HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:48 pm 

I also looked at replacing the sliding doors and it was about $600 range, so did not proceed as this was bit on the high side.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:33 pm 

Thank you everyone for your replies!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:02 pm 

Anything structural that will enhance the house, structural meaning it will be very difficult to add later

ie: 9 foot ceilings upstairs and down, wood staircase, taller doors, garden doors vs patio doors, bathroom Oasis, seat in shower and keep your color pallet neutral The Lot is also very important, a lot that backs onto green space or pie shaped, across the street from park, on a crescent, not a boulevard. These can be major deal breakers.

You can put in all the money you want in the house, beautiful kitchen, hardwood... but if I don't like your design style color choices I will walk from the house, unless your house has 9 foot ceiling upstairs and down, pie shaped lot backing onto green space, luxury shower with seat and bath oasis... I maybe able to forgive the cheap builder cabinets and carpet, I can always rip them out and replace them with something I really like. I can not ever add 9 foot ceiling to the house with a nice kitchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:07 am 

lalexa wrote:
funnyman82 wrote:
I purchased the bath oasis, side door entry, rec room package, and gas fireplace for our home. I thought those were some of the important ones at the time I purchased. I was thinking about having the laundry moved to the basement as well to prevent and water related issues in the future but my wife didn't like that idea lol.

I thought upstairs laundry was preferred since almost all the models have it? We love ours! We keep our laundry basket in the laundry room and only have a couple feet to walk from the bedroom to put the dirty clothes in there. Also loved that it comes finished. Don't like the idea of lugging multiple loads of laundry down to an unfinished basement.

We got the bath oasis and moved the laundry to the basement. Where we lost closet space for the bath oasis we gained another closet His and Hers now that makes sense for us.

Renfrew Elevation "G" Hawthorne Village

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:23 pm 

does any one know an estimate of the cost to do all of the stairs in a 3-storey townhouse with Mattamy's most basic hard wood??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 am 

crazyfurniture wrote:
does any one know an estimate of the cost to do all of the stairs in a 3-storey townhouse with Mattamy's most basic hard wood??

I've a Moonseed end unit and did one level myself last summer. You are better off getting a quote from outside. Before I did the lower level, I got quote from Arka Flooring (Local flooring company in Milton) and another from contractor outside Milton. The quote for Both the levels was around $3300. The quote was solid Oak steps including Pie shapes/double sides .I think I still have the Design book and can let you know how much Mattamy was charging.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:55 am 

That would be great if you could let me know the price gbharj, Thanks so much. It's hard trying to budget for these things when you don't know the costs. I wish Mattamy would provide access to the prices earlier in the process.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:12 pm 

crazyfurniture wrote:
That would be great if you could let me know the price gbharj, Thanks so much. It's hard trying to budget for these things when you don't know the costs. I wish Mattamy would provide access to the prices earlier in the process.

Hope this helps

Attachments:
CCI02192016_0001.jpg
CCI02192016_0001.jpg [ 133.34 KiB | Viewed 1903 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 pm 

Thank you, this was very helpful. Now I know to budget at least $4000 just for the stairs. I'll probably leave the upstairs carpeted. Still deciding whether to change the laminate on the main floor into hardwood. The costs of all the upgrades really do add up quickly.

Did anyone pay Mattamy to make ALL of their windows operational? Why do they make some that do not open????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:48 pm 

crazyfurniture wrote:
Thank you, this was very helpful. Now I know to budget at least $4000 just for the stairs. I'll probably leave the upstairs carpeted. Still deciding whether to change the laminate on the main floor into hardwood. The costs of all the upgrades really do add up quickly.

Did anyone pay Mattamy to make ALL of their windows operational? Why do they make some that do not open????

I'll suggest keep the laminate and get hardwood done after you move in.. Mattamy subcontract most of the work as 'piece work' so the flooring sub will not do a good job as you will expect.
In the interim, you will notice spots that will squeak / require extra screws so that you can fix it before installing hardwood. This is my experience.
About the window panes to be operational, I think paid $250 or $275 each. It's a gimmick to make more money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:53 pm 

justagirl wrote:
Anything structural that will enhance the house, structural meaning it will be very difficult to add later

ie: 9 foot ceilings upstairs and down, wood staircase, taller doors, garden doors vs patio doors, bathroom Oasis, seat in shower and keep your color pallet neutral The Lot is also very important, a lot that backs onto green space or pie shaped, across the street from park, on a crescent, not a boulevard. These can be major deal breakers.

You can put in all the money you want in the house, beautiful kitchen, hardwood... but if I don't like your design style color choices I will walk from the house, unless your house has 9 foot ceiling upstairs and down, pie shaped lot backing onto green space, luxury shower with seat and bath oasis... I maybe able to forgive the cheap builder cabinets and carpet, I can always rip them out and replace them with something I really like. I can not ever add 9 foot ceiling to the house with a nice kitchen

Best post in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:31 pm 

I agree, I will be doing a few of those suggested upgrades. Does anyone know if Mattamy offers Engineered hard wood flooring?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:01 am 

crazyfurniture wrote:
I agree, I will be doing a few of those suggested upgrades. Does anyone know if Mattamy offers Engineered hard wood flooring?

I've been to the Design Centre, both in Oakville and Milton. I saw samples of engineered hardwood so they most likely offer them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm 

gbharj wrote:
crazyfurniture wrote:

I'll suggest keep the laminate and get hardwood done after you move in.. Mattamy subcontract most of the work as 'piece work' so the flooring sub will not do a good job as you will expect.
In the interim, you will notice spots that will squeak / require extra screws so that you can fix it before installing hardwood. This is my experience.
About the window panes to be operational, I think paid $250 or $275 each. It's a gimmick to make more money.

The problem with getting ground floor hardwood done afterwards is that Mattamy does your stairs matching the color of the floor which means since the default hardwood choices are ugly choices in my opinion (no offense to anyone taken it), your stairs will match the same color of your floor.... if you go with default hardwood color, your stair will be default hardwood as well.
Well, at least this is what we have been told by Mattamy in the design center.
For your kind information