HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:42 am 

Hello

This is more for people who have swimming pools. I have in ground swimming pool and started having constant problem several years ago with water pushing the liner and made it float. There is just too much water around and below the pool and normal draining does not work due to clay I am told

I am advised to drill deep 4 ft and install pipe which will be a sump pit and install sump pump there which will discharge the water away from the pool when water level is high

Does someone else have this problem and how did you solve it?
Can you recommend someone to do this work of making a hole and installing pump?

Thanks

D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:02 pm 

It is hard to imagine that the water table around your home and pool is so high that it would displace the liner.

The water behind the liner is probably pool water that has leaked through holes in the liner itself. How old is the liner ?? Are you aware of any cuts in the liner ?? Often water leaks behind liners where there are fittings, like the jets or around the skimmer.

Even if you have a high water table, the weight of the pool water would hold the liner in place.

IMO you have a leaky liner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 pm 

Most new pools are installed with a sump well to prevent this liner floating. This often happens when the pool is closed and the water in the pool is not as high as the surrounding water around the pool. During the pool season the water pressure in the pool should generally be enough to push back the water around the pool. We have a sump well and it was installed by the pool builder, we empty it every now and then and have not had an issue with the liner floating.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:53 am 

Dan Drmanic wrote:
Most new pools are installed with a sump well to prevent this liner floating. This often happens when the pool is closed and the water in the pool is not as high as the surrounding water around the pool. During the pool season the water pressure in the pool should generally be enough to push back the water around the pool. We have a sump well and it was installed by the pool builder, we empty it every now and then and have not had an issue with the liner floating.

Interesting.

I'm assuming the OP's pool is full of water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:06 pm 

I can't directly help however It's interesting you brought this up as I moved into a house this winter with a house that has a sump pit. In speaking to the pool company that installed a new liner the fall before the home owner did it himself as he was having issues with the liner. The funny thing was that he didn't even need the pit in the first place and just needed a new liner due to leaking. In addition to this the the pool company advised me that the owner didn't even install the pit in the right location if the pit was required.

Needless to say I have a hole with a tube in the ground beside my pool that didn't need to be there in the first place. I suggest speaking to a reputable pool company about this if you haven't already. I recommend Presto Pools. They've been around Milton for over 30 years and Percy the owner is a top notch guy.

Happy swimming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
It is hard to imagine that the water table around your home and pool is so high that it would displace the liner.

The water behind the liner is probably pool water that has leaked through holes in the liner itself. How old is the liner ?? Are you aware of any cuts in the liner ?? Often water leaks behind liners where there are fittings, like the jets or around the skimmer.

Even if you have a high water table, the weight of the pool water would hold the liner in place.

IMO you have a leaky liner.

I agree with H H inspector. You got a hole in your liner somewhere. The pool water should hold liner in place. I have a 36 x 18 in ground in clay. Halton Pools on Main St. the best. They can check for holes, rips in liner. Had my pool for 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:07 am 

I think the issue is more related to newer homes that have smaller lots and poor grading. My neighbour has a pool and did not get a sump pit installed and sure enough his pool liner was floating.

I put a pool in and made sure to have a sump pit installed and have had no issue with the pool liner. After it rains the amount of water I pump out of the sump pit is quite a lot so I am not surprised without a sump pit you could have issues.

But it really depends on the size of your lot and grading.