HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 am 

Hodor wrote:
That’s.... a lot of text.

Maybe the big boys just don’t want to bother with semis. In Milton there’s so many bad roofs I would imagine they can pick and choose successfully.

Or maybe they thought you were weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being a semi worked out great for Damian. Doing both sides. one big roof.

Total in the $10,000 range.

A roofer that is too good to do a $10,000 roof? ok....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am 

Again I don’t know. You do seem like one of those “I am the customer and you will do as I say right now” kind of people so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they’re all on vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am 

007 wrote:
Ollies asked questions put me in queue and am still in queue.

I'm sure you have been booted out of Ollie's queue, I'll bet they scrutinize this board daily to find out how 'Villagers feel about them. :roll:

007 wrote:
i was also looking for a top tier company recognized by the distributors of the products
Flawed logic here. These companies would focus on volume, not quality of workmanship. A small "Mason-sized" roofer would not come close to consuming as much product as industrial scale enterprises, and would be practically invisible to a monster producer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am 

I dunno.

I just simply wanted my roof done but was scared of getting a bad roof thats all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 pm 

007 wrote:
Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Did you call Lloyd ?

I had not tried Lloyd to be honest. Couldnt find big web presence or website and am paranoid going with a smaller company for this.

I do not recommend very many people or companies because I need to know they consistently do great work before I recommend them. I am comfortable recommending Lloyd.

Lloyd does not have or likely want a "big" web presence. He just relies on referrals and I think that keeps him as busy as he needs to be.

People need to be persistent and book early with these things which is exactly what you are doing.

But 007, I'm sure your new roof will be fine :)

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65349&p=531568#p531568

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 pm 

found a quote on my front door step after work today from Gitano roofing. $1000 less... I guess the other quotes are gonna show, maybe I rushed.

ooops

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 pm 

If you didn't call for this, and they weren't up there to have a look, that doesn't sound legit now does it? You are making this way harder than you need to make it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
That doesn't sound legit now does it? You are making this way harder than you need to make it.

What do you mean?

If you mean price doesn't sound legit i already paid deposit and am going with the first guy but was a little shocked to find this quote waiting for 1000 less before tax.

Dunno if im overpaying now.

The company that left the quote seems to be a big roofer

I had called but they never called back

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 pm 

007 wrote:
B&T402 wrote:
That doesn't sound legit now does it? You are making this way harder than you need to make it.

What do you mean?

If you mean price doesn't sound legit i already paid deposit and am going with the first guy but was a little shocked to find this quote waiting for 1000 less before tax.

Dunno if im overpaying now.

The company that left the quote seems to be a big roofer

I had called but they never called back
Does the lower quote guy know what options you wanted? Were your extras in writing on his quote?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:55 am 

I’ve never seen such a complicated roof re-shingling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 am 

B&T402 wrote:
If you didn't call for this, and they weren't up there to have a look,,,

Roofers do not need to access a roof to quote a job. A tape measure, knowledge of slopes, and a couple math calculations is all they need to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 am 

The written quote included more plywood than current person everything else the same, current person using GAF Timberline Natural Shadow lower quote Using IKO Camebridge

@Hodor I guess I have made a mess lol. To be honest Im out of my element on this one.

both all new vents, stack flashing, 3 ft ice water.

To be honest the lower quote seems more pro. So I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:04 am 

007 wrote:
The written quote included more plywood than ,,,,,

Oh. Did someone actually access the roof and determined that you needed new plywood or did they just assume ?

Not surprised if your existing home had multiple small leaks that would contribute to plywood problems.

Many thousands of new homes in Ontario have tens of thousands of small leaks at all the exposed nailheads at roof ridges and vents which are required to be sealed with sealant by the builder but are not sealed. I would imagine that nails in roofs have been sealed for a couple thousand years but some bone-head roofers that work for builders neglect to do this on new construction homes even though they must know it needs to be done.

As well, most people ignore their roofs until they decide to replace it when it is best to have a competent roofer like Lloyd inspect a roof at least every 5 years to make minor repairs and seal / re-seal nailheads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:12 am 

007 wrote:
The written quote included more plywood than ,,,,,

Oh. Did someone actually access the roof and determined that you needed new plywood or did they just assume ?

Not surprised if your existing home had multiple small leaks that would contribute to plywood problems.

Many thousands of new homes in Ontario have tens of thousands of small leaks at all the exposed nailheads at roof ridges and vents which are required to be sealed with sealant by the builder but are not sealed. I would imagine that nails in roofs have been sealed for a couple thousand years but some bone-head roofers that work for builders neglect to do this on new construction homes even though they must know it needs to be done.

As well, most people ignore their roofs until they decide to replace it when it is best to have a competent roofer like Lloyd inspect a roof at least every 5 years to make minor repairs and seal / re-seal nailheads.

There are no known leaks.

first guy quoted 2 sheets in case and other 3 sheets in case.

If you go in the attic the inside of the plywood looks like new. no water marks at all.

i wanted the roof done because the existing shingles curled up and when there is heavy wind little droplets of stone or whatever you call it falls down.

in the 5 years i have been here no leaks and like I said the attic side all plywood is perfect. I was just in the attic last week running more ethernet and took a flashlight to the plywood all looked great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 am 

B&T402 wrote:
If you didn't call for this, and they weren't up there to have a look,,,

Roofers do not need to access a roof to quote a job. A tape measure, knowledge of slopes, and a couple math calculations is all they need to do.

Tape measure...to measure width and depth of the structure, slope calculations including a height measurement. Did this random guy trespasses up a side yard to take these measurements, or did he pull it out of his sleeve from his truck on the street. One for every house on the street with a ratty roof?

I'm sure you wouldn't take this price seriously, neither would I and I think neither should OP. And I checked, my for-real roofer in 2012 offered 2 "free" sheets of ply included if necessary, and guess what none needed on our then 10 yo structure - go figure! No rebate offered or pursued.

Can't wait for Mr. Bond's first forays into plumbing, electrical, lighting, flooring, windows....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next