HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Pricing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:48 am 

We picked the Bruce oak walnut stain for our stairs and now we're looking for the floors to match. They had a comparable colour at Home depot for 7.99 Sq ft. Thats way too much for us.

Would anyone know where we could find the same colour/type of wood in a price range of $3-4 sq ft?

Post subject: Re: Pricing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:39 pm 

julmoura wrote:
We picked the Bruce oak walnut stain for our stairs and now we're looking for the floors to match. They had a comparable colour at Home depot for 7.99 Sq ft. Thats way too much for us.

Would anyone know where we could find the same colour/type of wood in a price range of $3-4 sq ft?

Can't really tell you where to get wood for $3-$4 as the quality will not be the greatest. Why not take a sample board of the colour you have chosen & just go around few diff. hardwood stores & see if you can match the colour to another manufacturer. In the worst case, you might have to go with Bruce if you cannot match it. But you should be able to come close but probably will cost you a bit more than you are willing to spend.

I always tell people, you pay so much for your house, upgrade this & that, pay premiums for lots but cheap out on the floors. Your floors will take the most abuse in your house, so don't go for the cheapest stuff, spend a little more money & get something decent since you only do it once & might as well do it right!

Are you planning to install it yourself? Also the lower the quality of the wood, the more you will pay for installation. So might as well spend that money on better product vs. paying more to install lower grade wood :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 am 

Patrob, thanks for the great thread.

My girlfriend and bought a semi that's closing in March '09. We really want hardwood but aren't rich and don't want to go through Mattamy. 8) We don't know much about hardwood and am just looking for ballpark numbers. We really like darker wood and want to get it in our main floor hallway, dining room, den, and family room.

I'm not even sure of all the options. I don't want anything "cheap", but I can't afford anything REALLY expensive. Is there an affordable in between? :D We're getting the stairs done through Mattamy though.

On top of the wood, how much is it to install? We'd really like to go with someone like yourself, after our house is built - preferably within the first week of ownership. How long would it take to install? Is it really significantly more to get it installed at a 45 degree angle?

Thanks for this, and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:50 pm 

Jonzo wrote:
Patrob, thanks for the great thread.

My girlfriend and bought a semi that's closing in March '09. We really want hardwood but aren't rich and don't want to go through Mattamy. 8) We don't know much about hardwood and am just looking for ballpark numbers. We really like darker wood and want to get it in our main floor hallway, dining room, den, and family room.

I'm not even sure of all the options. I don't want anything "cheap", but I can't afford anything REALLY expensive. Is there an affordable in between? :D We're getting the stairs done through Mattamy though.

On top of the wood, how much is it to install? We'd really like to go with someone like yourself, after our house is built - preferably within the first week of ownership. How long would it take to install? Is it really significantly more to get it installed at a 45 degree angle?

Thanks for this, and I'm sure I'll have more questions for you :lol:

Glad you find the thread helpful :D

Since you are staining your stairs with Mattamy, you will have to match your hardwood floors to your stairs so there is a potential of not being a perfect match but you can get very close. Sure you don't have to go with the best but something in the middle grade, that's fine.

If you have a link to your floor plan, I can tell you ballpark numbers, from the lowest to the max you will pay & your hardwood square footage. But for sure it will be much less than Mattamy charges :wink:

Installation price for basic installation starts from $2 sq. ft. plus depending if any carpet removals, re-screwing the sub-floor, installation of quarter round, exotic species extra, etc.... 45 degree angle installation will be minimum (if hallway might be more) $.50 cents more per sq. ft. since more cuts are made & takes longer... & you also need to order 7-8% wood for waste vs. 5%.

Last edited by patrob on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

Thanks patrob :)

Here is a link to my floorplan:
http://www.mattamyhomes.com/uploadedImages/Communities/Hawthorne/Homes_For_Sale/Semi/Rosewood/Rosewood_hvsd57_ground.gif

We would like to hardwood the den, dining room, the connecting hallway, and the family room. Probably would like something middle of the road in terms of pricing. And would be curious as for the price of straight vs. 45 degree.

Also, how long would it take for either type of installation, start to finish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:52 pm 

Jonzo wrote:
Thanks patrob :)

Here is a link to my floorplan:
http://www.mattamyhomes.com/uploadedImages/Communities/Hawthorne/Homes_For_Sale/Semi/Rosewood/Rosewood_hvsd57_ground.gif

We would like to hardwood the den, dining room, the connecting hallway, and the family room. Probably would like something middle of the road in terms of pricing. And would be curious as for the price of straight vs. 45 degree.

Also, how long would it take for either type of installation, start to finish?

PM sent with all info :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:35 pm 

christian wrote:
Hi Patrob, I purchased a 34 ft snowberry model that is closing may 2009 in hawthorne village on the escarpment. I want to put ash coloured hardwood on the whole main floor.can you tell me around how much it would cost. the floor plan is on the mattamy website. I was thinking of doing it myself, but the foyer and the main hall are tiled. how hard is it to rip the tile out and put hardwood in, and how much do you think mattamy will charge to hardwood the main floor compared to someone like yourself. Another option was to get mattamy to tile the kitchen and foyer since they have tile and do the family room and dining room my self or by you. what do you think. i dont have tones of money since this is my first house, if you can let me know what you think i would greatly appreciate it. pm me

Hi Christian:

Try to ask Mattamy to delete tiles in the hallway & stop by the post in the dining room. Or if you really want the foyer in hardwood, see if Mattamy can substitute with carpet right from the front door. It's a lot easier than removing tiles. Ripping tiles off is not as easy as it looks on TV, it's a lot of work & it's very messy.

