HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 am 

The Town of Milton Planners and Traffic Engineers want to continue an outdated policy of literally stealing your property that you bought, and pay taxes on. If you are planning applying to the town for any development or renovations, they want to make you pay for the survey and lawyers fees to give the Town your property!

These laws are not for any specific plans, but are sweeping generalizations across most of established Milton in the name of "future road-widening". These are based on antiquated traffic engineering standards from the 1980's. If you own a corner lot, they want to take a "Daylight Triangle" off of your corner too!

The Town Planner's Report is recommending that council continue this practice. And in an email on 2018-03-28, Commissioner of Engineering Paul Cripps wrote to me:
Quote:
Further to your comments below, while there have been instances in the past where these dedication were not taken, on a go forward bases the Town will adamant about requiring the dedications in accordance with the Official Plan and the Planning Act.

Come Tonight (April 9th) at Council and stand up for your Property Rights.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:58 am 

Hey! What’s a daylight triangle?

Are you saying my property will get even smaller? Whay are they doing this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 am 

"Daylight triangles are required to provide safe and adequate sight lines at intersections"

In my case they've demanded a 5m x 5m triangle from the corner of my lot as a condition of approval for a planned addition to my home (even thought it will be on the opposite side of the house from this corner). One of the engineers gave a veiled threat that if I tried to fight it, they could also demand a 1.6m "Road Widening" from BOTH sides of my lot as well!

There is no issue of safety at my corner, and I am not aware of any accidents at the intersection of my two small residential streets in the past 10 years I've lived here.

This is straight up expropriation, but without even being paid for the property they're taking. In fact I have to pay for the Lawyer to register the land transfer!

These are engineering traffic standards that have been repeatedly proven to be ineffective at improving safety since the Town's Official Plan was created in the 1980's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm 

What are they going to do with the 5x5?
Will they build something, or is it to prevent you from building something later on?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:41 pm 

They won't answer what it's for exactly. As near as I can tell they want it just in case they might one day want to use it for something.

Once it's Town property, you of course cannot build on it, it's not yours! Then they can put whatever they want on it... telephone poles, traffic lights, a community mailbox, a sewer vent...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

New sewer vent sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:11 pm 

They are going to erect statues of Gord Krantz on all these "Daylight triangles" when he retires.

And he faces your house.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:48 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
They are going to erect statues of Gord Krantz on all these "Daylight triangles" when he retires.

And he faces your house.

I would polish only his ass every day, so the gleaming shine would have him mooning my neighbors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:09 pm 

Hodor wrote:
Greenjp wrote:

And he faces your house.

I would polish only his ass every day, so the gleaming shine would have him mooning my neighbors.
Only from the mind of Hodor, he can find good in everything....Priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 am 

From your quote, sounds to me they're basically saying don't plant a hedge/fence within the triangle so people can see around the corner when turning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 am 

DaveS wrote:
From your quote, sounds to me they're basically saying don't plant a hedge/fence within the triangle so people can see around the corner when turning.

Yes but expecting the homeowner to pay the extra fees for this is ludicrous.

Just make a line of sight bylaw and be done with it. There probably already is one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:42 pm 

Actually you do not own the land if I am not mistaken, you are a tenant to the Crown here in Canada, only exception is Native lands under treaty. The Crown " does allow you the freedom to transfer the land, or encumber it with a lien "

opie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:15 pm 

Its just a
extrapolation/extension/evolution/application

of a policy Town staff were already thinking about
in 2010

Somewhere in the 2010 Staff Reports is one dealing with the future
where the area around
Main St East/Bronte Rd
does not consist of rundown slum housing,a liquor store and a rundown
former Halton Farmers Co-operative outlet

but nifty 4 to 40 storey tall office towers
refered to in that
2010 report as the

Employment Area

and ways to modify the Official Plan to
make this wondrous
mini Financial District a reality

Staff figured the small slum housing lots
would need to be assembled into bigger
land units to attract
the bigger developers

but also figured that developers could
purchase additional stories for their buildings by offering
public benefits such as underground garages
public art and low income housing units in the nifty
new buildings.

For what its worth what Town would like
on the former site of 41 Main St East
is a twin storey set of towers
perhaps 6 to eight stories tall,with
a space between the two towers to allow the Sun to shine through onto
adjacent backlots.

Since Lot Lot 5 Block 1 of the Martin Survey is currently
zoned for 4 stories
said 6 to 8 storey twin employment building
would get the extra 2 to 4 stories above the Official Plan
by having the Developer
give the Town public art,underground parking,etc

A purchase of additional storeys in other words

So
wanna add to your Mattamyville House,"purchase' the addition by
giving the Town a 5m x 5 m safety triangle to improve the public good

Same policy as in that 2010 Staff Report,just on a smaller scale

( And since dad owned Lot 5 Block 1 of the Martin Survey from
1973 to 2015,I know my Town Plans and Staff Reports )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:05 am 

JPaulson wrote:
They won't answer what it's for exactly. As near as I can tell they want it just in case they might one day want to use it for something.

Once it's Town property, you of course cannot build on it, it's not yours! Then they can put whatever they want on it... telephone poles, traffic lights, a community mailbox, a sewer vent...

I say accept the offer.
That way if you exceed the 3 bag limit, just call 311 and tell them someone dumped a garbage bag on their property, come get it.
Works with part full paint cans and toxic waste items too that the dump charges for.
Hi 311? Yeah, after the spring thaw, someone raked a mountain of dog poop onto your property, you better come clean that up.
Unless you get the fancy sewer grate you want, then just put your garbage in there.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 am 

JPaulson wrote:
"Daylight triangles are required to provide safe and adequate sight lines at intersections"

In my case they've demanded a 5m x 5m triangle from the corner of my lot as a condition of approval for a planned addition to my home (even thought it will be on the opposite side of the house from this corner). One of the engineers gave a veiled threat that if I tried to fight it, they could also demand a 1.6m "Road Widening" from BOTH sides of my lot as well!

There is no issue of safety at my corner, and I am not aware of any accidents at the intersection of my two small residential streets in the past 10 years I've lived here.

This is straight up expropriation, but without even being paid for the property they're taking. In fact I have to pay for the Lawyer to register the land transfer!

These are engineering traffic standards that have been repeatedly proven to be ineffective at improving safety since the Town's Official Plan was created in the 1980's.

On a corner lot the 5m by 5m triangle from the corner does not seem unreasonable. According to the math it only prevents you from building a structure 3.5m from the corner of the property.