HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Air conditioner warranty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 am 

So looks like my AC unit just went out. Looks like the evaporator coil needs replacing. Unit was installed in 2010 and calling up carrier they mentioned that since I registered the ac unit I get 10 year warranty. However when dealing with the parts distributer they mentioned that the evaporator coil is only covered for 5 years and needed to be registered seperatly. Going to confirm again with carrier if this is the case but if so that is a kick in the gut.
Looks I'll have to foot the bill for the part, unless anyone here has any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm 

What makes you think it's the evaporator coil that needs replacing? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm 

Try to find an HVAC guy to help you deal with Carrier directly at the wholesale level. That's what I do and it works the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:59 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
What makes you think it's the evaporator coil that needs replacing? Just curious.

Had an AC guy come in and check.
AC was leaking refrigerant so guy came in and put a dye. Came back later and told was leaking through evaporator coil.

If I try and find an HVAC guy who works at wholesale level it'll mean I'll have to pay the new guy a show up fee to check again plus labor and parts. May need up being the same cost in the end?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:54 pm 

What is the cost of the evaporator coil that the technician mentioned? Is it around $900?

May be press Carrier for answers to the 10 year warranty and you might be compensated by Carrier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm 

Carl wrote:
What is the cost of the evaporator coil that the technician mentioned? Is it around $900?

May be press Carrier for answers to the 10 year warranty and you might be compensated by Carrier.

It'll be $500ish for coil. Carrier said I had to register the coil seperately so it's only covered under 5 years. Not an expert but pretty dumb I would need to register it seperately as it should be included with the registration of the unit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:58 pm 

if it is explicitly mentioned that you have register for the coil separately, then you are out of luck I presume. If not I will still go back to Carrier. Well most would not have heard about registering for the coil separately.