HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IPTV with PVR function
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:20 pm 

I'm looking to speak to someone that knows the in's and out's of IPTV. I am looking for an IPTV box with PVR function. From what I understand the PVR function is pretty new to IPTV and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience with it. Send me a message on her or PM.

Thanks
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 am 

I know a couple of models.

1. Dreamlink T1 / T1 Plus
2. BuzzTV XPL3000

You'll need to supply your own data storage though. I'm not sure what's the maximum size of hard drive you could use. I have tried 32Gb jump drive and it worked fine through the box's USB port. The BuzzTV is way better than the DL (newer model, bigger memory, faster processor, 2.1 and 5 GHz WiFi capability, etc.). It got a Google PlayStore and Apptoide for apps download.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 am 

I have a Dreamlink T1 that I don’t use anymore that I’ll sell. Works fine just decided IPTV isn’t for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 pm 

Miles wrote:
I know a couple of models.

1. Dreamlink T1 / T1 Plus
2. BuzzTV XPL3000

You'll need to supply your own data storage though. I'm not sure what's the maximum size of hard drive you could use. I have tried 32Gb jump drive and it worked fine through the box's USB port. The BuzzTV is way better than the DL (newer model, bigger memory, faster processor, 2.1 and 5 GHz WiFi capability, etc.). It got a Google PlayStore and Apptoide for apps download.

Great thanks for the tips. How do you find the performance of iptv in terms or ease of use, quality and reliability.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:09 am 

There are numerous factors that affect the quality of the IPTV:

1. Internet speed and quality - you'll need a decent download speed since IPTV is data extensive. Also, unlimited bandwidth is a must. Most IPTV boxes in the market are WiFi capable. The stability of your WiFi connection to the location of your IPTV box would matter much to the quality of your video. If you could hardwire your IPTV, the better.

2. IPTV Server - there are numerous IPTV servers out there. Some performs better than the others.

3, Speed and memory of your IPTV box - get the newer model. Newer ones got faster processor and bigger internal memory.

If you expect 99.999% reliability and quality, then IPTV is not for you. It is not as stable as Bell, Rogers, Cogeco or other major providers. It's not difficult to use once it is set-up. It's similar to any video box. Just be familiar with the menus and you'll be ready to go.

If you want to cut your expenses and pay dirt cheap with close to a thousand (or more depending on the subscribed server) of live channels, VOD, etc. IPTV is the best alternative in my opinion. It's way better than Kodi and other alternatives. I suggest that you check the cost of IPTV boxes and services through Kijiji. You could also search for public forums that specialize on IPTV discussion for more info. IMO, the monthly cost of an IPTV service is worth getting a box.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:01 pm 

thanks for the detailed clarification Miles. At our place for the last months I was under pressure to get this box as the regular favourite channel is no longer telecast with Rogers.

Now I will print your post and give it and if they still insist, will go ahead in the new year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:06 pm 

Carl wrote:
thanks for the detailed clarification Miles. At our place for the last months I was under pressure to get this box as the regular favourite channel is no longer telecast with Rogers.

Now I will print your post and give it and if they still insist, will go ahead in the new year.

Lol wut??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:09 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Carl wrote:

Lol wut??
Made sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:32 pm 

Carl wrote:

Each IPTV server got its own channel listings. If you are looking for specific channels, make sure to mention it to the IPTV service agent so he could direct you the right server base in your requirements.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:40 pm 

found more information on this topic in this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68765

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 am 

Greenjp wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Carl wrote:

Lol wut??
Made sense to me.

That's because it does make sense. If Carl or anyone else wants to print information from an online forum and shove it in his pocket to show someone later then that's his business.

Yes, Carl could send / text / email the info as well but printing it may in this case be more convenient.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:55 pm 

While there is no pvr function I’ve been using a Apple TV 4th generation and the app called iplayTV. Super easy to setup and although I have only been using this for 7 days now it’s amazing. I get about 1200 channels it gets the odd hiccup but restart the app and your back up and running for 15 bucks a month I couldn’t be happier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:54 pm 

Hang on, don't you need an IPTV provider that supports / allows stream recording as well? Meaning, just because you have the DL or BuzzTV box does is that not enough? Or, do these new boxes support recording regardless of the provider?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:49 am 

So, I got an XPL3000 to test out and while yes, it can record any stream there are some major limitations.

1) There is no skip forward / skip back functionality so you can't "instant replay" something you saw.
2) If you try to create a scheduled timer recording, you have to leave the "Live TV" app running on the box 24/7 because if you exit it, and go to the main menu, the recording won't start. This is a huge waste of bandwidth and just plain dumb.

I've emailed the developer asking if they can implement the first two features, and fix the scheduled recording problem.