HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Anyone else have feedback on Burger Factory? I was looking forward to this long delayed opening.

I liked it, had the taste of a Greasy Spoon type joint. Been there twice. I had to order the double burger on the second pass because the single was kinda small. First time there the wait was long, second time was better.

I thought they were quite better than Works, TBH. Not a fan of the Works - to me their burger meat is flavourless, which they try to mask with all the different toppings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:31 am 

catyvo22 wrote:
Alpha. Thats my logic as well. It sucks to pay those prices, but when I go out I know what Im getting into ($ wise). Bad service makes me cringe, because I have a hard time hitting any 10-15% tip button. I usually tip very well, and can prove it anytime (not that anyone asked). So bad service really makes the experience horrible.

You sound like a good professional or a sales exec who gets it. Your generosity is also likely one reason you get good karma, and experience continued success professionally and car-wise, haha.

I like to (and want to) give 20% myself when eating out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:08 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
catyvo22 wrote:
Alpha. Thats my logic as well. It sucks to pay those prices, but when I go out I know what Im getting into ($ wise). Bad service makes me cringe, because I have a hard time hitting any 10-15% tip button. I usually tip very well, and can prove it anytime (not that anyone asked). So bad service really makes the experience horrible.

You sound like a good professional or a sales exec who gets it. Your generosity is also likely one reason you get good karma, and experience continued success professionally and car-wise, haha.

I like to (and want to) give 20% myself when eating out.

Did the Keg tonight in Oakville. Brought my own wine (we like our own stuff). Service was great, like it usually is. My daughters friend gave me a $100 gift card for my birthday last week. Bill was $229 for 2 of us and a kid. Minus the $100 gift card. Total was $129. I still tipped $100.

BTW: If you like Greek food, theres a hidden gem in Burlington called Mythos. Service is VERY good, the food just as good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 am 

catyvo22 wrote:

Did the Keg tonight in Oakville. Brought my own wine (we like our own stuff). Service was great, like it usually is. My daughters friend gave me a $100 gift card for my birthday last week. Bill was $229 for 2 of us and a kid. Minus the $100 gift card. Total was $129. I still tipped $100.

Does your family not eat during the rest of the week, then pig out at restaurants? I have no idea how 3 (your daughter is in her late teens, right?
So an adult not eating from the kids' menu) adults can put away enough food to get to $229, especially if no alcohol was purchased.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:46 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
B&T402 wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to burn up that much in the best resto markets in the world, but MILTON??!! And yes I am familiar with that place, it ain't all that really.

Tons of good restaurants get that price very quickly
Wine + appetiser + meal + dessert + after meal drink
Heck even a chain could run you $150 per person including taxes & tips (although tip is optional)

Sunday brunch I linked last time is $65 + drinks + tips even

Although where in Milton do you think is a better place? We really have nothing but fast food junk in this town.
Burgers or frozen sushi or shwarmas or pizzas.
Is it no wonder people need to get high when they live* here

*term used VERY loosely

Burger Factory seems to have mostly positive reviews, but dry buns & long wait times are common complaints
The Works is not exactly quick which I assume is their main competition

This $777 was for essentially 5 adults and not 2+3 so bear that in mind, I presumed 3 children with feet dangling off chairs.

That's some serious gluttony at any rate, emblematic of N. American perceptions of value / portion control. The restaurant racket in general now knows how to work this, knows how to run numbers up and up and up, and there's no shortage of easily bedazzled takers it seems, people who couldn't cook their way out of a paper bag. "Five stars! Incredible!"

BTW as everyone knows, the best restaurants in Milton are actually not in Milton, if we're going out to dinner we ate in for a drive. We're old fashioned, we consider fine dining to be an exceptionally rare occurrence, not just any old place that tells you they are "fine". The term is seriously over-used, practically treadworn, and should be regulated and juried somehow, and not just with Google stars.

And if you're in the mood to part with $300/couple, you don't work a Canyon Creek waiter for 5 courses over 90+ minutes and don't tip...do you? Sheesh Minty!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 pm 

For fine dining you can usually find me at East Side Mario’s.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:17 pm 

catyvo22 wrote:
-Did the Keg tonight in Oakville. Brought my own wine (we like our own stuff). Service was great, like it usually is. My daughters friend gave me a $100 gift card for my birthday last week. Bill was $229 for 2 of us and a kid. Minus the $100 gift card. Total was $129. I still tipped $100.

BTW: If you like Greek food, theres a hidden gem in Burlington called Mythos. Service is VERY good, the food just as good.

Yum, love The Keg, but I always find that Oakville branch doesnt have friendly greeters. And my God, you are generous, bless you.

Thx for the heads up on Greek food. I will look them up. Lets end the convo on pricing here, ppl here are getting judge-y. I know you're the kind of guy who would order 3-4 apps to share among your friends/family before the main course, which adds to the bill (along w alcohol and San Pellegrinos). When I treat ppl, I go all out too and tell them to get whatever they want, or I'll get things to make sure there's extra vs. not enough. I spent $90 at Hood and Grill of all places two weeks ago w me and a friend, lol. He makes a good steak w his shawarmas!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:18 pm 

cov-canuck wrote:
catyvo22 wrote:

Does your family not eat during the rest of the week, then pig out at restaurants? I have no idea how 3 (your daughter is in her late teens, right?
So an adult not eating from the kids' menu) adults can put away enough food to get to $229, especially if no alcohol was purchased.

