HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm 

Noone: IMO alcohol and tobacco are equally irresponsible investments (with the exception of the legally prescribed opioids by physicians.) Just because government makes them legal doesn't make them any less harmful, addictive, and potentially self-destructive vices. But you and others are free to consume whatever legal/illegal substances you want, just don't insult other people's intelligence or try to convert the rest of us by quoting some mumbo jumbo cannabis stats that are ludicrous and unsubstantiated by various medical studies and literature on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm 

All Star wrote:
(with the exception of the legally prescribed opioids by physicians.) Just because government makes them legal doesn't make them any less harmful, addictive, and potentially self-destructive vices.

Who wants to tackle this one? LOL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:23 pm 

@noone: IMO alcohol and tobacco are equally irresponsible investments (with the exception of the legally prescribed opioids by physicians.) Just because government makes them legal doesn't make them any less harmful, addictive, and potentially self-destructive vices. But you and others are free to consume whatever legal/illegal substances you want, just don't insult other people's intelligence or try to convert the rest of us by quoting some mumbo jumbo cannabis stats that are ludicrous and unsubstantiated. There are many medical studies and literature on the subject that clearly contradict whatever fake facts you and others are trying to peddle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 pm 

I'm not trying to peddle anything, but i am very interested in seeing the medical studies that you are talking about. Also, for the record, i haven't voiced my opinion on the matter, simply asked questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm 

All Star wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Good morning. I had no less than 3 high people trying to break in to my house this morning to steal things for weed money. This whol legalization thing has been a terrible mistake. Reefer Madness is real!!

Is this your usual sardonic humor?? BTW, how are your cannabis stocks doing these days Hodor? Will you still be laughing when potheads really start breaking into homes or committing crimes even worse than that? I guess pot investors like yourself don't give a damn about any of that as long as you can laugh all the way to bank with your profits eh? Do your children know that you've invested in weed stocks? If so, what's the message they're picking up from it? Nothing to be proud of as a parent, in my book.

I... just.... I can't.... where do we begin here?

All Star wrote:
BTW, how are your cannabis stocks doing these days Hodor?

Yesterday was shitty, but it's a long game - I'm in it for the medical gains that I'm guessing are about 10 years away. Portfolio up about 200% give or take though.

All Star wrote:
Will you still be laughing when potheads really start breaking into homes or committing crimes even worse than that?

This won't happen, and I'm not even sure this is a serious concern you have. If you actually think it will, please explain how and why. Hopefully we can help assuage your fears.

All Star wrote:
I guess pot investors like yourself don't give a damn about any of that as long as you can laugh all the way to bank with your profits eh?

Aside from the obvious hope of increasing my net worth, I have invested in this industry for a few reasons:
1) I believe cannabis is less harmful than alcohol and many prescription drugs like opiods - both natural and synthetic.
2) I applaud these Canadian companies for creating quite a few real, acutal solid jobs in a brand new industry and I want to support Canadian businesses.
3) I don't believe the legalization of, or even increased use of cannabis will cause any harm to society.

All Star wrote:
Do your children know that you've invested in weed stocks? If so, what's the message they're picking up from it?

My kids are way too young to know what cannabis is, or how the stock market works. But you can bet your ass when they're ready, they're going to get a solid lesson from pops in both of those subjects, which I hope to provide in a responsible and non-judgemental manner.

All Star wrote:
Nothing to be proud of as a parent, in my book.

You ever consider you've been reading the wrong book?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:29 pm 

noone wrote:
I'm not trying to peddle anything, but i am very interested in seeing the medical studies that you are talking about. Also, for the record, i haven't voiced my opinion on the matter, simply asked questions.

Ever heard of "Google"? I'm not about to spoon feed you...There are reams and reams of information both pro and con cannabis. Read all about it, it's all there if you are really interested.
Then use some critical thinking to come to your own conclusion, don't blindly follow the herd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 pm 

haha, ok.

I've read plenty about it, for many years actually. I was just curious what you were reading to come to your conclusion. No worries, though, i think i understand.

and once again, i have not voiced an opinion either way, just asking questions, so which herd is it i'm following?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm 

All Star wrote:
noone wrote:

Ever heard of "Google"? I'm not about to spoon feed you...There are reams and reams of information both pro and con cannabis. Read all about it, it's all there if you are really interested.
Then use some critical thinking to come to your own conclusion, don't blindly follow the herd.

Here’s the thing - when you make a claim, people can (and should) demand proof. The burden is on you to provide it, and until you do your argument has no merit. Simply declaring that the evidence is a google search away is inadequate, and tends to imply that you do not in fact have any reputable evidence to support your claims whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm 

All Star wrote:
noone wrote:

Translation = I don't have a clue if any of these studies exist. I'm pulling it out of my arse.

