HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Mileage expense
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm 

I don't think "counting the pennies" is the right way to be looking at your mileage and it is certainly not about profiting. As previously stated, the mileage expense is supposed to account for more than just mileage, it is always to compensate the owner of the vehicle for the costs associated with wear and tear (brakes, oil changes, tires etc) and depreciation of the value of the car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

Discussing the difference between $0.45 and $0.55 is literally counting pennies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 pm 

how many would drive around to save couple of pennies to find cheap gas? Isn't it counting pennies?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 pm 

Carl wrote:
how many would drive around to save couple of pennies to find cheap gas? Isn't it counting pennies?

Not me. Not most people either I assume - because that’s stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 am 

Carl wrote:

Even if you drive a Mini that makes no sense

You drive say an extra 3KM to save $0.02 per L
You put say 40L in your tank (yay you saved $0.80, not even enough to buy a coffee or chocolate bar at the station)

But you also burnt nearly $0.30 in gas to drive to second station (8.2 per 100L, assuming you are a perfect driver who never speeds or accelerates and your car is 100% tuned) so you are left with a net savings of $0.50 now (or less in most real world scenarios)

If you prefer we can call it counting nickels instead of counting pennies since pennies no longer exist but same thing really

Darrell & Taralyn wrote:
I don't think "counting the pennies" is the right way to be looking at your mileage and it is certainly not about profiting. As previously stated, the mileage expense is supposed to account for more than just mileage, it is always to compensate the owner of the vehicle for the costs associated with wear and tear (brakes, oil changes, tires etc) and depreciation of the value of the car.

If you are using your car for work then you are depreciating it every year on your taxes
On a newer vehicle this is far more than any sort of gas allowance unless you drive an insane amount every year (in which case I would suggest to look for a better job)

I can not imagine counting the pennies to devalue my vehicle
The CRA percentages seem higher than real life anyways (just be careful, if you depreciate your car too much then sell it used, CRA will be all over you to repay, better to gift it, donate it, or even scrap it)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:35 am 

Carl wrote:

Pennies are most certainly worth counting as long as it doesn't cost you other pennies to do so as per Minty' s summation. I'll reject the option of stopping somewhere and postpone fuelling if I see a price I don't feel like paying, or if it's too busy to bother with. I don't think that's the same as "driving around", I'm not locked to specific travel routes or tight time windows, which is what the too-expensive stations are hoping for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 am 

Carl seems like a price-matcher.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 am 

B&T402 wrote:
or if it's too busy to bother with

Oh yeah forgot that one too
People who sit in line for 30+ minutes to save $0.05 or $0.10 per L at a super busy station like Costco
The time wasted alone is not worth savings but they also burn fuel while idling that long

Esp since the gas stations across the street usually price match or are close enough to make no difference

Hodor wrote:

Wasn't he a Realtor???
He should understand things like UCCA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Carl wrote:

Even if you drive a Mini that makes no sense

You drive say an extra 3KM to save $0.02 per L
You put say 40L in your tank (yay you saved $0.80, not even enough to buy a coffee or chocolate bar at the station)

But you also burnt nearly $0.30 in gas to drive to second station (8.2 per 100L, assuming you are a perfect driver who never speeds or accelerates and your car is 100% tuned) so you are left with a net savings of $0.50 now (or less in most real world scenarios)

If you prefer we can call it counting nickels instead of counting pennies since pennies no longer exist but same thing really

Darrell & Taralyn wrote:

If you are using your car for work then you are depreciating it every year on your taxes
On a newer vehicle this is far more than any sort of gas allowance unless you drive an insane amount every year (in which case I would suggest to look for a better job)

I can not imagine counting the pennies to devalue my vehicle
The CRA percentages seem higher than real life anyways (just be careful, if you depreciate your car too much then sell it used, CRA will be all over you to repay, better to gift it, donate it, or even scrap it)

I suppose it is all relative to your individual situation, I drive approximately 45,000km`s per year, however I receive a company car with fuel, insurance, maintenance etc all included. I purchase an additional $2000 per year in RRSP`s to offset the taxable benefit of using the car for personal use

If this discussion is only about the difference of driving 1000kms per year or less for work, then yes the difference is negligible

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm 

Hodor wrote:

you guys have seen the long line ups for penny saving at gas stations, so it is not new phenomenon.

It is a denial in fact that some (some?) do.

In the end they do not realize they are either running a stationed vehicle or running few km to save on pennies or nickels what ever, but they end up actually paying more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Wasn't he a Realtor???
He should understand things like UCCA

looks like we are in same profession.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 am 

Carl wrote:

Me? Never
Don't think any of my posts ever implied this?

Things like "Realtor" are not real english words, they are trademarks so they can screw you by forcing you to pay to use them (or sue you if used illegally)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Carl wrote:

Me? Never
Don't think any of my posts ever implied this?

Things like "Realtor" are not real english words, they are trademarks so they can screw you by forcing you to pay to use them (or sue you if used illegally)

you are the one who mentioned what ever word that suits you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 am 

We’ve gone Full Carl™.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am 

the topic is about mileage expense.