HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:
I'm confused. Aren't you contradicting yourself? You're saying Toronto pays more taxes but you've just shown they pay $600 less on a million dollar home?

To repeat the very sentence you quoted:
"People in Toronto pay way more taxes, it is the percent they pay is a bit lower. Value of land in Toronto way higher than Milton."
Same size home with same features and same relative age has a much higher base price there than here, hence they pay more taxes.

If you work back the numbers I quoted above, to break even a 1.00 million dollar home in the Milton market would need to be equivalent to a 1.09 million dollar home in the Toronto market (which we know is nowhere near reality; a million dollar home in Milton is a 40' lot, in Toronto it is a townhouse).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:56 am 

You'd need to look at the MPAC assessments to be able to make any factual statements on this topic. And don't forget regional taxes as well. Aaaannnd might as well include the extra "welcome to Toronto" tax you'd pay when buying a home there too.

Man we pay a lot of taxes in this country... let's get back on topic and tell our councillors who think we're cool with paying more to go climb a tree. Hopefully a dead ash tree.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am 

Looks like tax rates went down from 2016, however, property assessment values went up...
By the way, Toronto has a lower tax rate...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am 

Hodor wrote:
You'd need to look at the MPAC assessments to be able to make any factual statements on this topic. And don't forget regional taxes as well. Aaaannnd might as well include the extra "welcome to Toronto" tax you'd pay when buying a home there too.

Man we pay a lot of taxes in this country... let's get back on topic and tell our councillors who think we're cool with paying more to go climb a tree. Hopefully a dead ash tree.

I just checked and Toronto Tax was dropped in 2013. Is here any other property taxes we pay for municipal services in Toronto?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm 

IMO raising Milton municipal taxes double the rate of inflation last year and this year is only done to personally serve to benefit the 6 counselors who voted for the increases. IMO they want to pick all of our pockets for their own personal gain.

5 other counselors including the mayor did not vote for these insane increases that do not serve to benefit the town.

In other words it was 6 for crazy personal gain and 5, including the mayor looking out for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
IMO they want to pick all of our pockets for their own personal gain.

What is the personal gain they're getting?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
IMO they want to pick all of our pockets for their own personal gain.

What is the personal gain they're getting?

From what I heard from one of the towns foremost authorities on these matters is that these misguided counsellors seem to have their own little pet projects that of course when money is thrown at it then they get the credit. Normal politics.

The town is fine thank you. No, we don't have everything but who does.

Fact is that unlike almost every other large town / small city in Canada, more than half of our town has new infrastructure that does not require high cost to maintain / repair. We should be riding on easy street, not burdened with 6 out of control high spending counsellors.

I will just say this one more time - Taxes can not go up higher than the rate of inflation. It is not a sustainable or sensible path for our town to take.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

Andy, what about all the yrs the Mayor held the tax at zero increase or less than the rate of inflation. I'm thinking he did that not b/c we didn't need the money but to insure his re-election. Are all those possible tax increase yrs now lost b/c it's not acceptable to raise taxes more than the rate of inflation. Who are the real losers in this tax game....us.

I don't believe council decides on their own what to spend money on, staff make a list of what they feel is needed and council yea or nays it based on how much money the town can reasonably spend. It's more a prioritizing thing based on staff recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
Andy, what about all the yrs the Mayor held the tax at zero increase or less than the rate of inflation. I'm thinking he did that not b/c we didn't need the money but to insure his re-election. Are all those possible tax increase yrs now lost b/c it's not acceptable to raise taxes more than the rate of inflation. Who are the real losers in this tax game....us.

I don't believe council decides on their own what to spend money on, staff make a list of what they feel is needed and council yea or nays it based on how much money the town can reasonably spend. It's more a prioritizing thing based on staff recommendations.

If that's the case then the council held tax to zero, not the mayor.

The Mayor voted against last years double rate of inflation increase.

The Mayor will vote against this years ridiculous tax increase.

The town staff always recommends we do more than we can afford. It's not the councils job to roll over like sheep and let everything pass. It is their job to prioritize.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:34 pm 

I don't think the Mayor has ever voted for a tax increase and you know there is a lot of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" going on constantly with council. You side with the Mayor on one thing and he owes you and visa-versa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm 

Taxed enough already. Definitely against tax increases especially at higher rate than the rate of inflation. I will voice my opinion to my friends, neighbors, and every miltonians. The incompetent politician should step down!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 pm 

Funny how many people who cry about raising city taxes are cool with voting Liberal

Could be worse, you see what the people in Calgary got for their hard earned tax dollars?
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... da-highway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:25 am 

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story ... lities-hr/

This article above just explains so much. Just think, compared to a town of comparable size, Milton has about 16000 less work hours a month to run things. That kind of shortfall can't be made up by just "working harder." But hey.. "it's the Milton way."

Personally I'm more than happy to pay my share to live in an awesome town laden with services and beauty. Sadly I'm in a very small minority.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 am 

martin prince wrote:
https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7493751-town-of-milton-losing-staff-to-other-municipalities-hr/

This article above just explains so much. Just think, compared to a town of comparable size, Milton has about 16000 less work hours a month to run things. That kind of shortfall can't be made up by just "working harder." But hey.. "it's the Milton way."

Personally I'm more than happy to pay my share to live in an awesome town laden with services and beauty. Sadly I'm in a very small minority.

:arrow: I'm sure you can throw them an extra grand or two that they'll gladly spend appropriately.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 am 

martin prince wrote:

The article itself sounds quite laughable
Most people equate city jobs to paid vacations since there is usually no work going on
Only place worse would be Club Fed

"Working harder" at a city mean what, 6.5 hours a day as opposed to 4 in another more cushy city?
Hey we have councillors on this board; how many man hours do you guys put in usually?

Despite the "huge" turnover, only 1 full time job posted on their website*
https://careers.milton.ca/job/search

Honestly to me it seems Town of Milton has a failing grade in most departments
What exactly are they doing that is so tough?
https://www.milton.ca/en/townhall/departments.asp
Publishing the community service guides?
Planning for diversity?
Develop new parks?
Weed control? (lol it is actually listed!)
Attract business?

*edit - Actually after reviewing jobs, most of those posted pay min wage or below new levels, so maybe tax raise is to increase pay bands for min wage once new min becomes standerd