HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 am 

For many years now and right up to now - most new homes in Milton come with HRV's.

For a few years I wondered about whether or not HRV's were the best choice for a ventilation system for our cold dry winters and warm humid summers because the other option, ERV's, have less limitations. But a year or more ago I came to the conclusion, that for our climate ERV's are better. Don't get me wrong. HRV's are better than nothing, but in our climate, the writing is on the wall and the HRV/ERV map has changed.

Generally it was initially suggested that HRV's were supposed to be used in cold climates and ERV's were supposed to be used in hot climates but our complex multi season climate always did have people wondering what really was best. IMO builders who are ahead of the curve will dump HRV installations and start installing ERV's. The only hang-up for many builders will be that ERV's, with their more complex exchange core, cost a bit more.

HRV's dry the air in homes in winter when many people install humidifiers to add moisture.
HRV's have limited use in summer because they suck humidity into the home.
HRV's have a condensate tube. No big deal but it can be inconvenient.

ERV's maintain much needed humidity in homes in the winter. It does not go down the drain like an HRV.
ERV's, in the summer, transfer humidity to the outgoing air so they can be used more.
ERV's do not produce condensate so no drain tube is required.

The map has changed - HRV's are out.

The good news for those who want to bother - is that ERV's cores are available for VanEE bronze series HRV's so these units can be converted to an ERV. A majority of newer homes in Milton have these bronze series HRV's.

https://www.dpoint.ca/erv-or-hrv-in-cold-climate-zones-time-to-end-the-debate/

Quote - National Research Counsel Canada -

Quote:
NRC studies indicate that in certain climates, ERVs can perform better than HRVs. In cold and dry climates, ERVs are effective in preventing indoor dryness by retaining indoor humidity. In warm and humid climates, ERVs provide better humidity control and reduce the electricity consumption of air conditioning systems or dedicated dehumidifiers.

Link - https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ci-ic/article/v17n4-13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 am 

is is too bad to not use the HRV at all?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 am 

Carl wrote:
is is too bad to not use the HRV at all?

No. An HRV can be used and it is a good thing to have in any home. Like everything else, you just need to know when and how to use it.

One problem however is that most people don't know when and how much to use them. Often builder's explanations on HRV's is incorrect, insufficient, or wrong. As well, there are hundreds of HRV's in Milton that where either not installed properly or do not operate properly and most home owners have no clue about these problems. I know this because inspecting and explaining HRV's is part of my warranty inspections and I find many problems with them.

What "they" have concluded is that ERV's can be used more often and are more efficient than HRV's yet originally ERV's were not even considered for our climate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am 

HRV is very primitive unit itself. Yet, it gets wrong on installation by careless installers and due to the price builder pays them.
I think, ERV, if comes with more complicated design/concept, will be screwed on installation just as HRV if not more.

In summer working HRV seems to be fine as long as AC drain works and AC isn't too small. HRV takes hot and humid air into the furnace, where humidity is absorbed and drained from AC coil. It is still better then just humid air through the open windows. IMO.
In winter, the air from HRV gets dry because of the furnace work. But having windows open for too long makes ice build up and makes it difficult, if impossible to close the window.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:29 pm 

Interesting, I thought you were referring to the Honda HRV compact SUV, haha.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Interesting, I thought you were referring to the Honda HRV compact SUV, haha.

On first read of the heading, thought this is something to do with Honda HRV.

BTW, only newer homes are fitted with HRV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm 

Carl wrote:

BTW, only newer homes are fitted with HRV.

Yes, most newer homes for the past 8 years or more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
The good news for those who want to bother - is that ERV's cores are available for VanEE bronze series HRV's so these units can be converted to an ERV. A majority of newer homes in Milton have these bronze series HRV's.

Hi

Can you give some details on this (i.e. Who can get this done and what is the approximate cost)?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 pm 

s_Fanous wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:

Hi

Can you give some details on this (i.e. Who can get this done and what is the approximate cost)?

Thanks

You don't get this done. You simply order an ERV core, take out the HRV core, and install the ERV core. Whatever you do. Don't pay someone to do it for you unless it is a minimal fee and provided they show you how to remove it and re-install it for cleaning. If you live in Milton call me if you order one and I'll help you sort this out.

VanEE should be able to help you get the core or tell you where to get one. They can be reached at - 1-800-567-3855. Last time I discussed this with VanEE the ERV core was about $250 plus tax, not delivered.