HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm 

My Mattamy 3-story townhouse will turn 1 year old next month. I'm eligible to file a 1-year report with Tarion to identify any deficiencies. My problem is 2 fold. I'm not a house savvy person & I don't live in the house. It is rented. If nothing seems to be wrong with the house, should I invest in a professional home inspection? I've heard pros & cons on the issue. I would very much appreciate any advice/input. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 am 

Binou wrote:
My Mattamy 3-story townhouse will turn 1 year old next month. I'm eligible to file a 1-year report with Tarion to identify any deficiencies. My problem is 2 fold. I'm not a house savvy person & I don't live in the house. It is rented. If nothing seems to be wrong with the house, should I invest in a professional home inspection? I've heard pros & cons on the issue. I would very much appreciate any advice/input. Thanks

I've inspected a few thousand new construction homes and many 3 story village town homes. Just did one in fact, possibly on your street where the HRV installation was completely bonkers and had a gas code violation. If it is your street then I noticed one village town that looks as if it has some missing vents which is not unheard of and always a surprise to my clients. No doubt my inspection will reveal at least a few issues or more but most important is that you will learn allot of information about your home and have piece of mind when re-selling your home. Like usual my schedule is pretty busy so feel free to call me today at 905 876 4761 for additional information, pricing and to book your inspection if you want.

Of course I am bias but you and everyone else in a newly built home, especially by a very large builder, needs an inspection.

Feel free to read some reviews that have been posted on this forum but most reviews these days are on posted on various Facebook groups -

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am 

Hi Halton home inspector,
In your opinion, does Mattamy takes a concern more seriously if it is brought up in a home inspection report v/s the home owner saying " I think this is not right , can you fix it"
Also, how long does the inspection usually take, how do one arrange this if they have renters in the house?

Thanks for any input
Nan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:42 am 

nan wrote:
Hi Halton home inspector,
In your opinion, does Mattamy takes a concern more seriously if it is brought up in a home inspection report v/s the home owner saying " I think this is not right , can you fix it" Also, how long does the inspection usually take, how do one arrange this if they have renters in the house?

No, saying "I think something is not right and can you fix it ?" will not often get you anywhere. Most of the things I identify are not something most home owners are aware of.

I look for building code violations, gas code violations, missing items, poor workmanship issues, etc. I do not comment on cosmetic issues, inspect cabinets or counters for scratches, nailpops, floor squeaks, or any other simple things that home owners can easily identify and who in some cases builders improve as a courtesy.

My reports are very accurate, include photos, and include codes. Builders are seldom able to legitimately dispute issues. Don't get me wrong, sometimes getting anything fixed can be a challenge regardless of the issues. All your communications with the builder should be via email where it is documented. Verbal promises are not something you can depend on.

You are entitled to ask your tenant to give you access to the home for the inspection and that has not been a problem for any of my many customers who rent homes.

Inspections typically take 2.5 to 4.5 hours depending on the size of the home and the number of issues that come up.

For additional information please just phone me at 905 876 4761.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:38 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 am 

I used Andy a couple times and the items he identified easily saved me a lot of money by getting the builder to correct it vs me paying for it down the road.

The builder may not fix it just because the home inspector marks it down, sometimes you need to keep on them or escalate through tarion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm 

yonoid wrote:
I used Andy a couple times and the items he identified easily saved me a lot of money by getting the builder to correct it vs me paying for it down the road.

The builder may not fix it just because the home inspector marks it down, sometimes you need to keep on them or escalate through tarion.

Thanks yonoid. Glad I could help. Yes, it's true that some builders warranty people dispute legitimate issues and it often takes time to get things resolved. Not all builders are like this. After all, every builder can miss something or not do something just right. It is how they respond to these issues that determines how good they really are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 pm 

Milton Warden wrote:

I contacted the technical standards and safety authority regarding this matter and was informed that “ A home inspector is not allowed to inspect any gas appliance such as a furnace , hot water tank or a fireplace unless they’re gas licensed.”

I have receipts and showed them to the new buyer.

Not sure what technical standards told you but you, I, and any other person can look at a furnace, water heater, or gas fireplace to determine the overall condition, and with a furnace and water heater, determine the age and size of the item. Heck, these things are on labels on the tank and furnace cover. That is what home inspection standards of practice require.

