia is only province where this is law

The Yankees claim DRLs cause glare, reduce fuel economy, and make it harder to see cyclists/pedestrians

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:34 am 

I've used "auto" exclusively on my last 4 cars but have been caught out after taking them in for any kind of service. They generally turn them off and as I'm used to not having to turn them on, blink blink......