What about your staircase stain colour? Will it match the hardwood of your choice? Do you have a particular brand & colour in mind?

To answer your 1st question, no I don't have a Mattamy home :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:57 pm 

christian wrote:
The hardwood is stlawrence brand and the colour is like a ash colour, i hope mattamy will stain the stairs that colour. the quote i got from brampton hardwood for installation and taking out the tile in the foyer and kichen would be around $7500 the hardwood costing around $5.00 a sq ft.
does this sound right or too high

Why St. Lawrence & why ash :?: I strongly recommend looking into another manufacturer.

Every time my husband installs St. Lawrence, he hates it. Short, crooked boards, tapered edges, very colourful & $5 sq. ft. is not the cheapest. For that price I suggest you look at Bruce or better. You can sometimes buy Vintage, Satin Finish or others for around $5-$5.50 sq. ft. So I think even a $1.00 more per sq. ft. will be still only $500 difference & that's nothing when you see the quality difference in the above mentioned products.

And Brampton Flooring, that's another story...:roll: They don't have the greatest customer service & after sales support. They are only popular because they offer cheap in every way products. The only decent stuff they sell is Mercier or Bruce IMO.

$7,500 for this job? for approx. 500 sq. ft. (family, dining, hallway/foyer) :?: That's $15 sq. ft., $5 sq. ft. for the wood, plus install max $9 sq. ft. total! So they are charging you around $20 sq. ft. to remove approx. 150 sq. ft. of tiles :?: Just get 2 of your friends, pay them $500 a piece plus a case of 24 & will be done on the weekend :D & you still have $2,000 in your pocket :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:44 am 

Is the hardwood used by the builder consider quality hardwood?

We got the mirage (I believe that is what it is called) from Mattamy. We were told it is, but now I am wondering if that is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 am 

TThorpe wrote:

We got the mirage (I believe that is what it is called) from Mattamy. We were told it is, but now I am wondering if that is true.

If you had Mirage installed by your builder then yes, it is considered one of the top of the line manufacturers. Hopefully the installation was done also top of the line :wink: Are you having problems with your hardwood & that's why you have doubts now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:16 pm 

patrob wrote:
TThorpe wrote:

If you had Mirage installed by your builder then yes, it is considered one of the top of the line manufacturers. Hopefully the installation was done also top of the line :wink: Are you having problems with your hardwood & that's why you have doubts now?

We aren't closing until the End of July, just reading some of the other posts I want to make sure that they were not saying it is good quanlity hard wood and then really it isn't. I know it would be cheaper to do after, but I wanted my house finished when I get there and didn't what to do it afterward, but if it would be cheap hard wood then I would have considered it. But at least I know the hardwood it good, hopefully it will be installed well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:39 pm 

TThorpe wrote:
We aren't closing until the End of July, just reading some of the other posts I want to make sure that they were not saying it is good quanlity hard wood and then really it isn't. I know it would be cheaper to do after, but I wanted my house finished when I get there and didn't what to do it afterward, but if it would be cheap hard wood then I would have considered it. But at least I know the hardwood it good, hopefully it will be installed well.

I did not realize you did not close yet :wink:

Yes, Mirage wood is very good I just hope whoever installs it, does it properly. I understand that people like to have things finished when they move in & that's fine but you pay for that convenience :D

What did Mattamy end up charging you for the hardwood if you don't mind me asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:28 pm 

christian wrote:
excuse my ignorance patrob, i dont know much about hardwood. where would you suggest me buying the hardwood?Also why dont you like the ash coloured hardwood. so your saying that i should rip out the tile myself and then get the hardwood done by an installer. im not rich and i dont want to get ripped off, are you an installer, and will you be able to install it for me at a reasonable price when my house closes. I just liked the colour of the ash hardwood, and saw it in a model home by branthaven and thought it looked really good

I sent you my husband's contact #, just give him a call. He will explain everything to you, all the differences about wood species, colours, brands, etc... Sometimes it might be easier to talk about it than to write about it :wink:

He can do the installation for you if you want. And it would be much cheaper if you just got some friends to help you rip out those tiles, pay them instead, I am sure they will be glad to help for some $$ :D Hey, maybe they won't even take any $ from you :lol: But first, I suggest you ask Mattamy if they can just either stop the tiles earlier in the foyer or just install carpet & no tiles. I think it's a reasonable request.

Last edited by patrob on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:21 am 

patrob wrote:
Yes, Mirage wood is very good I just hope whoever installs it, does it properly. I understand that people like to have things finished when they move in & that's fine but you pay for that convenience :D

What did Mattamy end up charging you for the hardwood if you don't mind me asking?

It is worth it for us, especially when we can add it to the mortgage. :D
We paid around 3000 for the main floor to be done. I just knew that if I didn't get it done now we probably wouldn't get it done for a long time, and after waiting what will be over 22 months (with no more delays) I didn't want to wait to move in even a few days after we get our keys, otherwise there would have been a lot of things I would have got done after closing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:14 am 

TThorpe wrote:
It is worth it for us, especially when we can add it to the mortgage. :D
We paid around 3000 for the main floor to be done. I just knew that if I didn't get it done now we probably wouldn't get it done for a long time, and after waiting what will be over 22 months (with no more delays) I didn't want to wait to move in even a few days after we get our keys, otherwise there would have been a lot of things I would have got done after closing.

I know what it's like to wait for your house, we waited 19 months with a 6 month delay from orig. closing :roll: :D

I am sure you will be happy with your hardwood floors :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next