HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 pm 

Whoa, back up the truck. You REPLACED the tank?
Then what difference does it make if you owned or rented the one that went to the dump? It was trashed. You had to either buy a new one or rent a new one and you opted to rent a new one. Of course they are charging you.
I now think you are SOL.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm 

newster wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
newster wrote:

- the tank had to be replaced since it was leaking CO, the buyout cost is about $3000.

Wow, now that's an excessively high price to pay as a buyout for what was probably a piece of junk.

this is the buyout cost for the current tank . . . . i dont know what the buyout cost of the old tank might have been but what i feel is i have been cheated, this was not the perfect house for me but still thinking that i will only have to worry about my mortgage in regards to this house I went for it, other houses i saw were in same price range were more maintained and more suited to my requirement but had some or the other rental contracts that i had to assume so i did not purchase those

I have an idea about the whole situation.

You did not like the house that you stretched yourselves with the mortgage and other payments.

You got a new tank now and it costs $50 a month.

You did not anticipate you have to cough up $50 before the purchase of the house.

Now that you have replaced the tank and you did not buyout the tank, it is costing $50 a month.

You got a service call and did not have to pay for it.

You started to get the bill with the new tank.

It is possible the previous tank could have been owned and you did not pay for the service call as you have committed for a new rental with new tank.

All in all, it is likely this is not a good picture for your self going forward.

I know you are looking for some compensation on the contract, but for that you need to make sure the previous tank is not owned. That compensation could be the monthly rental you would have paid from the time you got the house to the replacement of the tank.

It appears you did not pay a nickel as rental before the tank got replaced.

Therefore your compensation is zero on this aspect.

These tanks are never life time warranty, it can last anywhere from 8-15 years. You can ask Halton Home inspector for that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:14 pm 

What a farce of a thread this turned out to be!

If the tank was owned, it was still defective and needed replacment. This would cost what? $1000 for the tank and parts + labour as well? Alternatively, you can get Reliance to install one for "free" you just have to pay them $50/month for maintenance for the rest of your life.

Since OP doesn't seem to have any money whatsoever, I doubt they would have taken the first option of outright replacement in the first place.

Totally sucks, as he just wants to get his new house and enjoy the good life, but dude just needs to suck it up, turn down the thermostat a little bit and take shorter showers to make up for that unexpected $50/month hit. Hope the furnace doesn't crap out next!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:17 pm 

Right from the beginning, I mentioned we did not have all the facts. Upon pinpoint questions and also on fees again and again why $50 fees, then came the ultimate fact of tank being replaced with newer one. This should have been noted in the very first message.

And all this and that talk ended up in a sh*t now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm 

Wow 4 pages already...

Your lawyers should have already figured out water tank was rental before deal even closed
You can also easily sue the Realtors involved in transaction for not doing what they were supposed to do

I'd be going for more than value of the tank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm 

It's scary that you seemingly can't afford $50 after just buying a house.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:48 pm 

Carl wrote:
Right from the beginning, I mentioned we did not have all the facts. Upon pinpoint questions and also on fees again and again why $50 fees, then came the ultimate fact of tank being replaced with newer one. This should have been noted in the very first message.

And all this and that talk ended up in a sh*t now.

Carl rules, I'm a big Carl fan.

Last edited by B&T402 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

Fred D wrote:
To further your case, get a copy of the broker listing from your realtor. Many times it mentions this in the listing.
NOTE: Owned water tanks to NOT have the same service coverage as rentals. Often bought out tanks only have a 1 year warranty, after that, you're on your own.

A couple of things - CO has no smell, so either you had a gas leak or a CO leak, hopefully not both. Was it verified that the tank was the only source?

Also, I may have missed in this thread somewhere - when did you move in? Most purchase contracts say that the chattels and fixtures must be in good working order on closing. If this was happening as soon as you moved in, and you kept records, and you notified your realtor right away, not only would the seller have to pay out the tank charges to reliance since the contract said OWNED, they would also have to repair it (IF you reported it right away after moving in).
Keep us posted - email your realtor for that broker listing, and if you'd rather not, then PM me and I will take a quick look for ya.

Fred
We haven't touch on what Fred has said here....obviously this hot water tank was in bad shape and turned deadly in the first week of occupancy, that alone should be sufficient to warrant a law suit forcing the seller to replace it based on the paper work stating the seller owned it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:03 pm 

newster wrote:
Hi All

The seller does not want to settle the case and I cannot afford this extra $50 every month, with a new born baby and my wife on mat leave i am already finding it difficult to make my ends meet.

What options do i have ?

Thanks

The option of cancelling your internet access to provide your family hot water is worth consideration.
You could ask for a 22 cent per hour raise in order to bathe occasionally.
How old are your appliances, roof, driveway and paint?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

As your wife is on mat leave, she can redeem RRSP to bring her income close to $12k tax free within her basic personal income tax exemption. That’s a good one!

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 pm 

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic to your problem but I have to wonder what ever possessed you to purchase a home when doing so would stretch you so thin that you can't even afford $50/per month to replace the water tank.
What are you going to do if either the furnace goes next or you need to fix the roof or something else breaks down or needs replacement?

Perhaps you would have been far better off to rent vs buying, then you wouldn't be saddled with paying house taxes and other costs associated with house ownership. Did you consider all this before buying? I'm sure you're certainly not alone to find yourself in this predicament. We have people on our street who rushed into buying houses and now they're so financially strapped that they can't even afford to buy a cup of coffee. So sad really. I'm sure we're going to be hearing many more tragic stories like this in the future. Best of luck to you and your family.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:28 pm 

(Dumped for relevance)

Last edited by B&T402 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 pm 

Wow, a few little factualities killed that chat right quickly.
Too bad, it was one of the better ones in recent history.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:34 pm 

newster....Don't pay much attention to the gloom & doom, I think you still have a strong case.

Maybe Fred & Andy can add a bit more advice to what I said earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70022&start=45#p560229

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:41 am 

Greenjp wrote:
newster....Don't pay much attention to the gloom & doom, I think you still have a strong case.

Maybe Fred & Andy can add a bit more advice to what I said earlier.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70022&start=45#p560229

Gloom & Doom???? So stating some obvious facts and serious things to consider are gloom & doom to you?
Give your head a shake.... By you and others suggesting that he take this case to court is only going to cost this guy even more money in legal fees, unless he's able to obtain free legal representation. My gut tells me that there's more to this story that has been disclosed, otherwise why would his previous lawyer just wash his hands and refuse to get involved any further? Could it be that he knows a lot more than we've been told and knows that it would be a waste of time and money to pursue it in court? Up to now we only know one side of the story....

Last edited by All Star on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next