One daughter is 7. She was the one with us. If you'd like me to break it down I can. But when you order 2 app's, and a steak, 2 drinks and a $35 Corkage. Add in a kids meal (which at the Keg isn't $5 like Boston Pizza), Than ya. $229. I can go grab the receipt if you like. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
Mr.Peppermint wrote:
B&T402 wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to burn up that much in the best resto markets in the world, but MILTON??!! And yes I am familiar with that place, it ain't all that really.

Tons of good restaurants get that price very quickly
Wine + appetiser + meal + dessert + after meal drink
Heck even a chain could run you $150 per person including taxes & tips (although tip is optional)

Sunday brunch I linked last time is $65 + drinks + tips even

Although where in Milton do you think is a better place? We really have nothing but fast food junk in this town.
Burgers or frozen sushi or shwarmas or pizzas.
Is it no wonder people need to get high when they live* here

*term used VERY loosely

Burger Factory seems to have mostly positive reviews, but dry buns & long wait times are common complaints
The Works is not exactly quick which I assume is their main competition

This $777 was for essentially 5 adults and not 2+3 so bear that in mind, I presumed 3 children with feet dangling off chairs.

That's some serious gluttony at any rate, emblematic of N. American perceptions of value / portion control. The restaurant racket in general now knows how to work this, knows how to run numbers up and up and up, and there's no shortage of easily bedazzled takers it seems, people who couldn't cook their way out of a paper bag. "Five stars! Incredible!"

BTW as everyone knows, the best restaurants in Milton are actually not in Milton, if we're going out to dinner we ate in for a drive. We're old fashioned, we consider fine dining to be an exceptionally rare occurrence, not just any old place that tells you they are "fine". The term is seriously over-used, practically treadworn, and should be regulated and juried somehow, and not just with Google stars.

And if you're in the mood to part with $300/couple, you don't work a Canyon Creek waiter for 5 courses over 90+ minutes and don't tip...do you? Sheesh Minty!

No place in Milton is worth $700 for even 5 people. I still consider my daughter/my kid. But theres only so much two 17 year olds and a 7 year old can drink. Even if you put a slice of lemon and lime in their 7-ups ;).

I've really only had a few "Fine Dining" experiences that I would bend over for. One was In West Palm Beach, the other in NY. I guess when a town lacks those types of places or can't support them, than anything can be considered "fine dining"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 pm 

Hodor wrote:
For fine dining you can usually find me at East Side Mario’s.

BUDDA BOOMER BREAD! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:31 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
catyvo22 wrote:
-Did the Keg tonight in Oakville. Brought my own wine (we like our own stuff). Service was great, like it usually is. My daughters friend gave me a $100 gift card for my birthday last week. Bill was $229 for 2 of us and a kid. Minus the $100 gift card. Total was $129. I still tipped $100.

Yum, love The Keg, but I always find that Oakville branch doesnt have friendly greeters. And my God, you are generous, bless you.

Thx for the heads up on Greek food. I will look them up. Lets end the convo on pricing here, ppl here are getting judge-y. I know you're the kind of guy who would order 3-4 apps to share among your friends/family before the main course, which adds to the bill (along w alcohol and San Pellegrinos). When I treat ppl, I go all out too and tell them to get whatever they want, or I'll get things to make sure there's extra vs. not enough. I spent $90 at Hood and Grill of all places two weeks ago w me and a friend, lol. He makes a good steak w his shawarmas!

I've never beed to Hood & Grill, but would like to try that. As for the comment, yes thats how I am. I'm Italian and really grew up with food all over the place. That comedian Sebastian Maniscalco does a whole bit on Italians and food. So when I go out, I overdo it. It is what it is. We own a bunch of horses that race at Mohawk/Woodbine, so we are always taking staff, friends etc out. Yes we don't cook much. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:16 am 

Ok, here's a serious question.

You just got home after sitting in traffic for 2 hrs. You picked up the kids and now you really don't feel like cooking. Where do you go or what do you get delivered?

I agree that there really isn't a decent choice in Milton but if you don't really feel like driving to Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, where do you go for take out?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:43 am 

Even for take out there is not that much... Pizza is probably the easiest convenience food (plus can order online so no waiting)

I just shake my head at people lining up for McDs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:29 pm 

far from fine dining but not bad and very easy when I have had days when we are all getting home late and no time Ive ordered swiss chalet online and pay online and that way I time it that the food shows up as we are showing up and pay and tip is already done its just receive food.

Swiss Chalet is nothing special I know but the service of order and pay and tip from smart phone while in traffic and have the food just show up on a bad night like that is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:50 pm 

denti wrote:
Ok, here's a serious question.

You just got home after sitting in traffic for 2 hrs. You picked up the kids and now you really don't feel like cooking. Where do you go or what do you get delivered?

I agree that there really isn't a decent choice in Milton but if you don't really feel like driving to Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, where do you go for take out?

I cook anyway because that’s the responsible thing to do for the children and myself. “I’m too tired so eat some garbage” hahahah ya right

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next