As for showing the buyer your receipts. Maybe that was after the inspection was already done. If the inspector was not aware of all the money you spent fixing the furnace then maybe he advised his client properly by assuming these repairs would come up soon.

As well, sometimes buyers make a big deal about items brought up during inspections that the home inspector only considered as a marginal issue. That's the buyers "price reducing tactic" and not the fault of the inspector.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm 

I started this thread as I was faced with the decision whether or not I was going to invest in professional home inspection for my 1-Year warranty. As far as I could tell everything looked to be in good order. I couldn't identify even 1 deficiency. Since I am a total layperson in this field & the house represents my biggest investment, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I am very glad that I did.

I hired Andy Shaw, Halton Home Inspections. Andy did an amazing job. He identified 10 builder deficiencies, 5 exterior & 5 interior. This included missing shingles, an incorrect vent, insufficient attic insulation, non-gas-proof garage man door, etc. Trying to fix 1 of these things aftermarket would probably have cost more than the report. And I wouldn't have even known that these things needed to be fixed until probably something leaked, broke or whatever.

Andy's report was thorough, organized & very easy to read. It included great descriptions, references to building codes & pictures. I attached it to my Tarion 1-Year report. Saved me a lot of time completing the report. When I sell, I can give the new buyers a copy of the report to verify the home's condition.

I will definitely use Andy in the future if the need presents itself. In terms of Andy himself, very pleasant, on time, professional, lots of cool tools, took his time to explain & show me everything & answered all my questions. I am 100% satisfied with Andy & Halton Home Inspection.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm 

Binou wrote:
I started this thread as I was faced with the decision whether or not I was going to invest in professional home inspection for my 1-Year warranty. As far as I could tell everything looked to be in good order. I couldn't identify even 1 deficiency. Since I am a total layperson in this field & the house represents my biggest investment, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry. I am very glad that I did.

I hired Andy Shaw, Halton Home Inspections. Andy did an amazing job. He identified 10 builder deficiencies, 5 exterior & 5 interior. This included missing shingles, an incorrect vent, insufficient attic insulation, non-gas-proof garage man door, etc. Trying to fix 1 of these things aftermarket would probably have cost more than the report. And I wouldn't have even known that these things needed to be fixed until probably something leaked, broke or whatever.

Andy's report was thorough, organized & very easy to read. It included great descriptions, references to building codes & pictures. I attached it to my Tarion 1-Year report. Saved me a lot of time completing the report. When I sell, I can give the new buyers a copy of the report to verify the home's condition.

I will definitely use Andy in the future if the need presents itself. In terms of Andy himself, very pleasant, on time, professional, lots of cool tools, took his time to explain & show me everything & answered all my questions. I am 100% satisfied with Andy & Halton Home Inspection.

Thanks Binou,

I appreciate your review.

It's no wonder that the homes carbon monoxide alarm went off so the good news, among other things, is that the source of that problem was found and can now be repaired.

Feel free to phone me if the builder disputes any of the issues.

Andy Shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:18 pm 

Location: I live in Hawthorne Village and sleep in Mississauga!
Andy is great. I've used him in the past and he's about as real as it gets.
As a side note, I had a client buy a Mattamy in Coates a few years back. When we did the home inspection there was ZERO insulation in the attic. The builder completely missed it and what homeowner will actually climb through the attic hatch to look during their PDI.
For the money why not? It's a tiny investment relative to the cost of the home.
Cliff

#1, 07-18 company wide!

cbarron@sutton.com
http://www.callcliff.ca
905-286-5888

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 pm 

CliffB wrote:

Andy is great. I've used him in the past and he's about as real as it gets.
As a side note, I had a client buy a Mattamy in Coates a few years back. When we did the home inspection there was ZERO insulation in the attic. The builder completely missed it and what homeowner will actually climb through the attic hatch to look during their PDI.
For the money why not? It's a tiny investment relative to the cost of the home.
Cliff

Thanks Cliff.

Very kind of you.

My focus these days is new construction warranty inspections so I'm not in the resale market world much anymore.

While not every new built house has serious problems I do think everyone learns from their inspection. The bottom line is that many new homes do have problems, poor workmanship issues, and things that are missing which are all documented in the Online PDF file reports that I provide.

Buyers of new homes need to understand that when dealing with builders - knowledge is power.