HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:28 pm 

Hi,

I am looking to move in Milton for the best public elementary school this city has to offer. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Note:
Looking to move to Milton only, not Oakville or Georgetown.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:25 pm 

Google - "best elementary school in Milton" and you will find some info on the best schools in our wonderful town.

Heck,,, even Oakville is still a "town".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:54 pm 

Will this help you decide on which area of Milton to buy?
Your child will go to the school that is in your school boundary of your house.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am 

That's correct, buying/renting decision will be based on the school boundaries. I found the following links on the web but interestingly they all offer conflicting results:

https://susihomes.com/milton-school-rankings/

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/school-performance

https://www.bagdala.com/milton/public-e ... l-ranking/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am 

"The best" elementary school is quite subjective and can change quite a bit in only a few short years based on staffing changes or shifting demographics. Your child could even be placed in a bad class/teacher at the "best" school so making a long term decision like buying a house based on school boundaries isn't wise. There really isn't that much of a difference between schools. If a school is really struggling or under performing Boards will make changes to address the issues. If you insist I would look into demographic indicators like poverty indicators, ESL, etc. of the community but even those can be really poor indicators. My advice would be to help your kids do the best with the school they're at rather than worry about which school they attend. Take an interest in what they're doing at school, attend school events, communicate with teachers and support them with school work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:46 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:
"The best" elementary school is quite subjective and can change quite a bit in only a few short years based on staffing changes or shifting demographics. Your child could even be placed in a bad class/teacher at the "best" school so making a long term decision like buying a house based on school boundaries isn't wise. There really isn't that much of a difference between schools. If a school is really struggling or under performing Boards will make changes to address the issues. If you insist I would look into demographic indicators like poverty indicators, ESL, etc. of the community but even those can be really poor indicators. My advice would be to help your kids do the best with the school they're at rather than worry about which school they attend. Take an interest in what they're doing at school, attend school events, communicate with teachers and support them with school work.

Thank you, this is making me rethink the whole thing :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:11 pm 

Groundbreaking wrote:

this is absolutely right. the school doesn't make the school the teachers do. you can go to the lowest rated school and have the best teacher or go the the best school and get the worst teacher.

Instead look at what the school offers... ie: french immersion etc and pick the school based on that it provides

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:51 pm 

some neighborhood homes are more pricey compared to others because of a particular school. People try to put into popular schools based on how those schools have performed with the averages the students are getting.
I looked at what extra activities after school that the school offers, what the different types of the programs, talked to the vice principal to get why I should get my child enrolled in that school as well as the rankings of the school, the grades the students were getting in the past. It was just not one factor, but multitude of factors and you take the decision and then support your child.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 pm 

https://www.eqao.com/en/assessments/results

Numbers speak for themselves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:26 pm 

And when they "speak" what is it you hear them say?