HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ward 7 news updates
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Traffic lights at Thompson & Clark
This was originally scheduled to be implemented by the end of July by the Town of Oakville but upon further review of the signal drawings it was determined that there was a lot of concrete work required at this intersection and that is the cause of further delay. A new date has not yet been determined. There has recently been some work at this intersection and yes it is related to the future traffic signals.

Union Gas Pipeline Trail in Ward 7 (east side)
There are still unresolved grading issues between the Town of Milton & Mattamy as well as draining and grading issues between New Life Church & Mattamy. Mattamy has assured me they have had recent discussions with the Church and are now able to move forward. They are still trying to determine when they will resolve the grading issues with the Town of Milton. It has been frustrating as I've been part of discussions on this topic since fall 2009 and the speed at which this moves forward at times feels glacial. The town is holding a large sum of security of Mattamy's until this work is completed and that as well as Mattamy stilll being responsible for maintenance related to subdivisions that abut the trail are supposed to be motivating factors to get this work completed. There were also some miscommunication between Mattamy and the Church that were hindering efforts, that has now apparently been resolved.

Walkway between Cousens Terrace & Thompson Road
The Town of Milton will move forward with this once the Union Gas Pipeline issues are resolved. It makes economical and engineering sense to do this walkway work at the same time as the Union Gas Pipeline Trail as they are adjacent to each other.

Updated Community Park (near Sports Centre by Santa Maria Blvd) renderings
The community services department is hoping to post updated drawings sometime next week on the Town's website. I'll post an update here when it's available and how to find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:46 pm 

Thanks for the updates!!

You're too modest, put this in the General section so that everybody sees it - It's community news, and has nothing directly to do with your campaign :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 pm 

Wow. A prospective politician that follows up when they say they will. Refreshing! Thanks for looking into the Walkway between Cousens Terrace & Thompson Road and the Union Gas trail I wrote about a while back. Thanks for remembering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 pm 

Relevant updates, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks very much. I wish the news on the union gas trail had more action. There has been progress over the year (church & mattamy are at resolution) but there still remains outstanding items and it's just hard to see the speed this continues to progress at.

On a more positive note, the town updated their website to make the new community park (by the sports centre) concept plan official. It's at http://www.milton.ca/commserv/parks/com ... jul-09.pdf and has many changes from the last concept plan. The new park is really going to be a larger 'community park' with multiple items of interest.

The PDF is quite large & detailed so it may be hard to make out on a computer screen. The 2 small blue circles are a water park, there will be a childrens playground a little to the left and lower down of that (pinkish shape). The "future" blank spot with the writing just to the south of the sports centre hasn't been totally defined yet, it may include outdoor skating, outdoor volleyball courts, etc (still being scoped out). I really enjoyed my recent opportunity to meet with the parks department (Jon Meyer & others) where they walked me through a table-sized roll out version of the map that you can now download online.

Some of the park that borders with the "future development" will still be refined as they learn what that new development may look like. So those edges of the park will still likely undergo future changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 pm 

Thanks for the updates Rick, do you know what kind of "place of worship" will be build on the corner of Yates and Louis St Laurent ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am 

mmario wrote:
Thanks for the updates Rick, do you know what kind of "place of worship" will be build on the corner of Yates and Louis St Laurent ?

Likely a new Catholic Church as they are creating a new diocese on the south side of Milton. Rick can correct me if I'm wrong, as he's always in the know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry I missed this post.

Yes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hamilton (of which Milton is a part of) owns that land. I called them a few weeks ago, at the time they still couldn't communicate plans on when (or if) something would be developed there. But they do own the land, and it is zoned as a place of worship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm 

HI Rick

That's what I thought. Diocese is the wrong term, but it was the only one that fit at the time. I should now this, I am Catholic! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 am 

Hello Rick Councillor-elect Ward 7:

Thanks for these updates.

2 new matters:

(a) If we have a streetlight out, who do we contact in the Town?

(b) Can you also look into the issue of snow removal in anticipation of the winter? The side streets and crescents seemed to be after-thoughts and sometimes were even snowed in by ploughs over the last 2 years. We didn't get a lot of snow last year, but the previous year I was underwhelmed by the snow response by the Town. I'm curious what the plan is in the event of heavy snow fall. Naturally, this is not a rush request.

Congrats again Rick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Admin

J&J wrote:
(a) If we have a streetlight out, who do we contact in the Town?
For (a) Please go to http://www.milton.ca/forms/streetlights.php

For (b) I'll find out more about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am 

Thanks Rick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm 

Any further updates Rick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

J&J wrote:
Any further updates Rick?
Hi J&J, sorry didn't reply to this sooner just noticed it today.

Your #2 turned out to be partially prophetic as this year there were a couple streets that were *not* plowed in ward 7 originally as planned. I'm thinking of moureau (spelling?) for one that got missed in the first round (but fixed a couple days later).

There are also some issues with sidewalks, in particular the one along Philbrook (besides coates neighbourhood park) where even after the town comes and plows it on very windy days wind is blowing snow from the field (future park) beside it (talking about just south of coates park north) and re-filling the sidewalk up again. You can see pictures of this problem that were previously posted on the general forum. The Town's making some changes to watch this area more closely in the future especially for wind blown snow (i.e. occured on days even right after it was plowed, when there wasn't snow fall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:47 pm 

Hi Rick,

Our Street, Gervais Terrace, just became assumed by the city, we have proper street signs and stop signs.. However, they just put up the no parking signs that are contradicting themselves..

Who do we contact about this.

Thanks Rick!!