HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 pm 

So occasionally our TV will "blackout" just for a second or two. The TV power stays on throughout, the satellite box does as well. We assumed it was simply an issue with our satellite box and that these hiccups were just random.
A few nights ago we discovered that flicking a light switch in another room (our kitchen) causes the blackouts. Weirdly, our kitchen has three light switches (all together on the same faceplate) yet it only seems to happen with one of the switches.
This had never happened prior to a couple of months ago, even though we have had the same box for a few years.
I am baffled as to what could be causing this. As I said, the TV never loses power (an icon comes up screen when we mute it and the icon remains on screen during the blackout).
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Eclipse on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:46 am 

First though is did you change any kitchen lighting that requires a transformer, I thinking magnetic interference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 am 

Greenjp wrote:
First though is did you change any kitchen lighting that requires a transformer, I thinking magnetic interference.

No, it's the same lighting put in by Mattamy in 2007. We haven't changed it at all. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:54 am 

I have seen this before. It is your HDMI connection to the TV. Is it a long cable? Are you using a switch/splitter? Are you using a coupler?

It is going black because the slight power surge is impacting your source equipment ever so slightly that the HDMI signal attenuates to the point where the HDMI controllers need to re-handshake. During the handshake, there is no signal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

Gecko wrote:
I have seen this before. It is your HDMI connection to the TV. Is it a long cable? Are you using a switch/splitter? Are you using a coupler?

It is going black because the slight power surge is impacting your source equipment ever so slightly that the HDMI signal attenuates to the point where the HDMI controllers need to re-handshake. During the handshake, there is no signal.

Our HDMI cable is not very long, I believe it is 6'. We are not using a switch or coupler... are you suggesting using one could be a culprit, or that it could be a fix?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 pm 

I asked about a switch or coupler because those can attenuate your signal (i.e. cause your problem). Guess that's not it. If there's nothing between your satellite box and TV, I'd swap the cable first as an easy thing to try. Do you really need 6'? The shorter, the more signal strength...

Is your TV & satellite box on the same electrical circuit as the kitchen? The next thing to try is to put them on a different circuit and see if the problem is reproducible. Or if you happen to have a UPS handy (i.e. borrow one from a computer), you could try that as well.

Bottom line based on your description is your TV and/or satellite box are ultra-sensitive to power fluctuations. You need to eliminate the fluctuations.