HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

allen84 wrote:
I live a 1 minute from the area. Hopefully they upgrade the infrastructure of the internet backbone to gigabit fibre here. I'm sure a campus would need something like this. I'm getting sick of 120/10 internet is the highest option I can get.

Can I ask why you need more than that? I’m genuinely curious.

I only have a 30M connection at home and we stream sports, movies, and I work from home frequently - never a problem. “This needs to be faster” has never crossed my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 am 

Hodor wrote:
allen84 wrote:
I live a 1 minute from the area. Hopefully they upgrade the infrastructure of the internet backbone to gigabit fibre here. I'm sure a campus would need something like this. I'm getting sick of 120/10 internet is the highest option I can get.

I only have a 30M connection at home and we stream sports, movies, and I work from home frequently - never a problem. “This needs to be faster” has never crossed my mind.

Because the price I pay here would be the same price for other people living closer GTA area are getting speeds of 250mbps 500mbps or 1gbps. Since we are limited in terms of speed here, we're getting ripped off in pricing, since the price can't scale with more speed offerings. A lot more upload speed is actually what i'm looking for really. I'm currently paying 60/10 for $65 with Start. In Etobicoke for examples, it costs $70 for 150/10 up, I've read there are packages from Rogers for 500 for around that price. What i'm even more jealous of is some condos in downtown toronto, offer 1gbps for $50 !!

With the new Laurier campus all about focusing on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics, Then they should definitely have Gigabit internet in their facility (Which hopefully nearby residents can take advantage of)

To answer your curiosity, I could never be satisfied with 30M, I had to ditch my fibe 25 from last year. I felt it was slow at times and unreliable. Start is a lot better. I download a lot of "stuff" also hosting a game server and media server to friends. This is where more upload speed is needed. But after seeing what other speeds in other areas of GTA are getting, I feel I could get more value, if more speed options were offered.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am 

allen84 wrote:

Because the price I pay here would be the same price for other people living closer GTA area are getting speeds of 250mbps 500mbps or 1gbps. Since we are limited in terms of speed here, we're getting ripped off in pricing, since the price can't scale with more speed offerings. A lot more upload speed is actually what i'm looking for really. I'm currently paying 60/10 for $65 with Start. In Etobicoke for examples, it costs $70 for 150/10 up, I've read there are packages from Rogers for 500 for around that price. What i'm even more jealous of is some condos in downtown toronto, offer 1gbps for $50 !!

With the new Laurier campus all about focusing on science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics, Then they should definitely have Gigabit internet in their facility (Which hopefully nearby residents can take advantage of)

To answer your curiosity, I could never be satisfied with 30M, I had to ditch my fibe 25 from last year. I felt it was slow at times and unreliable. Start is a lot better. I download a lot of "stuff" also hosting a game server and media server to friends. This is where more upload speed is needed. But after seeing what other speeds in other areas of GTA are getting, I feel I could get more value, if more speed options were offered.

Do not get carried away from what others are getting in GTA. I do have Rogers at 150/10, but my Start at 30/10 seems to have no trouble, but my Rogers at times are very slow. There are many factors go into play and these are posted speeds and not actual that you may realize. At times you may get this speed but not all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am 

Hodor wrote:
dakaardian wrote:
Funny cause science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics are not what Laurier is known for. It is mostly known for its business programs.

My guess is it will be mostly college level courses rather than university ones, delivered by Conestoga College.

They don’t offer programs in those fields?

I said "is known for", big difference

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm 

Hodor wrote:

More than 2 screens in your house?

UHD is at least 13Mbps (recommend 25Mbps) so if you watch TV and your wife/kids want to watch tv at same time you would basically be sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:24 pm 

shawnrk1 wrote:
Hodor wrote:

More than 2 screens in your house?

UHD is at least 13Mbps (recommend 25Mbps) so if you watch TV and your wife/kids want to watch tv at same time you would basically be sol

Yes I thought of this initially but we don’t ever have problems in our home. Simultaneous streaming on multiple devices happens quite frequently with no discernible loss in picture quality.

The person I was asking already responded so question answered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 pm 

Doug Ford has struck again.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4588272/doug ... rkham/amp/

Didn’t Parm Gill run on supporting this project? What a bunch of donkeys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 pm 

Hodor wrote:

Serious question

WHAT is Ford for?

All I keep seeing is cancel this cancel that

Also just as an FYI
Despite the same name, the Federal & Provincial Conservatives are NOT the same party
The Liberals are the same party
Weird I know

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:10 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Also just as an FYI
Despite the same name, the Federal & Provincial Conservatives are NOT the same party
Weird I know

Umm, I'm not sure what you mean but neither are the same party. Ontario Liberal Party is not the same as the Liberal Party of Canada. Nor is the Conservative Party of Canada the same as the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario. None of them even share the same names. Ontario Conservatives still retain the progressive in their name which the federal party got rid of with their failed Reform alliance. Both Liberal parties share similar placement on the political spectrum as do the conservative equivalents but they aren't the same parties. That's kind of why you can have Jean Charest as a Progressive Conservative Prime Minister but then a Liberal Premier of Quebec.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm 

Parm Gill isn't going to honour his promise? Does that mean he might not stop the intermodal as well? I'm shocked! How could we have ever seen this coming. If he was ever actually in Milton I would give him a piece of my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:46 am 

I guess Parm never spoke with Doug during his campaign. It was right there in the DoFo platform, wasn’t it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:48 pm 

I would be inclined to put the blame for killing the Milton Campus on Miltonians and their politicians
rather then Doug Ford

As I understand it CN had been willing to pump in money
for a Logistics Studies
department on the Campus

which is private money the thing could have used.

Yet as one Miltonians voted in anti CN politicians
likely killing any interest CN has to invest in this hostile railroad
hating community

Doug Ford sees that and wonders
"Why should the rest of Ontario pay for these Milton jerks
to reject CN
yet demand all sorts of other goodies?

Maybe a Opera House now for Mattamyvillites to walk their corgi's to now?

Bout time somebody dumped a load of cattle fertilizer
on Milton!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:15 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:

Umm, I'm not sure what you mean but neither are the same party. Ontario Liberal Party is not the same as the Liberal Party of Canada. Nor is the Conservative Party of Canada the same as the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario. None of them even share the same names. Ontario Conservatives still retain the progressive in their name which the federal party got rid of with their failed Reform alliance. Both Liberal parties share similar placement on the political spectrum as do the conservative equivalents but they aren't the same parties. That's kind of why you can have Jean Charest as a Progressive Conservative Prime Minister but then a Liberal Premier of Quebec.

Depends on province how Libs are structured
Some provincial parties ARE the federal party (most of the Maritimes as an example) and others (such as ON) work together

Conservatives have nothing in common between Feds and Provs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:04 pm 

Then why do the Federal Cons share their voter database with the Ontario Progressive Party? And why do so many of the top strategists and organizers flip between both levels during election times?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:29 pm 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Hodor wrote:

Serious question

WHAT is Ford for?

All I keep seeing is cancel this cancel that

Also just as an FYI
Weird I know

Cancelled thanks to Wynne and her spending problem. She made promises that the university will locate in Milton, Brampton, and Markham but Ford says the government is in too much debt to move forward with it. He has to make cuts to balance the budget. Will probably take years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next