HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm 

We have a 3 years old Mattamy model and we’re thinking about adding a window to the side of the house. It would require cutting a hole and removing brick so not a small job I’d imagine. Has anyone done anything similar?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:15 am 

tee&dee wrote:
We have a 3 years old Mattamy model and we’re thinking about adding a window to the side of the house. It would require cutting a hole and removing brick so not a small job I’d imagine. Has anyone done anything similar?

If there is another house beside you that is close to your home, then it is not likely that you can get a permit to do that.

There is a requirement called "spatial separation" that limits / restricts the amount of glass between homes. It is likely that the number of windows and the size of the windows on the side of your home is already at that limit or very close to that limit.

Spatial separation prevents or slows down the spread of fire between homes so it is not something to be ignored or messed with.

You could calculate the spatial separate figures to determine if you can add a window and what size the window could be. That calculation may conclude for example that you could actually install a small window in which case it may not be worth it.

If you call a contractor to look at this and they do not know how to calculate the spatial separation requirements or tell you that you do not need a permit then send them packing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:46 am 

that spacial separation requirements is something new I have heard now as read sometime ago that to add window you do not need a permit, looks like it is not the case.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 am 

There's a lot of bylaw infractions in this Town regarding adding to and renovating houses to accommodate the rental of illegal basement apartments. Bylaws are not enforced and many owners either (a) are not aware they need permits for most renovations, or (b)feel it's their house and they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

I'm simply making a general comment about this topic and it's by no means directed at "tee&dee" specifically who may have a very legitimate reason for wanting an extra window.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

Thank you all for your feedback. I calculated the spatial separation based on what I found of ToM website and it looks I'd be OK to add a window.
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... de-Web.pdf

There's no house beside us either so I hope we'll be OK. I will talk to ToM building division and will get a permit of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:10 pm 

Carl wrote:
that spacial separation requirements is something new I have heard now as read sometime ago that to add window you do not need a permit, looks like it is not the case.

Yes, "spatial separation" rules are the reason why there are not many windows between homes that are close together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

tee&dee wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback. I calculated the spatial separation based on what I found of ToM website and it looks I'd be OK to add a window.
https://www.milton.ca/en/build/resource ... de-Web.pdf

There's no house beside us either so I hope we'll be OK. I will talk to ToM building division and will get a permit of course.

Great news. Enjoy the new view and extra natural light into your home :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:10 pm 

All Star wrote:
There's a lot of bylaw infractions in this Town regarding adding to and renovating houses to accommodate the rental of illegal basement apartments. Bylaws are not enforced and many owners either (a) are not aware they need permits for most renovations, or (b)feel it's their house and they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

I'm simply making a general comment about this topic and it's by no means directed at "tee&dee" specifically who may have a very legitimate reason for wanting an extra window.

Probably the same in any town or city. People want to save money. Often people hire clowns to do work on their homes, crossing their fingers, and hoping for the best. I find the real problem is that many home owners have no clue as to what is good work or poor work. They have their basement done poorly, think it's great, and recommend the people who wrecked their basement to friends. All a vicious cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:59 am 

I once knew a guy who was told he didnt need a permit for a window (it wasnt looking at anyone) He got it. Then the following year he turned a window into a sliding door in the yard and added one more window also not looking at anyone and then 6 months later he had to reverse it.

Was in Woodbridge I dont remember all the details other than he had been forced to reverse the work.