HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:02 am 

Over the last couple of days, I have been working on getting back to a number of emails I received this week. The general tone of these emails was about fiscal responsibility.

It reminded me of this weeks committee meeting, and lost in the excitement in the number of public meetings which went to 10:30PM, there was a report to council that stated the remuneration and expenses of our elected officials for 2009. This report includes the salaries of the councillors, the amount of benefits they receive, expenses incurred for professional development and mileage they claimed.

Continue to the post

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:51 pm 

Thx for the info.

Do you have info on Halton Region councillors too? I can't imagine $26K is for a full-time job on Milton Council.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 pm 

The position of local councillor is a part time position. There are some councillors who do more than others but the job isn't full time.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 pm 

Maybe it's a dumb or naive question, but why is the Major's base salary 2.3x the average councillor salary? Is it a full time position compared with part time? 2.3x the work?

Why also do some councillors have or claim a mileage allowance while others don't?

Professional development doesn't bother me - it costs to attend conferences on matters such as, for example, sustainable development that are important for a growing town like ours. Many professions require their members to take professional development courses and/or seminars to maintain their licences to practice. It would be interesting to see what areas each councillor spent their professional development money. I'd also be questioning why some councillors spent nothing on professional development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:11 am 

They Mayor and Regional Councillors also receive a salary from the Region of Halton which isn't included in this list.

These numbers are general numbers and there are no specific details ie what trips councillors expensed for mileage etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 am 

This file shows Halton Region payments to Region councillors in 2009.

http://sirepub.halton.ca/cache/2/iq3hly ... 218841.PDF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 pm 

Poof that report is gone. I clicked on the link and theres nothing to be found. Garlis...how did you find that report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:00 pm 

2008 Salaries and Expenses REGION OF HALTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:24 pm 

Mike_Cluett wrote:
Poof that report is gone. I clicked on the link and theres nothing to be found. Garlis...how did you find that report?

Sorry. Don't know why that direct link quit working but the data is still available. Maybe someone more skilled than I can build a table from the pdf file.

The data is in Region Staff Report CS-08-10 which was item 2 on the February 24 agenda of the Region Administration and Finance Committee. The following link is to that agenda where you can access the report.
http://sirepub.halton.ca/pubmtgframe.as ... ype=AGENDA