Similar to anyone who uses the term "fake news". I can't formulate an argument or find any evidence against what you're saying so I'm just going to call it fake news.

Gotta run now, Faith Goldie just posted a new video.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:35 pm 

I took All Star’s advice. This “google” sure is wonderful!!

Study shows cannabis legalization in Washington state led to significant decreases in crime
https://www.straight.com/cannabis/10597 ... ses-crime#

Legal marijuana cuts violence says US study, as medical-use laws see crime fall
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguar ... s-us-study

No reason to expect more accidents after pot is legalized, public health study finds
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews. ... iving/amp/

After states legalized medical marijuana, traffic deaths fell
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN14H1LQ

Getting off opioids with medical marijuana: Patients turn to pot over pills
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/29/health ... ogle.ca%2F

Recreational Cannabis Legalization and Opioid-Related Deaths in Colorado, 2000-2015.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29019782/
Quote:
RESULTS: Colorado's legalization of recreational cannabis sales and use resulted in a 0.7 deaths per month (b = -0.68; 95% confidence interval = -1.34, -0.03) reduction in opioid-related deaths. This reduction represents a reversal of the upward trend in opioid-related deaths in Colorado.

You’re up, All Star. Spoon feed me please - my body is ready.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 am 

Hodor: Cherry pick much? As I stated earlier there is plenty of literature out there that people can access and make up their own minds. I'm not about to get into an ongoing debate with you about this issue. It's evident that you relish playing devil's advocate and getting under people skin on just about anything and everything -- Mr. know-it-all. Where do you get the time for your non-stop posting? You're a family man with 2 small kids, do you work/have a job, or are you independently wealthy and can afford to stay home and play on the computer all day?

Here's just a couple of articles you might want to read that contradict what you dug up from Google, although I doubt anything will change your mind at this point:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... ects-brain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_drug_testing

In conclusion, I really don't give a rat's ass what you or others want to do with your lives but please keep all your bull sh*t arguments to yourself, the rest of us aren't buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:36 am 

Hodor you just got out Google! He countered your links to the Guardian, Reuters and CNN with a wikipedia entry. What are you going to do now?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 am 

I wouldnt use wikipedia as a reliable source of information, as it is an open site that can be changed by anyone.
The other article is an interesting read, however there is lots of variables, here, it seems to be concentrated on use of cannabis for a young age, and even the article has various statements like

"Several studies, including two large longitudinal studies, suggest that marijuana use can cause functional impairment in cognitive abilities but that the degree and/or duration of the impairment depends on the age when a person began using and how much and how long he or she used"

"However, recent results from two prospective longitudinal twin studies did not support a causal relationship between marijuana use and IQ loss. Those who used marijuana did show a significant decline in verbal ability (equivalent to 4 IQ points) and in general knowledge between the preteen years (ages 9 to 12, before use) and late adolescence/early adulthood (ages 17 to 20). However, at the start of the study, those who would use in the future already had lower scores on these measures than those who would not use in the future, and no predictable difference was found between twins when one used marijuana and one did not. This suggests that observed IQ declines, at least across adolescence, may be caused by shared familial factors (e.g., genetics, family environment), not by marijuana use itself"

and i think most importantly,
"The ability to draw definitive conclusions about marijuana’s long-term impact on the human brain from past studies is often limited by the fact that study participants use multiple substances, and there is often limited data about the participants’ health or mental functioning prior to the study. "

also, neither of these articles say anything that back up your statements of pot users becoming hard criminals breaking into houses and stealing to feed their addictions.
This sounds like pure fear and years and years of government telling you what is bad and what isnt instead of, like you say not just following the herd.
at least hodors links are showing actual stats, off of actual places that have legalized it, and have the data to back it up, while also stating that clearly more research needs to be done, as the testing has always been very limited due to it being illegal for so long.

to say he is cherry picking is a bit much, im not sure if you actually fully read any of those links, but they are all very unbiased and are just posting facts, and from legitimate sources, again, while wikipedia is a great starting point, i really dont think it should ever be used as a legitmate source to site to back up statements.

i also dont think hodors time management has anything to do with a debate.
if you want to have an actual discussion about something, its very much ok to have a different opinion or point of view, and still keep yourself composed when someone has the opposite opinion.
im assuming we are all adults here, and able to carry a civil conversation.
if you look at things objectively you might actually even learn something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am 

also, i have 2 jobs, 3 kids, and still have time that i can browse the internet and engage in discussions on topics i am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 pm 

wait, are just f*cking with us? did you even read the wikipedia article? it, and neither article contradicts anything that has been posted here?
the wikipedia one is just an article on testing for pot use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next