HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 am 

Would anybody be able to comment on the making waves swimming lessons vs the town offered one?

I had/ have my son in the town lessons and he's doing ok but progressing slowly. Feeling if he was at smaller class, he'd do better but not sure if the extra cost is justified.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 am 

I can't comment on the town lessons, but we've been very happy with our little dude's progress at Making Waves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 am 

Done both, Making Waves is 100% the way to go if you can stomach the cost.

Progression is mostly dependent on your child's willingness to learn and physical ability though. Just getting them in the water on a regular basis is what's important.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm 

I have only had the kids in the town lessons, and they have done extremely well. But im sure if it is smaller class they may get better quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 pm 

Making waves is good. No complaints from us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 am 

Hodor wrote:
Done both, Making Waves is 100% the way to go if you can stomach the cost.

Progression is mostly dependent on your child's willingness to learn and physical ability though. Just getting them in the water on a regular basis is what's important.

Agreed, Done both. My daughter was in the town lessons for three modules and she didnt make as much progress as Making Waves. Plus Making Waves worked on technique that made decent improvements in her overall swimming and is making her a more confident swimmer. The big difference of cost can be justified by the time saved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm 

Did both and honestly I prefer the town. I haven't been to making waves in probably 4-5 years so maybe the information is dated, but the cost is crazy and its a pain that they use different levels so going back and forth isn't easy. We found it much easier to schedule the town because you sign up basically twice a year and if you are early, you get your spot. We also send our kids to the Splash Camp during the summer for a few weeks and they progress really nicely in that camp, usually moving up a level per 2 weeks at camp.

My daughter, now 10 is a very strong swimmer and currently doing Lifesaving Ranger at the town. Son is at splash camp this week and moving up himself. I will say sometimes the staff they have are amazing and sometimes it is a bit of a bust but most of the time they are awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm 

Making waves is better, but good luck getting in. We've tried registering our son 3 years in a row and no luck. They give first dibs to existing clients. We've seen the instructors at both and its much more one on one and better focus with making waves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am 

As mentioned if you can stomach the cost (about triple what town lessons cost) Making Waves is a lot better but after a session or two you can probably switch over to the town lessons once your kid is comfortable in the water, they do a pretty good job overall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Well, at three times the cost this place better be much better than the town.

IMO the town is fine. Every kid needs to learn to swim. I would rather send any kid for 3 courses for the price of one. This gives the kids 3 times more time in the pool and around water for the same money, especially if you want the kid(s) to take multiple levels. I can't imagine any kid growing up in Canada without knowing how to swim. That's not to say that strong swimmers don't drown once in a while but more weak swimmers drown.

One of my daughters became a lifeguard through the town and for her first summer worked for the town. She only spent one summer with them because they were so messed up with scheduling. :? Very disappointed with the town actually. Working for the town around the pools at that time was a complete joke. Maybe it's better now.

Most of the time when someone drowns, they don't thrash around yelling and screaming. They simply slip silently under the water and are unable to surface.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
I would rather send any kid for 3 courses for the price of one. This gives the kids 3 times more time in the pool and around water for the same money, especially if you want the kid(s) to take multiple levels.

When my wife and I looked for swimming lessons for our daughter we were initially put off by Making Waves prices, what convinced us were the class sizes. The lessons at both pools (when we looked into it) were 30 minutes each, Making Waves classes are 3 to 1 and the Town classes were up to 8 to 1. So, Making Waves has 3 kids per class which makes for roughly 10 minutes per kid in the water. The Town had up to 8 kids per class which made for roughly 4 minutes per kid in the water. So.. after paying for the Town class 3 times you don't really have 3 times the pool time. Maybe the Town lesson sizes have changed in the last few years to make the ratio better, but this is where it was when we first looked into it.

The quality of the staff at Making Waves has been great. My daughter has been there for a little over 5 years (she's 6 now) and in all that time she's only had one instructor I wasn't happy with. The have a head instructor who will move from group to group and keep an eye on things and will work individually with kids if they're having troubles with something.

In my mind, the extra cost is well worth it and I'd recommend Making Waves every time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 am 

gclark wrote:

When my wife and I looked for swimming lessons for our daughter we were initially put off by Making Waves prices, what convinced us were the class sizes. The lessons at both pools (when we looked into it) were 30 minutes each, Making Waves classes are 3 to 1 and the Town classes were up to 8 to 1. So, Making Waves has 3 kids per class which makes for roughly 10 minutes per kid in the water. The Town had up to 8 kids per class which made for roughly 4 minutes per kid in the water. So.. after paying for the Town class 3 times you don't really have 3 times the pool time. Maybe the Town lesson sizes have changed in the last few years to make the ratio better, but this is where it was when we first looked into it.

The quality of the staff at Making Waves has been great. My daughter has been there for a little over 5 years (she's 6 now) and in all that time she's only had one instructor I wasn't happy with. The have a head instructor who will move from group to group and keep an eye on things and will work individually with kids if they're having troubles with something.

In my mind, the extra cost is well worth it and I'd recommend Making Waves every time.

As long as all kids learn how to swim then I don't care where they go. We have a pool so our daughters started swimming before they could walk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am 

I just read a book called The Art of the Humblebrag by Home Inspector. It was great, highly recommend it. Full of winning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am 

Hodor wrote:
I just read a book called The Art of the Humblebrag by Home Inspector. It was great, highly recommend it. Full of winning.

Oh. Poor Hodor. Upset that I said I have a pool. :mrgreen:

And I guess that book was a quick read :roll:

This is a swimming topic after all.

:idea: - If you have a pool. Don't tell Hodor.